Home Main Category Personal Defense

Advice on small CC 9mm

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    It's dimensions surprised me, I have some fairly large mitts and I like the Kahr, it has a LONG trigger pull.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Here's my J-frame, it doesn't serve any purpose regarding this thread......I just think it looks purty. :tooth:

2-22-2012028.jpg

2-22-2012034.jpg
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    It is purty. Like it's owner.
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    The previously mentioned article in the December Guns & Ammo is a must read for any of you who are interested in this thread. Dick Metcalf does a thorough and objective review of small nines from Beretta, Kahr, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, S&W and yes, Taurus.
    And the on line version on the G&A home page is only about one half the article. If you aren't a subscriber, get yourself a copy and read the whole story.
    conchokid wrote: »
    The previously mentioned article in the December Guns & Ammo is a must read for any of you who are interested in this thread. Dick Metcalf does a thorough and objective review of small nines from Beretta, Kahr, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, S&W and yes, Taurus.
    And the on line version on the G&A home page is only about one half the article. If you aren't a subscriber, get yourself a copy and read the whole story.

orly.png
  • stancstanc New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I carry a smith 908. not tiny but light,comfortable to carry and conceal in an IWB holster and it has been reliable no matter what I've fed it. it's DA on the first pull , SA thereafter till you de-cock it.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    22x9 wrote: »
    Thanks Buffy.

Now I want a Kel-Tec PF-9.

Its great, went fishing in Arlington/Alexandria yesterday and today and it slips so easily into the back pocket of my jeans. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Yeah, Kahr. PM9. After a few mags, you won't even notice that your pinkie is hanging off. Promise.
    The CW's are pretty nice, too.

Other than that, I REALLY liked the Shield's I've handled. Worth a look.
  • Take EmTake Em New Member Posts: 9 New Member
    My two cents is to go with the Walther PPS. I did the same soul searching a year ago and ended up with one. It's extremely slim, feels great in my hand, reliable, and accurate.

The only downside I've considered is that it's a single stack mag, but I'm ok with that for an ultra-slim CC weapon. Well, I guess the price is a little more than some of your other options too.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    My advice aint worth much. Just the same I'd check out a Kahr. I personally prefer the K9 but you may prefer the CW9 or the P9 for a small CC handgun in 9mm with enough grip for your hand. If you want a slightly larger Kahr check into a T9 or the TP9. IF you aint dead set on a 9mm I sure like the feel of the Ruger SP101 in 357 and would check out the SP101 in 327 mag.
    Eli wrote: »
    orly.png

Funny pic.
    But your point is.... ?
    Funny pic.
    But your point is.... ?

It is quite rare to find an objective review in a gun rag these days, and I have NEVER seen Metcalf give a Taurus a bad review.

I'm sorry, but reading reviews in Guns & Ammo doesn't tell you which guns are good choices, it just tells you who's sponsoring the article.
    Eli wrote: »
    It is quite rare to find an objective review in a gun rag these days, and I have NEVER seen Metcalf give a Taurus a bad review.

I'm sorry, but reading reviews in Guns & Ammo doesn't tell you which guns are good choices, it just tells you who's sponsoring the article.

First of all, remember if it weren't for the "gun rag" Guns & Ammo, this forum would not be here. Please show a little respect.

You certainly have a right to comment on the content of the magazine and express your opinions. And you can disagree with what the author says about his subject (although Metcalf is one of the best and most technically knowledgeable in the business).

But remember who's house you're in when you suggest that reviews in G&A are "sponsored" by advertisers. That is not the way it works.
  • zanderzander New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I wanted a Shield 9mm but never could find one so I ordered a Beretta Nano 9mm from Shooters Plus a few weeks ago and so far I have no regrets. Fits easily in my front pocket or jacket pocket. I have only put about 75 rds through it so far but all were flawless and recoil was actually pretty tame for such a small frame gun.
    First of all, remember if it weren't for the "gun rag" Guns & Ammo, this forum would not be here. Please show a little respect.

When I first joined the forum, this was the case. Past forum crashes however have proven that we generally reconvene elsewhere until Guns & Ammo gets back up and running. Make no mistake, I truly appreciate the ease of which we are able in interact on here, but it's the other members that keep me coming back, not the banner across the top.

Also, I didn't mean for "gun rag" to hold any negative connotations, it's just that "gun mag" or "magazine" automatically bring to mind a spring actuated container designed to hold cartridges, not a periodical about firearms.

(although Metcalf is one of the best and most technically knowledgeable in the business).

I've read quite a few of his articles, the above was never in any doubt.

But remember who's house you're in when you suggest that reviews in G&A are "sponsored" by advertisers. That is not the way it works.

Your house, boss. Whatever you say, goes.
    Glad you understand. Sometimes we need to be reminded of who's making all this happen.
    Ha. With respect, this is just where we park. People and personalities make it happen.

Every one here knows about Jack O' Connor and Elmer Keith. But only a few know who they worked for or wrote for.. Those guys' personalities and pure penchant for unvarnished writing were what made them memorable.
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    Like like like.

