Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,757 Senior Member
A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law, CNET has learned.

Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns, according to three individuals who have been negotiating with Leahy's staff over the changes. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week

Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.

A DEMOCRAT. Allowing more federal intrusion into our personal lives.

Remember, Kiddos- Elections have consequences!
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

I hate that saying.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member

Earl, I'm surprised to see you write that. Are you turning liberal on us? You know as well as anybody that if passed, that will set a precedent and that precedent will evolve into other forms of unwarranted searches. Can I walk into your house and look through all your closets and drawers? After all, I'm fairly sure that you're not involved in any criminal activity so you should have nothing to hide.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I have nothing to hide, and I'm pissed! Do you really want some Gooberment jackwagon reading anything you could be sending, and worse yet, with no warrant? Ok, they suspect me of something, get a warrant, that's one thing; but to just randomly peep into peoples lives because they want to?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Earl, I'm surprised to see you write that. Are you turning liberal on us? You know as well as anybody that if passed, that will set a precedent and that precedent will evolve into other forms of unwarranted searches. Can I walk into your house and look through all your closets and drawers? After all, I'm fairly sure that you're not involved in any criminal activity so you should have nothing to hide.
    We really need a sarcasm font.... That was thoroughly tongue in cheek. And BTW, I've heard that from a lot of "law and order conservatives" but few liberals. Probably because the libs are all smokin' dope...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    We really need a sarcasm font....

I agree. We got the chicken smiley for Buffy so it should be doable.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    And BTW, I've heard that from a lot of "law and order conservatives" but few liberals.

Same here. That's why I pointed out that this was a democrat. As much as the libs want to say that they want to protect us from those big ol mean Republicans that want govt regulating what they do in their own bedrooms... well, your politicians are just as Authoritarian as the Republicans.

But now... they think they have a mandate.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    We really need a sarcasm font....

:roll:

amudgarden.gif
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    A DEMOCRAT. Allowing more federal intrusion into our personal lives.

Remember, Kiddos- Elections have consequences!

Forget about Bush and the Patriot act? A Republican. Elections have consequences.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,772 Senior Member
    Stripping us of our privacy has been one issue that has received overwhelming bipartisan support since 9/11. Any illusion that we have any level of privacy these days is completely gone. Much of it is directly facilitated by the internet and communications companies that are freely cooperating with the government and handing over your data without your permission. There are a few more libertarian minded folks on both sides of the isle who are fighting this stuff, but the party establishments both fully support it.

Here's another good one:
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/court-warrant-cellphone-gps-data
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Forget about Bush and the Patriot act? A Republican. Elections have consequences.

“I drafted a terrorism bill after the Oklahoma City bombing. And the bill John Ashcroft sent up was my bill,” he said when the Patriot Act was being debated, according to the New Republic, which described him as “the Democratic Party’s de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism.” Quoting Joe Biden
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    I can see 256 bit encryption programs gaining popularity, and old style code programs being used just to mess with the Feds. A concerted effort converting the poem, "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and some naughty limericks could have them going nuts trying to find the hidden meanings. :rotflmao:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,176 Senior Member
    .........And BTW, I've heard that from a lot of "law and order conservatives" but few liberals.
    I would consider myself to be a "law and order" person, but I sure as hell don't support crap like this.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I used the quotes because that's what they call themselves. They're not conservative, but that's what they call themselves...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Another guilty until proven innocent piece of legislature. Why am I not surprised.........
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,493 Senior Member
    We really need a sarcasm font.... That was thoroughly tongue in cheek. And BTW, I've heard that from a lot of "law and order conservatives" but few liberals. Probably because the libs are all smokin' dope...

I was one, but I like to think I know better now.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    PATRIOT ACT, NDAA, etc... These invasions of privacy have become the norm. Unfortunately most people are too preoccupied with pop-culture, the economy, etc to pay any attention to it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    In reality the NSA has been scanning ALL emails and phone calls for years.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Here's a good rundown on what the FBI has been up to since 1997. Nothing new here; just a new twist on what has been going on for the last dozen years. Now they don't need a warrant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_%28software%29
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    While I'm not in any way a fan of this, you're kidding yourself if you have any expectation of privacy on the Internet. Corporations are collecting data from social media, google, and anywhere else they can get it.