The quest for a lighter rifle

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    I have been very unimpressed with the accuracy reports with carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

I've read up some on them and never seen any poor accuracy reports. It is the internet however. Hard to tell where the advertising ends and the testimonials begin....

Only actual experience is with a few .22's (Magnum Research and Volquartsen)..... All exceptional.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    The folks I know that had problems was all centerfire
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Heck, one thing I didn't consider.....maybe I should use the 300 Wby for the project?? It WAS my first Winchester. Its a bit heavy now, 9lbs 13oz all up with 4 rounds with the 3-10x42 Monarch on the Boyd's JRS stock. I'm thinking that stock has to weigh quite a bit, IIRC that rifle was not much over 8lbs, maybe 8.5lbs, on the old factory wood stock. On the McMillan EDGE it might end up being in the low 7's hunt ready. And this is with the factory mag sporter barrel....now Weatherby makes the Mk V Ultralight with a #2 contour and that rifle is 6.75lbs. Maybe I could just rebarrel with a lighter contour barrel and get it down to a fairly light weight? Combine that with a lighter scope and possibly those Tally's, if they're lighter then my DNZ (alum. as well) I think this might be a good comb. Currently has a 24" barrel, I think I'd go 25" to save another ounce over 26".

Also just found pics on my camera of scale shots, the 308 is 9.3lbs all up! 10oz difference, that B&C must be a real porker.

super light (not quite ultra) weight 300 Wby and a 375 Ruger? I think that handles pretty much anything that walks shy of serious elephant hunting. No way I'd do that with anything that didn't have a caliber that started with ".4xx"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Heck, one thing I didn't consider.....maybe I should use the 300 Wby for the project?? It WAS my first Winchester.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.........NO! You're first love is the bench-mark you gauge everything else from. Consider it the Control group. Yeah the Browning WSM was a hot chick....but you LOVE that Weatherby....right?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.........NO! You're first love is the bench-mark you gauge everything else from. Consider it the Control group. Yeah the Browning WSM was a hot chick....but you LOVE that Weatherby....right?

I meant keeping the Weatherby and putting it on the light stock and lighter barrel. I'd keep it as a 300 Wby, just a lighter new barrel. That would save 1/2-3/4lbs right there alone.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Dressing her up in a lighter skirt = ok......but don't mess with the barrel. You ain't one for a muzzle-brake for that one, and you don't want to lop off a couple inches to lose a couple hundred FPS unless you rechamber it for .300 WSM (then what's the the point in a weatherby cartridge...right!?).
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Dressing her up in a lighter skirt = ok......but don't mess with the barrel. You ain't one for a muzzle-brake for that one, and you don't want to lop off a couple inches to lose a couple hundred FPS unless you rechamber it for .300 WSM (then what's the the point in a weatherby cartridge...right!?).

I think you are confused. It has a 24" barrel now. I'm talking about putting a lighter and LONGER barrel on it. Right now I think it has a 24" #4, I'm talking 25" #2
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    Gotcha.....so what does your research say about a longer whippier barrel? Of course you can always get a stout 20" barrel and just work out enough to carry it.....:tooth:
    sakodude wrote: »

If I had 1600$ sittin around....
    Gotcha.....so what does your research say about a longer whippier barrel? Of course you can always get a stout 20" barrel and just work out enough to carry it.....:tooth:

Seems to work fine for Weatherby and their Mk V Ultra Lightweight
    Ok.....barrel weight saving's.......the size of a can of soda....what is the detriment to that as it concerns the rifle? Seriously I ask.
    huh?

really not sure what you are asking. detriment to accuracy? probably a bit since it'll heat up faster and won't be as stiff, but for a hunting rifle I really don't see how that matters
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    How long is the barrel on your featherlite, and the 300WM barrel in your closet?

You could have either of them rechambered........

I'd take 'em all apart, start weighing barreled actions, and stocks. See what's what. You can look up the scope weights.

I'd bet you could trim down the featherlite, lighter scope, lighter stock, make it a mag pretty easy.
    The Monarch is 17.6 oz., switch to a VX-2 4-12x40 at 11.6oz, or a VX-33.5-10x40 at 12.6oz. There's 5-6oz saved, haven't even touched the rifle.

I've never been a big Winchester fan, but I kinda liked that rifle.
    What I'm seeing.....the biggest weight savings is in reducing the barrel weight, yes? You make the barrel a pencil.....you know it will walk on you right? The matter becomes, just how far it deviates within 5 rounds of firing......granted you may need only 3-5 for sighting in....what if it's good for that one cold-bore shot....then walks after that? That's what I'm getting at. What do it do for you after a couple of shots?
    Found out the cost of having the featherweight opened up, new magazine, having that barrel turned down and installed....quite cost prohibitive. To the point it didn't make sense. Pretty sure I have the 308 sold tomorrow on the factory stock, got the 2 Nikon scopes sold about 10 minutes after I posted them on 24hr. Still have the B&C stock to sell off....so far, I'm going to be a decent chunk into getting stuff to make the M70 300 Wby lighter. Kind of forgot I had that rifle. I'd rather do that one up real light then sell it. The others I'm not attached to. We'll see how far I get before looking at the Featherweight for anything, be it selling or modifying. Might be able to hold onto that one as back up or to use for something else.
    What I'm seeing.....the biggest weight savings is in reducing the barrel weight, yes? You make the barrel a pencil.....you know it will walk on you right? The matter becomes, just how far it deviates within 5 rounds of firing......granted you may need only 3-5 for sighting in....what if it's good for that one cold-bore shot....then walks after that? That's what I'm getting at. What do it do for you after a couple of shots?

