Home Main Category Personal Defense

Advice on small CC 9mm

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
I know it's been done to death, but not by me.

I want a smaller CC weapon. For now, I'm focusing on 9s. I have a soft spot in my heart for five shot j frames, but that's later.

I haven't shot any of the small nines. I also have medium large mitts and despise my pinkie hanging off the grip. That is something I'm willing to work with, so don't let that discourage any suggestions.

I know several of you have Kahrs. Are there any others? Wambli had that thin Berretta? I think it was.... I handled one of those a couple years back. Sweet but expensive if I remember right. Wambli let me know what make and model that one was.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    My XDs in .45 is the same size as my Kahr 9mm and .40 S&W. Not a pocket gun, really, but better than most when carried IWB. I also have a S&W 642 with laser grips that I'm very fond of. I've held the Ruger LCR and I like it, too, even though I intended not to.
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    I recently bought a Ruger LC9 with a laser and I'm very happy with it. It's light, flat, and so far 100% reliable with HydroShoks. Shoots right to POA. Got it on sale at Bass Pro on sale for $399 including the laser thingie.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    My two favorites right now are the M&P Shield and the Beretta Nano mainly due to price at this point.

The Kimber Solo, Walther PPS, and some of the Kahrs are nice too. I think I will get the Nano at some point.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    That's it, the Walther.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Over the last couple of years I've put probably 50-60 rounds through Phil's Walther PPS. It is extremely easy to shoot, but as you mentioned, expensive.

I actually like the feel and trigger of the M&P Shield better than the PPS, but I haven't shot one yet. I intend on getting one, just don't know when.
    When did Phil get a PPS?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    My favorite 9mm.... 9x18..

egmak1961.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I know they're in short supply, but try to get your hands on an M&P Shield. I got the first one my LGS got in and love it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Twinkle twinkle little Star! The Star M-43 Firestar!

20111126_01.jpg

Though Interarms , Star and Spanish pistols in general are pretty much history , these little jewels can still be found at very nice prices. Ergonomically a miniture 1911 with some BHP and CZ features thrown in , they are excellent pistols. 100% reliable , great safety features , 7+1 capacity , all steel construction , I think they was Gun of thr Year back around '91 or so.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,750 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Any other suggestions?

Why would you want anything other than a Kahr PM9? Pricey....well...a little, but I bet you'd keep it forever.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    One more vote for the SW M&P Shield. Conceals easily and shoots great

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    The wife bought a Ruger LCP earlier this year....since then I have tried my best to hate it...ain't happening...It shoots well and functions reliably...and hides nicely in a back pocket of my jeans....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    I love my Keltec PF-9. I got it based upon the recommendations of many members here, especially LMLarson. Slim, light, and the trigger pull isn't bad at all. Long double action pull, kind of like shooting a DA revolver.

Plus you can't beat the price, I paid $269 for mine after transfer fees.
    When did Phil get a PPS?

Couple a years. :tooth:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I love my Keltec PF-9. I got it based upon the recommendations of many members here, especially LMLarson. Slim, light, and the trigger pull isn't bad at all. Long double action pull, kind of like shooting a DA revolver.

Plus you can't beat the price, I paid $269 for mine after transfer fees.

The PF-9 is a terrific little pistol! It's a bit smaller than the Shield so it fits in my jeans pocket just fine.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Couple a years. :tooth:

That punk. He never showed me that....

Or maybe he did and I forgot it. :D I was too enamored with his African mounts....
    So in summary, Kahr (I'll research which model), Ruger LCP, Walther PPS, S&W M&P Shield, Keltec PF-9, one of Dsn's Maks, and that Star thingie...
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Recently puchased don hume paddle holster for my CW-9, so far very pleased with performance. Comforting and comfortable.
    Gingerly wrote:
    That punk. He never showed me that....

Or maybe he did and I forgot it. :D I was too enamored with his African mounts....

Or maybe it's been more than a couple of years since you've graced us with your presence. :wink:

Gingerly wrote: »
    So in summary, Kahr (I'll research which model), Ruger LCP, Walther PPS, S&W M&P Shield, Keltec PF-9, one of Dsn's Maks, and that Star thingie...

The LCP is a .380, not a 9mm.

The Keltec quality is hit and miss......not as bad as Taurus, but still quite a few lemons coming from them.

If you're going with something as heavy as a Makarov, or as heavy and big as a Firestar, you should go ahead and look into a Glock 26/19 or a Smith & Wesson M&P9c.

Just my opinion of course.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,662 Senior Member
    Plastic? PM9

27940.jpg

Metal? MK9

KAM9098_1.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    I have a little experience with a S&W 990L. It is bare bones stupid, but worked well.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,945 Senior Member
    Only experience is with a Makarov and a PF-9. PF-9 is a heck of a pistol for the price.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member

If you are leaning toward Kahr, I would vote for the K series, having owned two of each. I never had any trouble with the plastic framed models I owned, but the all steel models feel better to shoot, without being excessively heavy to carry.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    The LCP is a .380, not a 9mm.

Thanks Eli...my mistake...it's an LC9 not an LCP....still a good pocket pistol...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    If weight and accuracy are issues, check out the PA-63. Aluminum Titanium alloy frame, shoots a 95 gr bullet at 1000 FPS and is very accurate.

pa63.jpg

They work best with a $20 spring kit upgrade from Wolff Gun Springs.

This gun shot this group at 25 yards from the bench. Notice the four shot group on the lower right. The other three are either me, ammo or both.

221810_1987496293891_3635333_n.jpg

25 ounces loaded, 7 plus 1 capacity.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I use the Kahr CW9 as my current regular carry gun. I like it. I think the extra mags you buy a bit pricey though
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Here is my J-Frame on TOP of my Kahr K9.
    IMG_35911.jpg
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wow. That's a very telling shot. Thanks for that Chiro. I've handled the j frames, so that picture puts it in perspective.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    I love my Springfield XD9 subcompact. Comes with two mags 10 and 13 round, the latter extended mag keeps my pinky in place. Easy maintenance, easy conceal and easy to control.

Rootbrain