The Unions have killed an American Icon,, the Twinkies.

Replies

• LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Same here (WI) at least before Act 10 was passed. In the two years since Act 10 was proposed, we've had to go through several special elections, two sets of recalls, all of our democratic state senators fleeing to other states to avoid voting on (and thereby passing, strict party line vote with repubs holding the majority in both houses) Act 10, the takeover and occupation of the State Capital building for several months (yes, months) and two activist judges authoring injuctions to stop same. The state was required to take union dues out of each state employee's pay check regardless of the employee's status regarding membership. Private unions may be a different story (or not).

That's where I was at the time.

I moved to Michigan in '08 and since then, you now have Walker and concealed carry. Makes WI worth moving back to. I'm still in the Guard there so at least I have him in my chain of command.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,850 Senior Member
    Company: We're going bankrupt and need to cut back on pay and benies
    Union: You do and we'll strike
    Company: we can't afford not to
    Union: You do and we'll strike

Company: The bankruptcy judge approved it, pay and benies will be cut by ________
    Union: Fine... we're on strike

Company: If you're not back by this date, we're going to have to close down
    Union: Fine... we're on strike

and 1/3 of the employees put the other 2/3rds out of work.

I wonder how long until their lost income exceeds how much the company's cutbacks would have cost them??
    These days, IMO at least, a pay cut & a job still beats a JOB CUT & NO JOB by a HUGE margin
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

I wonder how long until their lost income exceeds how much the company's cutbacks would have cost them??
    These days, IMO at least, a pay cut & a job still beats a JOB CUT & NO JOB by a HUGE margin

From what Ive heard on the radio it was to be an 8% cut across the board.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Eturn wrote: »
    From what Ive heard on the radio it was to be an 8% cut across the board.

8% initially then cut to 4% after 4 or five years
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    The baker's union refused to budge and put 18,000+ people out of work. I hope their next job interview goes like this:
    Employer: Why did you leave your last job?
    Baker: We went out on strike, refused a pay cut to keep the company solvent, the company folded, and we were all let go.
    Employer: Don't call us; we'll call you.............................NOT!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

The ones that did the negotiations probably won't have to do interviews. Id imagine that they are very senior and will just be placed in other jobs with other companies that have that, or another local union. That is one downside with unions. The members that are not on the bargaining committee can not stop a strike without leaving the union. It is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't type of thing. Which is why anyone that is in a union needs to get involved and educated.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    Perhaps someone will buy the companies and put the unions out of business.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
    I wonder if Little Debbie stock went up?
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Get 'em while they're still available. Limited supply, first come, first served, etc....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOX-of-Hostess-Twinkies-Twinkie-FRESH-10-count-/160923827349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577cebc95
    (to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star")

Twinkies, Twinkies are no more,
    Unions kicked you out the door.
    You'll just be a memory,
    In the snack food industry.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Well, Robert, seeing as a Twinkie has roughly the same shelf life and health benefits as plutonium, maybe you should check your local secure military facility to see if they have a stash.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Poor timing! Just when they legalize pot!!:yikes:
    You guys don't need to worry. Ya do know that several other companies make twinkies they are just called other names.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    FiveSeven wrote: »
    8% initially then cut to 4% after 4 or five years

The new contract cuts salaries across the company by 8% in the first year of the five-year agreement. Salaries then bump up 3% in the next three years and 1% in the final year.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I wonder if Little Debbie stock went up?

Me too tennmike and also if Chattanooga bakeries stock went up too, they make Moon pies!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Eturn wrote: »
    You guys don't need to worry. Ya do know that several other companies make twinkies they are just called other names.

but,but,but, a Hostess twinkie by any other name ain't a twinkie..

Big Al1 wrote:
    Poor timing! Just when they legalize pot!!
    Yea, this will give Frito-Lay and edge won't it, with cheeto's!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well, Robert, seeing as a Twinkie has roughly the same shelf life and health benefits as plutonium, maybe you should check your local secure military facility to see if they have a stash.

Not a bad idea, I just hope if they do have some they ain't in the MRE division.
    (to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star")

You'll just be a memory,
    In the snack food industry.

