Home Main Category Personal Defense

Group Home Invasion Scenario not so far-fetched?

bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior MemberPosts: 2,543 Senior Member
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/15/connecticut-family-tied-up-during-home-invasion/?test=latestnews

The story is a little light on detail, but since we've covered this subject numerous times, it seems appropriate to share.
Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Thank goodness nobody was injured. I hope they take some measures to be able to protect themselves in the future.

Honestly, as far as group invasions are concerned, in some cities at least, I'd be more worried about the police knocking down the wrong door and barging in.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Honestly, as far as group invasions are concerned, in some cities at least, I'd be more worried about the police knocking down the wrong door and barging in.

Luis

Very true...but in others it's a freakin team sport...Back in MI you'd read about home invasions with multiple perpetrators almost daily...very happy to have left that nonsense behind.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Very true...but in others it's a freakin team sport...Back in MI you'd read about home invasions with multiple perpetrators almost daily...very happy to have left that nonsense behind.

Wow.. that's crazy. Multiple targets!! :devil:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Wow.. that's crazy. Multiple targets!! :devil:

Hmmmm- - - - -I wonder if the local sporting clays range could dress their targets in hoodies and baggy pants? Sounds like it would be good practice!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    I pity the fools that would come through my front door with mayhem on their mind. There is no floor; only newly replaced floor joists, cross bracing, concrete blocks, and various and assorted sharp implements of destruction in 'the pit'. They would scuff their exteriors considerably. If they damaged any of the work I've done over the last week and a half, I'd be sorely tempted to take the electric chain saw sitting on the bottom step of the stairs and dismember and disembowel them. At the least, I'd want badly to take the shovel and put some megga pop knots on their noggins.:silly::roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Mike, it sounds like you're well-equipped to "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!"
    Jerry
    tennmike wrote: »
    I pity the fools that would come through my front door with mayhem on their mind. There is no floor; only newly replaced floor joists, cross bracing, concrete blocks, and various and assorted sharp implements of destruction in 'the pit'. They would scuff their exteriors considerably. If they damaged any of the work I've done over the last week and a half, I'd be sorely tempted to take the electric chain saw sitting on the bottom step of the stairs and dismember and disembowel them. At the least, I'd want badly to take the shovel and put some megga pop knots on their noggins.:silly::roll2:

You need to...at the very least...throw a rug over that hole....:jester: Just sayin....
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Now you gotta worry about a flash mob invading your house too.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    You need to...at the very least...throw a rug over that hole....:jester: Just sayin....

Now why in Hades would I want to throw a rug over the hole? That would tend to break their fall! Now, some 1" boards with 16D nails driven in them and points up scattered on the ground below would be a nice touch, though. :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Now you gotta worry about a flash mob invading your house too.

I was reading about those 'flash mobs' in Philly attacking random people on the street. Somebody had better get those kids to wake the heck up and realize the danger they're putting themselves in. A group of attackers would definitely put me in fear for my life.........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Since I've seen Al and his lady shoot, I pity the Philly mob that tries to make them the target of their attentions!
    Jerry
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    These incidents are a prime example of why EVERYONE in your household should be trained in or at the very least familiar with your home defense weapons & tactics.
    No matter how good you may be at it - anyone can be overwhelmed by sheer numbers.
    No matter how good you may be at it - anyone can be overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

However...It would be my goal to take as many of them with me as I possibly could.... When it all comes to a head, going down fighting is the better option IMHO... Kinda like dear old Dad was fond of saying said " You can kill me but you can't scare me."

Frankly, I'm surprised that there aren't more cases of some of these "flash mobbers" showing up in the morgue...
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmm- - - - -I wonder if the local sporting clays range could dress their targets in hoodies and baggy pants? Sounds like it would be good practice!
    Jerry
    Hey, Teach. That comment was not politically correct...
    Thanks.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
    bowserb wrote: »
    Hey, Teach. That comment was not politically correct...
    Thanks.

And your point? If there were ever a LESS politically correct bunch in existence, I've never met them...
    And your point? If there were ever a LESS politically correct bunch in existence, I've never met them...
    I guess I was too subtle. I really did mean "thanks for NOT being politically correct".

I run a neighborhood watch email list, and as a condition for joining, a resident must agree to leaving political correctness on the back porch. Here in Houston, we have so many "evacuees" who were blown in here from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina--and stayed here (one estimate is 15,000 ex-cons and fugitives out of the 200,000 total who stayed for the better Texas benefits)--that the FBI in certain parts of Houston will not holster their handguns. Our greatest fear is that if we have to shoot a BG, we'll be notified of a lawsuit by the BG's "fiance" filed in Nuevo Laredo.

How's that, Jayhawker?
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
    I guess I was too subtle. I really did mean "thanks for NOT being politically correct".

I run a neighborhood watch email list, and as a condition for joining, a resident must agree to leaving political correctness on the back porch. Here in Houston, we have so many "evacuees" who were blown in here from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina--and stayed here (one estimate is 15,000 ex-cons and fugitives out of the 200,000 total who stayed for the better Texas benefits)--that the FBI in certain parts of Houston will not holster their handguns. Our greatest fear is that if we have to shoot a BG, we'll be notified of a lawsuit by the BG's "fiance" filed in Nuevo Laredo.

How's that, Jayhawker?

Much better, sometimes subtlety is lost on me.

And on a smaller scale, I know exactly what you're talking about...I moved away from a gang ridden pest hole in lower Michigan a couple of years back...it only got worse when they flew in a couple of plane loads of those same "evacuees"...

By the way...a belated Welcome...
    Nashville got some of the same crew- - - -even the high school where I was teaching at the time got its share of gangbanger thugs. One kid skipped his 6-week exams to attend Mardi Gras, and got all bent out of shape when I refused to give him a makeup test. It took a little "Come to Jesus" meeting out behind the shop before he got the idea that he couldn't intimidate me. There's something about a graphic description of how a 230 grain hollowpoint works that separates the hardcore thugs from the wannabes!
    Jerry
    Last two posts to this thread:

Jayhawker:
    And on a smaller scale, I know exactly what you're talking about...I moved away from a gang ridden pest hole in lower Michigan a couple of years back...it only got worse when they flew in a couple of plane loads of those same "evacuees"...

By the way...a belated Welcome...

Teach:
    Nashville got some of the same crew- - - -even the high school where I was teaching at the time got its share of gangbanger thugs. One kid skipped his 6-week exams to attend Mardi Gras, and got all bent out of shape when I refused to give him a makeup test. It took a little "Come to Jesus" meeting out behind the shop before he got the idea that he couldn't intimidate me. There's something about a graphic description of how a 230 grain hollowpoint works that separates the hardcore thugs from the wannabes!

Thanks for the welcome, Jayhawker. Teach, I'm sorry to hear that the bottom of New Orleans' socio-economic class found its way to Nashville, too. Seems like New Orleans should be a better place to visit, now that Baton Rouge, Houston, Detroit, and Nashville took so much of the dregs of that city. However, I still will not visit there. Any place that would re-elect Ray Nagin does not deserve to get my limited vacation funds. I'll spend my holidays in Commiefornia before I'd even stop for gas in New Orleans!

I've been around some of the shooting and concealed carry forums for a few years now. I had completely forgotten about the existence of Guns & Ammo mag--a favorite of mine when I was a kid in Baton Rouge. Someone mentioned it to me the other day, and I went straight to the computer to look it up and subscribe when I got home. Then I found Guntalk radio (http://www.guntalk.com/site.php) and five years of radio shows to download and catch up. It's going to be a while before I get back to re-reading Farnam's Defensive Handgunning book.

Anyway, it's good to be here with a bunch of guys in the same lifeboat. I just hope "Captain" Obama doesn't sink us before we make it to shore!

How's that, Jayhawker?

Welcome aboard!! Any politically incorrect gun enthusiast is a welcome addition to the forum!!! :jester:

Luis
  • CoreyWCoreyW New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    One more reason why My Wife and I are starting to look for another property and get out of the city area. Not that Middleton is a bad town, far from it but we do have gang problems in a couple of cities in and around the Boise area and it is starting to spill over.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Sadly, crime follows humanity no matter where you go. Our current home is nearly as small-town America as you can get, about ten miles removed from the nearest "large-ish" city and surrounded by farmland. Trouble is, the criminal elements have cars, or know buddies who have cars, and can develop a taste for hitting areas that people feel secure enough to leave the back door unlocked at night.

In fact, about a year ago we had exactly that - illegal entry and theft that resulted in one guy found "holding" the cameras, Ipods, cell phones, etc. pleading out to possession of stolen property. And any high school in America will have its elements of the drug crowd, the gang members (real or wannabee's), and the criminally minded. Small town is no longer the insulation most people used to think.
    Very true, but at least out here in the sticks I can shoot without worrying about hitting the neighbors house..just sayin...
    We have had some B&Es here, normally turns out to be some city dirtbags out for a cruise in the country...however, it's actually so rare these incidents make the front page of the local paper.

Another downside to country living...you actually need to be better prepared to deal with problems on your own...normal response time from the SD is about 45 minutes....
    Yep. Even rural America is not an escape. A friend of ours live in an area about 60 miles from Houston on a ranch. Burglarized three times in two years. Of course, they have a big motor home stored under a cover, so it is pretty obvious when they're gone, and there is big empty space where the motor home would be. In fact, it may be a bit safer in the city, where it is harder to skulk around unnoticed, especially when you have neighbors who watch out for one another when they're gone. On our street, if a strange car stops and the occupants stay in, someone among us takes a picture of the front or back of the car (with the license plate) and calls the constable immediately. It does take communication and cooperation among neighbors, though. Also, at least six of us on the street and CHLs and are always armed--and that includes a couple of housewives and work at home people. It's not the answer, but it can help.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Also, at least six of us on the street and CHLs and are always armed--and that includes a couple of housewives and work at home people. It's not the answer, but it can help.

Wow. That sounds like a good neighborhood to call home. Also, new reality show idea - "Not-so-Desperate Housewives!"
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Starting to happen more and more in the 'burbs , even the more affluent ones. Kids want to be gangsta'kool so they act like the inner city savages more and more. And more and more of the inner city savages find their way to the 'burbs because they think the rich anti-gun , anti-violence suburbanites won't fight back..

neighbor.jpg
  • CoreyWCoreyW New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    We understand that, completely. I have no illusions about crime moving out of the urban areas and we will still need to be relatively close for work. There are pro's for living in a close community I just am coming to the conclusion that sometimes it might be better to just shoot, shovel and shut up and I need more backyard to do that:jester:.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    CoreyW wrote: »
    We understand that, completely. I have no illusions about crime moving out of the urban areas and we will still need to be relatively close for work. There are pro's for living in a close community I just am coming to the conclusion that sometimes it might be better to just shoot, shovel and shut up and I need more backyard to do that:jester:.

Sign on country road driveway entrance:

No trespassing!
    I have a shotgun , rifle ,
    200 acres and a backhoe!
    Anyone found trespassing here,
    will never be found again!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/15/connecticut-family-tied-up-during-home-invasion/?test=latestnews

The story is a little light on detail, but since we've covered this subject numerous times, it seems appropriate to share.

Unlikely, but not far-fetched.

Recently, in my jurisdiction, a man's home was invaded by four men looking to steal weapons. Here is the short of it.

The homeowner owns firearms. He took in an employee of his and allowed him to stay in his home, paying rent. The tennant has a criminal history, but the homeowner is unaware of it. While the homeowner is out, the tennant snoops about the house and finds the gun vault, then drawing a layout of the house on a piece of paper, illustrating where the vault it. He provided this blueprint to four folks who intended on burglarizing the home while the homeowner was at work. He stayed home instead, parking hsi car in the garage which he rarely does. The burglars thought he was not home as was planned and kicked in the front door (in broad daylight). They were confronted in the long entryway of the house by the homeowner and his 1911. Two suspects were shot (not fatally) and the other two fled. Three in total were apprehended, one remains at large.

So, unlikely, but not far-fetched. And my jurisdiction is 80,000 people. Not huge, but not small. Anytown, USA.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers