To all of you on the East coast

SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior MemberPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
:angel2: Hope everyone is okay and stays that way. Keep your head down and stay safe, my friends.
The answer to 1984 is 1776

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    So far so good.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Be careful, be smart.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,204 Senior Member
    Stay safe all!
  • Hugh DamrightHugh Damright Member Posts: 169 Member
    I've got snow! Looks like just 1/2" or so. And high winds. Sheesh it was 80 degrees just a few days ago.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    Stay safe and warm folks.
    This message has been deleted
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    Yeah it was a whole lotta nothin' for us. We got rain and some snow/rain mix this morning and it has been breezy but so for it did noit meet the local news drama team.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    We lost power from about 10:30 last night until 6 this morning, but other than that all seems well. I need to do a walkaround on the house in a bit, make sure we're not missing any shingles or siding.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • MnewkirkMnewkirk Member Posts: 40 Member
    We were prepped well, but our lights only flickered. Usually, if a deer farts, we lose power. I don't get it...
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,815 Senior Member
    No power since Monday night also means no running water. Internet/cable/phone came back yesterday and I have a small generator powering the fridge, computers and TV. No heat so the house is a balmy 57 degrees indoors. Gas shortages everywhere!!! Thank God we have plenty of warm clothing food and gas. Lots of wind damage and downed trees. could be a few more days before we are back to normal.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,344 Senior Member
    Hang in there Enzo. I figured you guys would be alright.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,519 Senior Member
    My youngest daughter was stranded in NYC in a building with no power, but finally got a flight out yesterday.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Hang in there Enzo. I figured you guys would be alright.

Thanks brother. We'll survive! If there is no power by the AM an electrician is coming in at 8:30 to wire the furnace to the generator. Problem is we have BIG gas shortages going on because of all the folks running generators. Spent about 30 minutes today just waiting to get to a pump to fill up the Jeep and two small gas cans. If it gets bad I'll start siphoning gas out of the boat. I think I have about 80-90 gallons left in that tank.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Big Chief wrote: »
    My youngest daughter was stranded in NYC in a building with no power, but finally got a flight out yesterday.
    My BIL works in Wall Street and he has been told he won't be getting into his building in quite a while. Apparently the basement(s) are now a salt water indoor pool with all the damage that's associated with that event. The subway station I normally come into when I go downtown now requires SCUBA gear to navigate.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I just talked to my friend in Manhattan. She's drunk and she's angry. Glad I'm not there.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Still no power but genny getting us by. Fireplace is doing its job. Gas stations very busy wwith ny and nj plates. Another storm on tap for wed or thursday...oh well.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Good call on the boat gas, Enzo! Do you have a hand pump, or some other way to transfer it out of the tanks?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Good call on the boat gas, Enzo! Do you have a hand pump, or some other way to transfer it out of the tanks?
    Jerry

Yep, figured out a while back that 1/4" inside diameter poly tubing makes for a darn good siphon, A little slow but very manageable and easy to snake past the anti-siphon devices they put in gas tanks now-a-days :tooth:.
    OK- - - - -as long as the boat is on a trailer and you can get the catch container lower than the tank. Siphoning a tank while the boat is in the water is a lost cause! Of course, if it was floating, it would be beached now, wouldn't it? I've rigged a quick-connect fitting between the fuel pump and the carburetor on some of my road service vehicles so I could fill an emergency can by using my main engine fuel pump.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    OK- - - - -as long as the boat is on a trailer and you can get the catch container lower than the tank. Siphoning a tank while the boat is in the water is a lost cause! Of course, if it was floating, it would be beached now, wouldn't it? I've rigged a quick-connect fitting between the fuel pump and the carburetor on some of my road service vehicles so I could fill an emergency can by using my main engine fuel pump.
    Jerry

That is a GREAT idea!!! Someone else just sugested that to me too. I might have to look into that. And yes the boat is on a trailer.
    Be sure and put a petcock shutoff in the line between the QC fitting and the main fuel supply. Nothing like a leaky QC fitting to saturate the underhood area with gas and mess up your whole day!
    Jerry
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I just talked to my friend in Manhattan. She's drunk and she's angry. Glad I'm not there.

It's one thing if ya lost yer only home , (though most smart people don't live on the beach of the North Atlantic year 'round), it's the RICH people complaining about damage to their beachfront summer vacation mansions (2nd or 3rd home!) and seeking donations that ticks me off.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Power came on at 10:30 last night. Let it go for about 30 minutes then started re-plugging stuff back in.
    Thought we lost the fridge...ran great of the genny for 4 days (fridge, then spare freezer, the coffee pot then micro...only one at a time), but then went wonkey. Thought I fried the compressor. Plugged into grid power and after 5 minutes, she came back to life!
    Kids did great, they hardly noticed a change except for having to refil the toilet to flush and flashlights after dark. Guess we prepped them pretty well.
    Lots still without power...wondering about school tommorow...we'll see.
    Stay safe all.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!