:applause::rotflmao::spittingcoffee:
    Keep your personal stuff out of this

:rotflmao::roll2:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

True dat. 92% of current wage beats hell out of 100% of nothing.

Listened to a call-in to a radio show by an employee of Hostess. Not surprisingly, at this point in time he's not a big fan of either the bakers or their union.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    drwalker47 wrote: »
    Perhaps someone will buy the companies and put the unions out of business.

Now instead of saying I am eating a twinkie, I will have to say that I am eating a Bimbo:rotflmao:

Mexican company Bimbo may be eyeing Twinkies.

The Hostess family: Twinkies, Golden Cup Cakes and Zingers. Hostess Brands Inc. will liquidate its business after striking workers with the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union did not come to an agreement with company management.

By Adrian Carrasquillo, NBC Latino

Next week may be Black Friday but sweets lovers across the nation hung their heads in sorrow on a dark Friday yesterday as Hostess announced they would cease making their line of products, which include the iconic Twinkies brand, because of the Bakers Union Strike.

But now as the brand heads towards liquidating and selling off their assets, a Mexican company may be angling to resurrect the golden Twinkies.

Read the original story at NBC Latino

According to the Christian Science Monitor, while food producers ConAgra and Flowers Food, the American company behind Nature Valley granola, have expressed interest along with Little Debbie baker McKee Foods, Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo may hold the inside track.

Grupo Bimbo is the world’s largest bread-baking firm, which already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins and previously made what was considered a low-ball offer of $580 million a few years ago, Forbes reports. Now Hostess may only be worth $135 million.

Economists say high sugar prices tied to US trade tariffs were a big reason Hostess was struggling, but a Mexican company could be a lifeline for Twinkies because it would be able to take advantage of access to lower-priced sugar in Mexico.

While Hostess was clearly struggling, analysts believed Grupo Bimbo had an eye on them since the early 2000s because they saw Hostess as a key ingredient for North American expansion with delivery routes that penetrated across the country into convenience stores, gas stations and grocery markets, according to Forbes.

Daniel Servitje Montull runs Grupo Bimbo, which was founded by his family in 1954. His family is worth $4 billion.

Servitje Montull, has already worked magic before, taking on Mexico’s tortilla market and positioning white bread in Latin America.

If Grupo Bimbo pulls off a deal with Hostess for Twinkies, his next challenge will be resurrecting an American favorite.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/17/15245611-mexican-company-bimbo-may-be-eyeing-twinkies?lite
    Grupo Bimbo is after the Ding Dongs.

I'll go sit in the corner for a bit.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,533 Senior Member
    So the Bimbos are trying to have a merger with the Ding dongs and Snowball folks??
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    So the Bimbos are trying to have a merger with the Ding dongs and Snowball folks??

Bimbos, Ding Dongs, Snowballs, and Ho Hos....................This merger will be a veritable minefield of double entendres! :rotflmao:

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Bimbos, Ding Dongs, Snowballs, and Ho Hos..................

Wait, are we talking about Congress now? Thought this thread was about unions and Twinkies?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Originally Posted by tennmike

Bimbos, Ding Dongs, Snowballs, and Ho Hos..................
    Wait, are we talking about Congress now? Thought this thread was about unions and Twinkies?

I suppose one could look at that way SirGeorge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ain't much difference is there?
    I suppose one could look at that way SirGeorge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ain't much difference is there?

Hey, one is concentrated fat made up of things that don't make sense filled with worthless fluff that is detrimental to your existance and the other is a snack.
    Hey, one is concentrated fat made up of things that don't make sense filled with worthless fluff that is detrimental to your existance and the other is a snack.

OOHHHHH that is so:rotflmao::rotflmao::applause::applause: May I use that quote,Sir? Thanks!!!!!!!!! Just so:roll2::roll2: and while your in a good mood Varmintmist, if ya don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get that critter in your Avatar, to learn how to use that Bazooka?:uhm:
    No time at all, hes a Mouslim Extremist
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Here is a good article explaining why this happened. "Killing the Goose" by Thomas Sowell
    http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2012/11/20/creators_oped/page/full/

Work rules are one of the biggest problems in Union Shops, IMO.