I have to agree with you Buff. Ive been on a lot of different forums over the years. Some were hosted by an individual owner, others were on free forums. Some were part of corporate entities. None of that mattered when there weren't any good members there.

As for gun mag articles. If we relied on them for our purchases we would buy everything they reviewed. I treat them the same as I do oped articles in the papers.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    zander wrote: »
    I wanted a Shield 9mm but never could find one so I ordered a Beretta Nano 9mm from Shooters Plus a few weeks ago and so far I have no regrets. Fits easily in my front pocket or jacket pocket. I have only put about 75 rds through it so far but all were flawless and recoil was actually pretty tame for such a small frame gun.

I just held a Nano at a LGS and all I could think is muzzle flip with how high the bore axis appears to be. I love everything else about it, but not having the 3 fingers on the grip (something I usually don't mind) combined with not getting the crook of my hand higher in relation to the slide bugs me. Then again I've only shot .45 for the past 4+ years so perhaps I'm projecting.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Glad you understand. Sometimes we need to be reminded of who's making all this happen.

No offense or disrespect intended, Concho. I'm usually about the last one around here to push the limits.
    BUT, WE make this place happen. The core group. In a way, G&A is lucky to have US. Otherwise, it'd be just another internet forum.
    I've been here 12 years, and I'm not really an old timer.
    Come to a SE shoot sometime, you'll understand. It's the people.
    We did just fine the last few crashes, and actually DanJ came to the other place we were at, and asked us to come back.

I'm happy to say, some of my best friends, I've met on this forum. Heck, I just spent 9 days with 2 guys I'd never met (in person) before, but I didn't have a single doubt.

I know you guys pay the bills, and I'm grateful. You may be the heart, but we're the soul.
  • Mikey idahoMikey idaho New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    I just held a Nano at a LGS and all I could think is muzzle flip with how high the bore axis appears to be. I love everything else about it, but not having the 3 fingers on the grip (something I usually don't mind) combined with not getting the crook of my hand higher in relation to the slide bugs me. Then again I've only shot .45 for the past 4+ years so perhaps I'm projecting.

The bore axis doesn't affect the recoil as much as you'd expect, I was pleasantly surprised in mine compared to its competitors of relatively equal size.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    I wish the Springfield EMP wasn't so danged expensive. If I was to wrap my mitts around a pocket puncher, that would be it.

As for this forum, I've been to many others, and some of those people are not right in the head. I'd much rather be here, where everybody knows your name.:beer:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member
    I recently picked up a compact S&W M&P after going through an armorers course. It is just a little larger than a Glock 26. That works for me because you can grip it better. So far I have had no issues with it.
    Went to the store today, with every intention of coming home with a CM9. Just couldn't do it......the Shield that they put on the shelf WHILE I was looking at the CM9 just wouldn't let me. :tooth:

Try to get to the range some time this weekend. Y'all are going to have to wait a bit for pics.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Well played!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I wish the Springfield EMP wasn't so danged expensive. If I was to wrap my mitts around a pocket puncher, that would be it.

As for this forum, I've been to many others, and some of those people are not right in the head. I'd much rather be here, where everybody knows your name.:beer:

I like my XD9 SC from Springfield. Not as purty as the EMP but I've never had a failure, and some of the reviews have mentioned issues with the slide and or firing pin. Of course others have said different, but for 2-3 times the price of my XD, there shouldn't have been any, at least multiple issues, and damn few single issues. IMO.

Rootbrain
    rootbrain wrote: »
    I like my XD9 SC from Springfield. Not as purty as the EMP but I've never had a failure, and some of the reviews have mentioned issues with the slide and or firing pin. Of course others have said different, but for 2-3 times the price of my XD, there shouldn't have been any, at least multiple issues, and damn few single issues. IMO.

Rootbrain

I had (according to the reps at Springfield Armory) THE first EMP in Alabama, and one of the first in the country. It came from the factory with the sear/disconnector screwed up. Once the hammer was back, it wouldn't drop.

I had had problems with one of their micro compacts as well. Those two sorta turned me off of 3" 1911s. When I got the EMP back from S.A. I didn't even shoot it, just took it directly to the LGS. Since they still weren't in stores, I was able to trade even with the MSRP on the EMP.

On a side note, the EMP allowed me the single instance that I was able to get a good deal while trading guns at a gun shop. :tooth:
  • bsnyder413bsnyder413 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Once you've decided on a weapon I suggest you take a look at the VersaCarry ITWB carry system. I have one and love it. Its very lightweight, durable, easy to conceal and by far the best I carry with. Good Luck.
    Check them out at www.versacarry.com
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    That punk. He never showed me that....

Or maybe he did and I forgot it. :D I was too enamored with his African mounts....

There's a lot of things you don't know there, sugar-britches.:wink:

The PPS is a fantastic pistol. Small enough that you hardly know you're carrying it, but it shoots like a full-size pistol. If you try one, you'll be hooked.

DSCN0699.jpg
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
    Sweet. I'm gonna get my dirty paws all over that thing.