Home Main Category Clubhouse

MosseyBuck and I saw a Pine (American) Marten last week

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPodunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
We think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_marten

Last week, while elk hunting, we were working our way through a low area between two hills. The undergrowth and deadfall was pretty heavy, and the going was slow. We stopped to rest on a fallen aspen tree and saw a chipmunk. It bailed, and we then saw why. There was what we think was a marten after it.

It didn't stick around for long, and Paul got a better look at than I did. Regardless, it was neat to see it, and one of the many things that can make a hunt memorable even if you get skunked.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,824 Senior Member
    I don't know if you already know this or not......

When the DOW started re-introducing martens back in the wild, the locations where they were released was top-secret. I don't know if it's still true or not, but a while back they wanted you to report any sightings of martens in the wild.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Really? Cause I've seen them on the eastern edge of the Gunninson Basin up against the Divide.....thought it was just another Weasle. Should I be calling CPAW? (Formally CDOW).
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I don't know if you already know this or not......

When the DOW started re-introducing martens back in the wild, the locations where they were released was top-secret. I don't know if it's still true or not, but a while back they wanted you to report any sightings of martens in the wild.

Mike

I didn't know that, Mike. Thanks for letting me know.

Heck, I don't even know if it was a marten. Paul and I both drew that conclusion independently of each other, and it fits the description I posted.

I'll give the DOW a shout tomorrow and see if they're interested.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,824 Senior Member
    I hope you see this before you call the CPAW....I woke up this morning and remembered that it was ferrets, not martens.

Sorry 'bout that.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Good looking critters...

250px-Marten_with_Flowers.jpg

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I hope you see this before you call the CPAW....I woke up this morning and remembered that it was ferrets, not martens.

Sorry 'bout that.

Mike

Now you tell me!!!!!

I just got off of the phone with the CDOW, and was told that very thing. The guy I talked to was very nice, though, and thought it was neat that I had seen one, and even asked me where I saw it.

They're neat little creatures. The one we saw had a darker face than the one posted. It was more of a gray/black sort of thing, as I recall. Anyway, I'm glad it graced us with its presence, even if it only lasted a few seconds.
    Jerry