The Unions have killed an American Icon,, the Twinkies.

Replies

• 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 285 Member
    Does anyone know the exact.....compostion of a "twinkie"?
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »

Sugar

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    But, what about petroleum Jelly? And Cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie
    Wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, shortening, and other ingredients.

The complete list of ingredients:
    Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.

Yum.........:silly:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Hmmmm- - - -three of the first six ingredients by weight or volume are sweeteners, followed by grease! Good stuff!
    Jerry
    all of the 87 most important food groups! especially the animal fat! The true mystery though, what does a twinkie look like before the yellow No. 5??????????????????
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Eturn wrote: »
    I do wonder how much of this is because of the union, and how much is because of poor management.

It's the result of poor management E.....I've got an inside line to the Interstate/Hostess plant here in Denver....From what Joel told me...the company is imploding from excessive sales wages vs. the product intake.....it wasn't the assembly workers.....it was the greed of the sales staff and administrators that caused the bankruptcy. They tried to counter by doubling the price of bread for the last year......think, when's the last time you bought Wonder Bread or Sara Lee?.....yeah....the price is way up there!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    No time at all, hes a Mouslim Extremist

:rotflmao: Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member

Good gracious, man if I knew that I probably would not have ever started eating them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then again ya only live once,well in this form of life anyway.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,497 Senior Member
    Economists say high sugar prices tied to US trade tariffs were a big reason Hostess was struggling, but a Mexican company could be a lifeline for Twinkies because it would be able to take advantage of access to lower-priced sugar in Mexico.
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/17/15245611-mexican-company-bimbo-may-be-eyeing-twinkies?lite

That's one reason, another is the fact that Hostess had to pay two seperate drivers to run each route because union rules would not allow 'bread' drivers to deliver 'snack' products. The fact that profit margins are razor thin is a third.

As to Bimbo ressurecting Hostess, they might buy the brand, but I don't think they'll re-open shuttered plants. Why would they? With scads of local-grown talent available for pennies on the dollar, they would be stupid to do it that way tariff or no.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    It's the result of poor management E.....I've got an inside line to the Interstate/Hostess plant here in Denver....From what Joel told me...the company is imploding from excessive sales wages vs. the product intake.....it wasn't the assembly workers.....it was the greed of the sales staff and administrators that caused the bankruptcy. They tried to counter by doubling the price of bread for the last year......think, when's the last time you bought Wonder Bread or Sara Lee?.....yeah....the price is way up there!

I figured that had a lot to do with it.

Now remember that the smaller and more simple the product, the more this changes. But,,,,, Labor is often the smallest piece of the pie. Materials cost, regulation, and shipping are often the highest part of it. Take the products I made when I worked for Case. A dipper cost around thirty five hundred to produce, but only between three and five hundred of that was labor.

Now that said. There are also only a few ways a company can reduce their costs. You can talk Washington into reducing regulation (often the most expensive part of producing a product), yeah like that's gonna happen. You can reduce the price of materials which means a lower quality product (can really do this in the food industry). But if you do that you loose an edge over your competition. Or you can reduce the cost of labor. You do this either by figuring a way to make that person's labor produce more, or you pay them less. But then again. If you pay the worker less, odds are you will end up getting what you paid for, and quality will suffer.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    That's one reason, another is the fact that Hostess had to pay two seperate drivers to run each route because union rules would not allow 'bread' drivers to deliver 'snack' products. The fact that profit margins are razor thin is a third.

As to Bimbo ressurecting Hostess, they might buy the brand, but I don't think they'll re-open shuttered plants. Why would they? With scads of local-grown talent available for pennies on the dollar, they would be stupid to do it that way tariff or no.

You forgot to mention they had separate dock workers to load the separate delivery trucks. Heavens forbid the same dock worker would load both Twinkies and Wonder Bread, going to the same customer. Union Work rules are killers when it comes to costs and productivity.

Ever wonder why so many production plants become fully automated vs. using real workers? No coffee breaks, absenteeism, slow downs, strikes for more wages, etc.
    Ever seen a squirrel or a rabbit that's infested with wolf-worms? The greedy parasites don't care that they're weakening the animal, and it's most likely going to die at the first hard frost that challenges its stamina. They're getting their meal of blood RIGHT NOW, and that's all they care about. I wonder if bot-flies have a union?
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,497 Senior Member

I don't doubt that poor management is a big piece of the pie. Hostess' many acquisitions over the past ten-plus years did-at the very least-compound the problems they were experiencing. I don't know the answer, but I wonder if any of the management team took the pay cuts they were asking the workers to take?

Still, I believe it would have been the wiser track for the union to give the concession...like I said earlier, 92% of current wage beats hell out of 100% of nothing. Yes, I know that they'll be getting unemployment, but I'm talking about wages here.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Maybe if they had loaded a Chevy pickup with Twinkies before the election Oblivit might have given them a bailout. Unions disgust me. At one time they were good for workers but that time past long ago. The only people that benifit from unions are the unions. HATE 'Em! :deadhorse: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,190 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Maybe if they had loaded a Chevy pickup with Twinkies before the election Oblivit might have given them a bailout. Unions disgust me. At one time they were good for workers but that time past long ago. The only people that benifit from unions are the unions. HATE 'Em! :deadhorse: Later,
    Bwaahahaha...someone came up with a new name for Oscumma.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    This is not about greed, it is about common sense, wonder how many employees on picket lines read their companies annual reports, never mind the union leaders?

I for one don't buy at face value the reasoning of a handful of guys, the big honchos creating the problem due to their huge salaries versus thousands of employees demanding more cash when surely they have no clue on how their demands will affect the REAL big picture regarding the survival of the company.

I would not be surprised that in MOST cases even if this "big honchos" decided to work for free when push came to shove the "out of the blue based" union backed demands will eventually do in many a company.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    "It's the result of poor management E.....I've got an inside line to the Interstate/Hostess plant here in Denver....From what Joel told me...the company is imploding from excessive sales wages vs. the product intake.....it wasn't the assembly workers.....it was the greed of the sales staff and administrators that caused the bankruptcy. They tried to counter by doubling the price of bread for the last year......think, when's the last time you bought Wonder Bread or Sara Lee?.....yeah....the price is way up there!"

Here's an interesting list of the management positions and salaries:

Frank Hurt: President
    Salary $262,654.00

David Durkee: Treasurer
    Salary $244,396.00

Joseph Thibodeau: Executive Vice President
    Salary $218,989.00

Steve Bertelli: Vice President
    Salary $198,062

Michael Konesko: Vice President
    Salary $184,287.00

Arthur Montminy: Vice President
    $175,433.00

Anthony Johnson: Vice President
    Salary $167,433.00

Robert Oakley: Vice President
    Salary $167,265.00

Randy Roark: Vice President
    Salary $$166,849.00

Sean Kelly: Vice President
    Salary $161,789.00

Now, folks, I think you'll agree this organization is top-heavy on upper-level executives who make obscene salaries! Particularly since these salaries are for the management of the bakers' union that refused to negotiate! Ironic, huh?

Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,346 Senior Member
    Those are extremely modest salaries for executives. Nobody is getting rich there.
    How many of their workers who are now unemployed, whom they allegedly "represent" can ever hope to earn that kind of an income? These are the union bosses' salaries, not Hostess!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    How many of their workers who are now unemployed, whom they allegedly "represent" can ever hope to earn that kind of an income? These are the union bosses' salaries, not Hostess!
    Jerry

For a union boss, that is a bit much. I thought they were elected from their own ranks to serve the best interests of their colleagues. I didn't think that they would get professional management pay. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the average worker making much more than $50-60k. If that was corporate management's pay, I would be shocked by how low it is.

Personally, I only bought those chocolate Zingers from them. That used to be Dolly Madison before they bought them up. I buy my bread from Mr. Bread (a local bakery that supplies the grocery stores around here-- I dated his daughter once. Really nice people).

Now if Little Debbie and her scrumptious Swiss cake rolls went out of business, I would be freaking out right about now.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Those are extremely modest salaries for executives. Nobody is getting rich there.

Yep.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/18/1162786/-Inside-the-Hostess-Bankery

What I take from that;
    Currently, I make $16.12 an hour at TOP rate of pay in the bakery. I would drop to $11.26 in 5 years.

Remember how I said I made $48,000 in 2005 and $34,000 last year? I would make $25,000 in 5 years if I took their offer.

The Nickles Bakery I pass every day going to work pays $8.50 an hour. They can call you any time of the day or night, and you have one hour to get to work. A loaf of Nickles bread is $1.59-$1.89, Wonder bread is $2.89-$3.29................ The math aint hard.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    cpj wrote: »
    This is VERY good news for Litlle Debbie. My buddy who peddles LD snacks cant keep up. Stores that were exclusively selling Hostess are flipping out needing snack cakes.
    Tell your buddy to work harder. There were no Swiss cake rolls on the shelves when I was at the store today. I am pissed!
    Tell your buddy to work harder. There were no Swiss cake rolls on the shelves when I was at the store today. I am pissed!

Well, that's real easy to explain; you snooze, you lose! Gotta get there early to get the goodies!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

tennmike wrote: »
    Well, that's real easy to explain; you snooze, you lose! Gotta get there early to get the goodies!
    No, all those Twinkie and Ding **** lovers are getting in on my Little Debbie action! Stupid jerks.
    No, all those Twinkie and Ding **** lovers are getting in on my Little Debbie action! Stupid jerks.

Ummm..............Like I said, you snooze, you lose. Those snack cakes are the equivalent of ammo and AR 15 rifles. Demand suddenly exceeds supply. :tooth:

tennmike wrote: »
    Ummm..............Like I said, you snooze, you lose. Those snack cakes are the equivalent of ammo and AR 15 rifles. Demand suddenly exceeds supply. :tooth:
    Until now, they liked to jam Twinkies and King Dongs in their mouths, while I ate Little Debbies. I have been eating Little Debbie for at least the last 30 years. Now she is not available? Where is the loyalty? I have been faithful. I was 18 years old and living in my car, had no food, and $1.25 in my pocket. What did I do? I bought a box of Little Debbies for 89 cents! (true story)

Debbie can have her little fling or whatever with those lovers of King Dongs, but she better know that I am the one that will still be there after the dust clears.
    Went into King Soopers the day after Thanksgiving for some white bread for my turkey sammiches......no more Wonder Bread on the shelves.....boo! But we saw this coming.

Thanks for that salary breakdown Teach......it confirmed what Joel Peters told me.....a delivery driver brings in about $40k year.....bakers and plant workers were getting less than that.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Hmmmm- - - - -you did notice that those salaries are for the bakers' union bosses- - - -not Hostess company people? How many of those low-wage members' dues does it take to support their top dogs in the style they're accustomed to? Now that they've gotten some of their suck- - - -errrr- - - -"members" laid off, I guess they'll have to raise dues on the rest of them!

Wouldn't the drivers be Teamsters? They agreed to the revised pay scale. All they have to do is support Hoffa Jr. and his goons in high style!
    Jerry
    Sorry for my ignorance.....but nowhere was it stated those were Union Boss positions....my bad for not reading y'alls minds. However, if that's the salary of Union Bosses.....then the true big-wigs are probably double those. Either way....Mr. Peters made $45K as the QC guy....Consider the driver's hours and routes, in big cities where the cost of living is higher...they weren't making bank, but they weren't hurtin' too bad either.