Home Main Category Hunting

First dove hunt of the season...hard going.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Yesterday a friend and I went hunting for feathered critters. The plot of land has a fenced-in millet cultivated dove field for special opportunity hunts. You are forbidden from hunting in the plot (only about 3 acres in size), but nothing saying not to hunt its perimeter when the special opportunity field is closed. So, no problem...

We set up the decoys and blinded up where we had seen a couple of strays fly in to the field early. We decoyed along the fence line to help ensure the birds fly over our position and we were facing away from the field anticipating incoming birds and head-on shots.

Fact of the matter, I shot at one dang bird who decoyed perfectly on our setup, but I was obviously rusty and shot under the bird (common for me on incoming target shots). our setup worked, but the birds weren't there. Pitty was we had seen dozens of the buggers on powerlines on the way in and I heard several cooing about an hour before sunset...win some, lose some...

Next time...

-Jason
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies