Home Main Category Personal Defense

Streamlights- TLR-1 or 1S?

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
Both are 160 lumens, same thing except the 1S has a strobe function. Midway has the 1S on a black friday sale at the same price as the 1, normally $20 more (with dealer discount). I like the idea of having the strobe option. My hesitation in deciding between them is because of some reviews on the 1S complaining of difficulty using the strobe mode. Simplicity of use should be key in these things. Does anyone have experience with 1S? Opinions of it vs the original?
By the way, purpose is to mount on a Glock for HD use.

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have one of each, and frankly the novelty of the strobe function wore off pretty quick. It's simple to activate, just press the momentary switch twice; the first time turns on the light, the second time starts the strobe.

Never had to use a weapon light in a real defensive situation, but after some practice with the 1S I think it's an brilliant solution to a non-existent question.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Thanks for the input. I don't have any experience, real or practice, using a weapon mounted light. Seemed like a strobe would be more effective for blinding and disorienting a BG. If the consensus leans toward it being unnecesarry I'll just go with the regular TLR for simplicity's sake.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    No desire having to push something twice before I can use it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Well, to quote GSGT Tom Highway, "More than two shakes constitutes pleasure and that is not our business!!"
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    Exactly.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member
    The strobe function has a place but not on a weapon light IMO. I would go without and not have to worry about it coming on and messing up your shooting vision.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    I have a TLR-1S on everything, but only because I get them at the same price as the TLR-1. I've used the strobing function at work, but only in situations where compliant subjects surrendering are being disoriented by it.

I would say for SD/HD, the normal TLR-1 would be superb.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I really appreciate a light more than ever, and as a product, the Streamlight brand in particular, I like the Stylus Pro and the Tac-90, the Stylus Pro is great because it uses AAA batteries found on any shelf even where I am going soon, and the Tac-90 uses a $5 battery, not common, however it is cheap enough 130 hours, to have several spares, long shelf life, and use it sparingly, and use the Stylus Pro with its cheaper and easier to obtain batteries.

I am still not crazy about handgun mounted lights, however perhaps soon as an accessory on a LE issue M-16 as well as a laser.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996