Butler Creek Scope Covers

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,837 Senior Member
Years back, the flip-open scope covers were the best thing since sliced bread...however, since Bushnell took over Butler Creek the same scope covers are junk - hinges break at the slightest bump, covers crack when it gets cold, they pop open without being popped open,....anyone else experiencing the same thing? So without going to the $80.00 Leupold aluminum scope covers (great kit by the way)...what's everyone doing for a scope cover? So far, the best thing I've come up with is a bikini cover wire tied (zip tied) to the scope tube...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I hear ya, they've become total crap! I'd love to have an affordable alternative.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Years back, the flip-open scope covers were the best thing since sliced bread...however, since Bushnell took over Butler Creek the same scope covers are junk - hinges break at the slightest bump, covers crack when it gets cold, they pop open without being popped open,....anyone else experiencing the same thing? So without going to the $80.00 Leupold aluminum scope covers (great kit by the way)...what's everyone doing for a scope cover? So far, the best thing I've come up with is a bikini cover wire tied to the scope tube...

That's what I use except the bikini is tied with para cord to the front ring. Those bikinis are becoming harder to find around here, btw.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Thanks...I just bought a couple after years of using a Bikini cover....with the Bikini, I could just yank the whole thing off and get to shooting. Now I have THIS to look forward too?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,597 Senior Member
    Ditto bikini, I hate to dis a local company (Bushnell) but I will NEVER buy any of their crap- er products. Once burned twice shy.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Situations differ in my parts.....they're not bling for looking cool.....they are a necessity.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Bikini.

Besides, that way, the scope and I can match.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,267 Senior Member
    Back when tires still had innertubes, I cut up a bunch of them for scope covers. Now, they're scarcer than the bikini covers!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Back when tires still had innertubes, I cut up a bunch of them for scope covers. Now, they're scarcer than the bikini covers!
    Jerry

Good idea, I have a couple motorcycle tubes I could try that with.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,267 Senior Member
    Farm supply stores still stock tubes for trailers, tractor front tires, etc. A piece of a motorcycle tube might come out too short. Unless you pick a tube about the cross-section size for a mid-sized car or trailer tire, it takes a lot of stretching to get it over the end bells. Get a little careless removing a tightly-stretched one, and you'll smack yourself in the eye!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Bikini.

Excuse me...I gotta go wash out my minds eye with Clorox...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I don't know if Chlorox is strong enough for that.

Seriously, I still have BCs. My two complaints are one, the price and two, the rear one keeps popping open on a couple of them. Other than that, I have had ok luck with them. Nothing is made like it used to be. Time makes a lousy yardstick. The newer made stuff just doesn't measure up.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    If there are no pics it didn't happen:yikes:
    Zee wrote: »
    Bikini.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I'm using the Butler Creeks because that is what there is. I agree that the quality is poor, but they mostly work for me, with an occasional aggravation. I would pay twice the price, for twice the quality, though.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,810 Senior Member
    I use ones made out of the inner tubes from the front tractor tires. I have several of the tubes I got from my own tractors when I changed the tires. Cut out slices of tube and run them through a wash cycle with the blue jeans to clean them up, then cut them to shape. Not pretty but they function well.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Mahalo for this post. I was just thinking about buying a set. Guess I'll stick with the neoprene cover for now.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776