Load suggestions for my new CZ 550 .308

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,575 Senior Member
I finally was able to pick up my Birthday present from the FFL yesterday. For those that missed the other thread it's a CZ 550 varmint in .308. I like it a lot! It's definitely a monster, but that's what I wanted in a bench/target gun. The regular trigger is a bit gritty and creepy, but the single set trigger is sick! Photos below to avoid the fines.

I also ordered a Redfield Revenge 6x18x44 scope and rings from optics planet with their Black Friday deal which should be here in a couple days.

Now that I have a rifle worthy of the effort I need to dust off my reloading dies and build up some loads. I've got a couple pounds of Varget and 100ea of 175 and 168 gr SMK's and 168 and 155 gr A-maxes. Any starting load suggestions with these options? From what I can find online the rifle has a 1:12" twist 26" barrel.

CZ550007.jpg

CZ550004.jpg
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,575 Senior Member
    Opps...mods please move to the correct forum
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    I got a Ruger V/T model in .308 and have a Sightron SIII 6-24x and 30mm rings coming my way. With the 12x Sightron SII, I got my best groups with CCI BR primers, Federal match brass, Varget, and 168 Sierra Matchkings around the midrange loads. They were only .7" at best. I expect to do much better and will keep you posted.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,575 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I got a Ruger V/T model in .308 and have a Sightron SIII 6-24x and 30mm rings coming my way. With the 12x Sightron SII, I got my best groups with CCI BR primers, Federal match brass, Varget, and 168 Sierra Matchkings around the midrange loads. They were only .7" at best. I expect to do much better and will keep you posted.

Thanks, keep me posted. Do you find that the primer makes much of a difference in your loads? Seems like just one additional variable to keep track of and stock components for.
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Thanks, keep me posted. Do you find that the primer makes much of a difference in your loads? Seems like just one additional variable to keep track of and stock components for.
    I pretty much run the BR primers in everything that doesn't need a magnum primer. They are supposed to be a hair more consistent, but I have no real proof of that.
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    You have a wonderful rifle thar and a great round too. I love the 308 and own a few. I believe that there is no use to have a larger more power rifle than the 308 on this continent. You can load her up to shoot as hard as a 30-06. Hemingway shot Rino with his 30-06! You'll find a plethora of fine bullets.

How does she shoot?

As an aside, during the VN War (oh, what fun that was...) we fired the M-60 with the 7.62x51 round and felt that we were shooting a pretty heavy weapon. I know a fellow who shot all but the thickest skinned game in Africa with a Remington Model 700 in 308. Also an accurate round.

You'll enjoy your rifle for the rest of your life.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    alpha, I'm curious what you think of that scope once you get things all set up and start shooting. Seems like folks are buying that model left and right lately.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs