Home Main Category Hunting

Blooded the Big 8

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
We chose to take our Thanksgiving holiday as a hunting camping thing. It was great.I mostly still hunt, what we call, "slippin'" So that's what I was doing Saturday. It's tough hunting. The leaves are mostly down and it's very dry. It's like walking on a 6"layer of Dorito chips.
But deer make a racket moving too. You just take 2 steps, stand there a long time, glassing thickets, looking for an ear twitch, a shiny eye, a glint of sunlight off a patch of hide. It takes hours to cover a few hundred yards.
When I left camp that morning, Rikki said, "don't come back without meat". At about 2pm I got hungry. That's when I realized I'd forgotten my lunch.Two things rang in my head, her last words and my mantra, "strive to persevere". I continued on.
I was nearing my stand I'd hung for bowhunting where I had originally planned to turn East and uphill. There's a big tree down across the trail just shy of there and I decided that would be a good place to sit down, shirk off my backpack, suck down a bottle of water, do some serious glassing with my 10x40 nickons and consider my options. So i did. Then I heard a commotion in the Dorito chips. It was a fork horn. I got on him in the scope and didn't even try to make a browtine appear to make him legal under our 3 point rule. He crossed the trail in front of me at perhaps 5 to 7 yards. More Dorito chip noise perhaps 40/50 yards behind him. A little basket racked 6 .I was sore tempted as I'd passed on 2 does 2 days earlier, and started the day with the if it's brown it's down attitude. He turned to his right, trotted off and back up hill. i kept him in the scope and he stopped facing directly away from me perhaps 100 yards off. I actually put the crosshairs on his neck and snicked the safety off. i had him dead to rights. But kept hearing a commotion up hill in the thick stuff. I looked up there and saw this guys rack above the brush. So i swung on him, watched him mill around for a while til he presented a shot. He stopped slightly quartering away, giving up the heart shot.
So I took it. i kept him in the scope while I worked the bolt. He did that classic heart shot thing. He bucked and kicked up his hind legs. Turned and ran down hill for maybe 20 yards then slid in like 747 with a nose gear problem.
I walked over, took a knee to thank God for his bounty, tagged and dressed him and began the long drag back to camp.
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,510 Senior Member
    Nice work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    Sounds like a good time for sure.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,009 Senior Member
    Very nice, congrats.

Sako
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    Sounds like a good time for sure.

Thanks Ernie,coming from you and Z I consider that high praise, If you look at the second pic that's the entrance wound. I hand to pull that foreleg up to find it and take the pic so it was really tucked in there. I didn't pace off the distance but it had to be right at 100 yards. I'm sighted in dead on at 100 yards with this rifle /scope combo. The autopsy revealed the heart was unrecognizable as an organ. The lungs were a soupy mess. i had already taken the heart out but when I cut the diaphragm loose in field dressing it all trickled down as a bloody mess. Those Core Locts work.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Very nice! Congratulations!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Congratulations Razorbacker.
    I like your description of the conditions underfoot. Quite a few hunters dont take into account that under those circumstances even deer make a lot of noise.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Great story
    nice deer.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Good job!
    Nice to see so many members having good luck.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    orchidman wrote: »
    Congratulations Razorbacker.
    I like your description of the conditions underfoot. Quite a few hunters dont take into account that under those circumstances even deer make a lot of noise.
    Thanks man, and to everyone else who replied. And you're right, everything makes a racket under these conditions, and the deer can't just bolt wild eyed at every crunch of leaves. You just have to go real slow and spend a lot more time looking than walking.
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Congrats on a nice buck!
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Way to go, good job, like it.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    A true man of his word glad those old mushrooms worked.
    Congratulations On a nice deer and shot
    I'm on intermission right now only saw a small guy today.
    going back out soon
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Congrats on a nice buck.

Maybe I missed it, but what's the 'big 8'?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Congrats on a nice buck.

Maybe I missed it, but what's the 'big 8'?

He got talked into buying an 8mm mag
    Weatherby wrote: »
    He got coerced into buying an 8mm mag

FIFY and good luck on your hunt
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Thanks man, and to everyone else who replied. And you're right, everything makes a racket under these conditions, and the deer can't just bolt wild eyed at every crunch of leaves. You just have to go real slow and spend a lot more time looking than walking.

:that:
    What you say is right on with my thinking. If you stalk like you describe, take a few steps, then stop and be very still, the deer will most likely not be on to you, from sight and sound anyway. You will most definitely draw his attention in the dorito patch, but if you stop ever few steps, the deer will look around and go back to his business. However, if you continue walking you will draw his attention and he will sooner or later figure out he's not alone.

Great description Razor, and I'm very happy for you. Congrats.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    :that:
    What you say is right on with my thinking. If you stalk like you describe, take a few steps, then stop and be very still, the deer will most likely not be on to you, from sight and sound anyway. You will most definitely draw his attention in the dorito patch, but if you stop ever few steps, the deer will look around and go back to his business. However, if you continue walking you will draw his attention and he will sooner or later figure out he's not alone.

Great description Razor, and I'm very happy for you. Congrats.

Thanks buddy. And that is the way I still hunt, rarely more than 2 steps at a time. Then glass for sometimes 10 minutes or more. It's been an effective tactic for me over the years. I like to stop by a tree if possible. It helps me steady my binocs, and this is important because when I glass cover, I really pick it apart and if I see something way out yonder I've got a steady rest handy.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,934 Senior Member
    Thats 3 more bucks than I saw this year, nice hunting.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    True Still-Hunting.....it's an art and a science.....thank you for taking a knee. Sometimes we all forget the higher power during a hunt.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    True Still-Hunting.....it's an art and a science.....thank you for taking a knee. Sometimes we all forget the higher power during a hunt.

Man, I've been taking that knee as long as I can remember. To give thanks, yes. But also, and this is kinda hard to explain but there is a certain sadness to reducing to possession a wild, magnificent creature like a White tail deer. Makes me feel better. May sound crazy to some but it's how I feel.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Not crazy at all. It's quite Ok to give thanks for a precious gift. Good story and good hunting!

Thanks. I'll tell you guys something. A serious illness has kept me outta the game for a number of years.The illness is still around but I'm back in the game with both feet. I lost access to places I used to hunt, so, not to sound prideful but to go scout out a place on heavily hunted public land and actually kill a buck. Well, I'm really tickled. And to feel that old adrenaline rush when I saw those deer. When I saw him react to the heart shot I'm sure a smile crossed my face 'cause I knew immediately he was mine. Heck, my hands were shaking filling out my tag.
    It was a very good day.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    But also, and this is kinda hard to explain but there is a certain sadness to reducing to possession a wild, magnificent creature like a White tail deer. Makes me feel better. May sound crazy to some but it's how I feel.

You explained that perfectly...I know exactly how you feel....thanks for the reverence.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    It is said that hunters feel an empathy with their 'prey' when the shot etc is taken. I know I do, and always give thanks and apologise to the animal............even when doing culls......

A true hunter respects his game and acts accordingly.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    It is said that hunters feel an empathy with their 'prey' when the shot etc is taken. I know I do, and always give thanks and apologise to the animal............even when doing culls......

A true hunter respects his game and acts accordingly.

Thank you for your comment. I'm not surprised based on the quality of people on here. But as I said to someone else privately it's nice to have it confirmed.