The barrel is part of it. Lighter stock as well. McMillan EDGE stock weighs 1.6lbs. The chunky Boyd's probably weighs near 3lbs. So call it 1.5 lbs weight saved. Now take off the #4 barrel and put on the #2, probably another 1/2lbs saving. Go with even just a regular Leupold like JB suggested, and that is another 1/2lbs gone. Safe to call it 2.5lbs right there, give or take a few ounces. Puts that rifle a bit over 7lbs, from close to 10lbs. That is pretty big difference when actually handling the rifles side by side as I found out between switching off carrying the 308 and 30-06, and that was only like 1 1/3lbs difference.

Sighting in, do it slow and it shouldn't matter much at all. I'm sure after the 3rd shot, maybe even ON the 3rd shot if shot quickly it'll start moving around. BUT, this will be a higher quality barrel, installed under tighter specs, so walking for that custom barrel, should hopefully be less then walking on a factory barrel. Shouldn't take more then 2 shots anyways as long as I hit the stupid thing lol. All of my misses, have come from standard cartridges, as I haven't hunted with a magnum AND had a shot at game in a few years now. When I had game in the scope with any of my mags, game over.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    The barrel is part of it. Lighter stock as well. McMillan EDGE stock weighs 1.6lbs. The chunky Boyd's probably weighs near 3lbs. So call it 1.5 lbs weight saved. Now take off the #4 barrel and put on the #2, probably another 1/2lbs saving. Go with even just a regular Leupold like JB suggested, and that is another 1/2lbs gone. Safe to call it 2.5lbs right there, give or take a few ounces. Puts that rifle a bit over 7lbs, from close to 10lbs. That is pretty big difference when actually handling the rifles side by side as I found out between switching off carrying the 308 and 30-06, and that was only like 1 1/3lbs difference.

Sighting in, do it slow and it shouldn't matter much at all. I'm sure after the 3rd shot, maybe even ON the 3rd shot if shot quickly it'll start moving around. BUT, this will be a higher quality barrel, installed under tighter specs, so walking for that custom barrel, should hopefully be less then walking on a factory barrel. Shouldn't take more then 2 shots anyways as long as I hit the stupid thing lol. All of my misses, have come from standard cartridges, as I haven't hunted with a magnum AND had a shot at game in a few years now. When I had game in the scope with any of my mags, game over.

I like this plan, but I am still on the fence with the rebarreling, no experience with that is my problem, but this sounds like a doable project and you are still launching a 300 Wthby pill.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    My head is starting to hurt again. Where's your off switch?

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    And a thing for dogs. Apparently not a good thing.
    Well unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) I'm not doing well enough to just purchase every whim lol. It'd look like Cabela's in here......
    Have you purchased ANY whim?

:youknowimjackingwithyouright:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) I'm not doing well enough to just purchase every whim lol. It'd look like Cabela's in here......

Boy ain't that the doggone truth. I've got guns to cleanly take any game in North America. But I've got my whims too.
    The funny thing is though that while I look at my little collection and see holes I want to fill. If I ever got into some kinda trouble, I'd show up on the news as having an "arsenal".
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    cpj wrote: »
    Look! A German Shepard!

Figured you for more of a lap dog kinda guy. Guess you like the stockier, manly kind.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member

I'd go for the stock and scope first and see how it feels/shoots with the current barrel before going for the re-barrel. Might get most of what you want right there and save some $$$
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    Hang on while I dumpster dive by Wambli
    ......bought an aluminun ADL trigger guard (tossed the BDL bottom metal out), talley one-piece sluminum base/ring combo and with the same same scope the rifle is now about 7.25 lbs.

How do they compare to steel and aluminum versions?

:jester:
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...one of these days yer gonna pull a groin muscle just from overthinking these things...

...take your .300 barrel, cut 0.6" off the rear, rechamber it to .300 WSM, finish it to 23", load w/ RL-17, it will pretty much match a .300 WM w/ a 24" barrel...

...buy a Kimber Mt. Ascent, live w/ the .308...

...buy a Kimber Montana, a Weatherby UltraLite, or a Browning Ti or A-Bolt, no sense in buying a Remington, tearing it apart to rebuild it, you'ld be going right back to Point A...

...buy a Tikka T3 & scope & be done w/ it...
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    Work computer crashed, new one in. No spell checker installed yet.. now hush... :tooth:

How does sluminum compare to unobtainium? :jester:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    Nothing compares to unobtainium.