Home Main Category Hunting

Blew it today

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Got myself settled into the treestand and my daughter sends me a text. I answer. She sends another. You get the picture. After a few minutes of this, I glance up and looking right at me is a decent buck. I'm sitting there with my phone in my hand, Model 70 loaded, but unchambered. I do my best to put the stupid phone away, get my rifle ready, and watch Mr Whitey bound away. That was the only deer I'd seen all day. :angry:
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just like the drivers who talk (or text) all the time- - - - -HANG UP AND DRIVE! (or hunt!)
    Jerry
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I was only in the stand for 15 minutes. This story should've been titled "Easiest Hunt Ever"
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,927 Senior Member
    Still learning about hunting, gotta have a review now and then:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    And now you see why I was so excited to report to the board...."going into an area where's there's no cell phone or internet....good bye and sie ist la vie!" like I said.....put the damn phone down and hunt!

Once my party found they could text their wives from the Wi-fi from a nearby cabin......it was a battle to get them to stop.....some of y'all just don't know when to give it up for a week and enjoy solitude....truly sad.....and you're only killing yourselves.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    When I am out hunting I usually call the wife at the end of the day. Sometimes. Other than that the phone is turned off. Hunting time is for hunting.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    When I am out hunting I usually call the wife at the end of the day. Sometimes. Other than that the phone is turned off. Hunting time is for hunting.

Luis

Dont have one of them so I dont call anyone............But if someone has Jessica Alba's ph no I would definitely call her.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    At the very least, you should have used the phone to take a picture of it.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    My phone is turned off all the time unless I choose to use it.

This phone thing is like hitting your thumb with a hammer,
    you have to learn the lesson each time it happens.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    My phone stays on when hunting, passes the time when nothing's moving and also nice to keep in touch with the other hunters to let each other know of game headed their way, whatcha shoot? Ect.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    We usually learn our most valuble lessons thruogh our mistakes.

I hunt alone in cougar country, for me it's a safety crutch. I have it on vibrate and never answer it or talk on it in the woods. I do call my wife at the end of the day to check in. I told her if I don't call two hours after sun set sent the aa search party.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have learned that the way to get the deer to come out on a slow day is to pour some coffee and start a sandwich. This is a new method for me to try. I don't text, but I could learn. I think I will chamber a round first though. My Model 70 has a good safety, so I load the chamber when I get out of the truck. I just flip it to the easy-off position as soon as I get set down in the blind. I'm betting you do, too, next time. :bang:
  • Dalefan88Dalefan88 New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Dalefan88 wrote: »
    That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You weren't hunting when you sent that, were you?:tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My buddy Elvan uses a Tree Lounge stand that allows him to sleep, snack, and do a lot of other things besides pay attention. no cell phone signal, though. One day last year he woke up from a nap to find several bobcat kittens playing outside their den, 25 yards away. He learned a new way to flub a hunt last weekend- - - -stand up to use the pee bottle, and spook a buck and three does that had snuck up right under his stand from the back side!
    Jerry
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I usually still hunt. One of my faults is I'm so relaxed in the woods I like to take naps. One morning I layed down on the ground for a nap. I was sleeping on my back and let out a snore grunt so loud I woke myself up sitting up in a start, just in time to see a nice buck hghi tailing it into the brush:tissue: I still like taking naps in the woods but now I sleep on my side. Two seasons ago I was awaken by a cougar protesting my presents in his woods. That was just out right rude. :angry:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    bisley wrote: »
    I have learned that the way to get the deer to come out on a slow day is to pour some coffee and start a sandwich. This is a new method for me to try. I don't text, but I could learn. I think I will chamber a round first though. My Model 70 has a good safety, so I load the chamber when I get out of the truck. I just flip it to the easy-off position as soon as I get set down in the blind. I'm betting you do, too, next time. :bang:

Today, same treestand...Rifle chambered, phone in my pocket but turned off. Saw only does...

Adam J. McCleod

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Passes the time huh!? I guess your hunting is not the same as mine....no stands, I'm constantly moving, hiking, and still hunting..totally aware of every little thing and totally alive in every little thing, its the only time in my life I get to feel totally alive and it's very special to me....even those moments I'm exhausted from hiking up a couple thousand of feet, I'm in the moment, never let your guard down! ....not passing judgement...we just have a different method and going after very different game.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Passes the time huh!? I guess your hunting is not the same as mine....no stands, I'm constantly moving, hiking, and still hunting..totally aware of every little thing and totally alive in every little thing, its the only time in my life I get to feel totally alive and it's very special to me....even those moments I'm exhausted from hiking up a couple thousand of feet, I'm in the moment, never let your guard down! ....not passing judgement...we just have a different method and going after very different game.

Hunting whitetails sitting in a treestand for hours is possibly the most boring form of hunting ever. I do not know how hunters sit there without reading or texting or falling asleep. I can only be entertained by squirrels and birds for so long.

That said, I hunt elk, mulies, and wolves in the same manner you describe. Completely different techniques for different animal species.

Adam J. McCleod

• sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Just like the drivers who talk (or text) all the time- - - - -HANG UP AND DRIVE! (or hunt!)
    Jerry

Teach, should be againt the law to text and hunt...Just kidding.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Well Cali if it makes you feel any better.got a call Monday right as a small buck crested the hill
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Hunting whitetails sitting in a treestand for hours is possibly the most boring form of hunting ever. I do not know how hunters sit there without reading or texting or falling asleep. I can only be entertained by squirrels and birds for so long.

The greater majority of my hunting is from ladder stands and climbers and I usually sit for four to six hours at a time and I have a little electronic solitaire game in my pack that keeps me amused. I fall asleep alot also.:tooth: I run my business from my cell phone so I always turn it off when I leave for the camp as I don't want to spend the weekend worrying about something that I can't do anything about. We get no cell phone reception on the lease anyway but we do have a landline at the lodge.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me