Home Main Category Hunting

Guess who harvested her first deer? Me!!!

Replies

• christiechristie Member Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks everyone.

I have made a lemongrass/cinnamon soup and sauerbraten and I still have many, many huge bags of meat to cook up.

I love it.
    "I couldn't be more proud and humbled by the experience"- said by a successful someone
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Awesome indeed!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

I guess the peanut gallery won't harass a woman shooting a 270...
    Since the running joke is about it being a "woman's gun" and Christie fits the description, no peanut gallery comments :tooth:

Most of that is for the benefit of someone else anyway.

Congrats on your first deer Christie :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    christie wrote: »
    :applause: :love:

Hopefully the pic uploaded.

edit to add I used .270 150gr. Vanguard @ 30 yards

Congratulations Christi on having the intelligence to use such a great Cartridge and Rifle. The .270 Winchester is my favorite cartridge and the Vangard-Howa 1500 action is one of my favorite rifles. I have a Howa, which is the Vangard's action, with a Krieger barrel in . 250 Savage. It is a great combo too. My .270 is a Model 70 Winchester made in 1966. I bought it new in High School in the summer between my Jr. and Sr. year. I have killed more deer with it than any other rifle. I now have several rifles in several calibers, some I have had custom made for me. But I still go back to that old Model 70 .270 Winchester as my go to rifle.

I realize there are many great calibers out there and some may even be better all around, but for deer, I don't think anything outdoes it. I also love the 30-06, and several .25 calibers. I have a 300 Weatherby Mag. and a 7mm Remington Mag. I can see great potential in all of them, but that old .270 I just can't forget. It has done it for me for 46 years and just keeps on keeping on.

So congratulations on it all. I love to see women hunting. Mellisa Bachman is one of my favorite Outdoor show hosts and she hunts everything with everything from Bow to modern rifles and all in between. The more women we have in this sport represents that many more votes. If we want to keep our rights we need as many people as we can get to join our ranks. So keep on keepin on and I hope you kill a bunch of deer.

Edited to Add:

I suckered into posting on here again, because I had forgotten that it has been here since November and I saw recent posts just above here, LOL!!! But anyway, what I said here is pertenant to the occasion since the name "Woman's Gun" predictably resurfaced. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a woman's gun. A rifle is a rifle is a rifle. But it there were such a thing that some would call a woman's gun because of reduced recoil and light weight, it would be one of the 7mms such as 7mm Mauser or 7mm-08 or even the .260 Remington. It might could be a .25-06 too, but nothing else in the 06 case family would qualify as such an animal. I guarantee there are few of you guys here who would relish shooting my .270 5 times off a bench without using something for an extra pad.
    This also brings up another good point. Not all women are recoil skiddish. I know one woman here that is a farmer's wife and she's a hell of a farmer herself that regularly shoots her .458 Win Mag. and she's not a big woman. So the "Woman's Gun" is a figment of some people's imagination. There are plenty of us men who are wimpy about recoil too. I for one do not like it. But when at the bench I use my Past Recoil Shield and while Hunting I don't notice it.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Excellent, Christie! Proud for you....way to go!

All 'yall take another look at the photo. Look into this Young Lady's face and eyes....CONFIDENCE! She will do whatever she wants to in life successfully!
    Rip and thanks to this man's kindness and encouraging words
    "I couldn't be more proud and humbled by the experience"- said by a successful someone
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,145 Senior Member
    Welcome back.  Looking through this thread brought many fond memories of some no longer with us
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,330 Senior Member
    Wow, great memory lane trip!  Welcome back!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Since the running joke is about it being a "woman's gun" and Christie fits the description, no peanut gallery comments :tooth:

She said herself that she wanted to plug it with her .303 like any good descendant of the Empire, but the fates intervened.  So really, a .270 isn't even a woman's gun of choice. :D

Nicely done!  All three of mine thus far were about that size.  I'd say he's tasty.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Diver43 said:
    Welcome back.  Looking through this thread brought many fond memories of some no longer with us
    Really?

Please tell me, who else is gone?

May they all rest in peace.

🌺

I miss this forum and I intend to go hunting again this season for first time in a couple of years.
    Bigslug said:
    knitepoet said:

She said herself that she wanted to plug it with her .303 like any good descendant of the Empire, but the fates intervened.  So really, a .270 isn't even a woman's gun of choice. :D

Nicely done!  All three of mine thus far were about that size.  I'd say he's tasty.
    Oh he was tasty.
    Tired of relying on b12 supplements and would rather have venison in my freezer to pull from for meals again.
    I better get a range membership again to start practicing with my .303 again.
    GunNut said:
    It was a great trip reviewing these threads.

Glad to be back and glad to see you and other familiar members.

Bigslug said:
    knitepoet said:

Oh he was tasty.
    Tired of relying on b12 supplements and would rather have venison in my freezer to pull from for meals again.
    I better get a range membership and start practicing with my .303 again.
    christie said:
    GunNut said:

We really enjoy having you here!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    christie said:
    GunNut said:

We really enjoy having you here!
    Ok!
    I'll come back every day!😀
    It's safe and knowledgeable and fun here.
    Thanks. this improved my day, GunNut
    👍👍👍

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    edited July 2020 #47
    Man about 17 of the people who posted in this thread are gone or not posting anymore. Wow!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited July 2020 #48

christie said:
    :applause: :love:

Hopefully the pic uploaded.

edit to add I used .270 150gr. Vanguard @ 30 yards
    That was second week November 2012 I believe.
    Eastcentral Saskatchewan in Canada up by the treeline
    Zee said:
    Man about 17 of the people who posted in this thread are gone or no posting anymore. Wow!
    awww.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    edited July 2020 #50
    Because it was a chance for those of us who have been here for a spell to visit briefly with some old friends...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    JohnHDoe...he of many names...is gone again
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Persistent buggar. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 387 Member
    edited July 2020 #53
    We will never know if he can hunt like a wolf.

AlleyCat said:
    We will never know if he can hunt like a wolf.

Or if he ever gets to hunt doves...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,964 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    JohnHDoe...he of many names...is gone again
    I was wondering. I'm still not clear on who this might be, but he really seemed to know the forum culture too well for a newbie.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    This would be he who was known as Bobbert, DovesIndefinitely, etc, etc,etc..
    He's set something of a record for getting kicked off the board...
    But we can play Whack-A-Mole all day long...

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    It was actually very cool to see this thread pop up again.  I love first harvest posts, in general.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,939 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Man about 17 of the people who posted in this thread are gone or not posting anymore. Wow!
    Several stopped posting in 2015, Razorbacker passed away, what tripped up the rest back then?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    5280 shooter II is another who passed away a few years back.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    It was actually very cool to see this thread pop up again.  I love first harvest posts, in general.
    Yes, me too. It brought back good memories and I'm looking forward to hunting again this season.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Several stopped posting in 2015, Razorbacker passed away, what tripped up the rest back then?
    awww, RIP Razorbacker