Home Main Category Hunting

Hogzilla

Fat BillyFat Billy Senior MemberPosts: 1,813 Senior Member
I've been channel surfing and came across a documentary about Hogzilla. This was the 12 foot long from a few years ago. The channel was the National Geographic West if you can find it. The stats on how fast they breed and return to the wild. This show reminds you of why you don't go into the woods unarmed. I'll not tell the ending so as to not spoil it if you can find it. Check it out. :yikes: Later,
Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Nancy-boy...I'm watching First Blood right now.....all I need is my K bar and a tree to jump out of. "what do you hunt with a knife? Name it"
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good grief- - - -is that old lie still around? Feed a domestic pig all the corn it can eat, then do a little trick photography after it's been shot, buried, and exhumed! I remember when we picked that story to pieces about three forums ago!
    Jerry
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Well you know, with the crashes and burns....everything gets to start anew again!...it's called "blah blah resurrection"!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Yeah, a rutting whitetail is just as dangerous as a feral pig.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yeah, a rutting whitetail is just as dangerous as a feral pig.
    That is sorta true.

When lived at the Naval Research Lab, Chesapeake, MD.
    There was a herd of deer that were fairly tame and many people
    went back in the area that the deer hung out during the day and fed them.

Anyway, one morning during the rut, the tame dominant buck decided
    I was too close to his does and made some aggressive moves toward me,
    fortunately allowing me to back off to a distance he would allow.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Fat Billy, I assume that you're talking about the hog that was killed down close to Alapaha, Georgia several years back, right? There is more to this event than was ever reported....

The hog was pretty gentle, and had been cut IIRC. It had a daily, unlimited diet of GROWTH HORMONE INJECTED fish food used in a commercial catfish farming operation. Unlimited supply to see how big he would get probably! As far as I'm concerned, my opinion anyway, the most important factor in this scenario was totally overlooked! Look what those growth hormones did to this hog! Then, as I've pointed out before......

The record Black Bear for east of the Mississippi River was killed 3-4 years ago over on coastal North Carolina in the Croatan National Forest area. This bear took up quarters right at the edge of a commercial breeder pig operation where on any day of the year over 60,000 piglets were being raised. The bear had an unlimited supply of dead piglets dumped daily from the operation. The sows were fed GROWTH HORMONES which were passed on to the piglets through the sow's milk as it was supposed to be. The bear weighed a few pounds under 900 pounds! Three times bigger than the average bear :yikes:! Then......

Two years ago this upcoming February I got with a friend from Indiana, a farmer, and got several hundred pounds of white dent corn from him for a special project I had in mind. When I got home and looked at the corn grains, something just didn't ring true with what I was looking at so I called my friend and asked about the corn. (He's a big farmer-1,000 plus acres) He told me that this was the first batch of GMO corn that he had grown, and that he was highly impressed at yields. I didn't use the corn being a little aprehensive. Instead I dumped most of it out over several months for the deer just below the house and in sight so my Grandkids could see deer. (A damn bad mistake, me being in the truck farm business :silly:). About 50 pounds of this corn is still out under the boat shelter in buckets, totally open and exposed. THERE IS NOT THE FIRST INSECT IN IT! RATS AND SQUIRRELS DON'T TOUCH IT! MY CHICKENS IGNORE IT!.......WHY? (The deer did eat it, however).

Don't make a mistake and think I'm a weirdo on this subject because I'm not! It's a fact that if it wasn't for Cargill, DuPont and Monsanto you wouldn't be eating supper tonight unless you grew your own vegetables and meat as I do. Without the large agricultural companies our population could not be sustained economically. But.... I can't help but wonder if we aren't being "altered" to some degree by what we are being fed! Two-thirds of the American people overweight! Over one-third obese! Fat Billy, sadly, your name implies that you may be in this catagory....I hope not!

I grow organically for the local market....filling a market nitch that is profitable for me. But the more I grow this way, and the more that I read, I kinda like the idea! No longer do I use commercial fertilizers from the local farm supply like I used to! None of you, most probably, know it, but the elements of commercial fertilizers are bonded -for the most part-with solidified sludge from the Chicago and Milwaukee city sewage systems! Sterilized, yes, with the heavy metals removed for the most part, but still.....yankee excretement :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    the tame dominant buck decided
    I was too close to his does

Back when we lived in California, Mary took a picture of a big-racked buck trying to stick its head into the window of our car, begging for a handout. Of course, she had the window rolled up, with only a 2" gap or so at the top. There was a human-acclimated herd of deer at Tuollome Meadows, the site of an old hotel just south of Yosemite National Park. Tourists fed them constantly, disregarding warning signs not to. One week later, a 6-year-old girl was feeding a buck potato chips there, and she decided to eat a few chips herself. THE BUCK KILLED HER! Of course, it was destroyed, but that didn't bring the little girl back! I'm not sure the same animal was involved in both situations, but the one that was freeloading from us appeared to be the dominant animal in the herd.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    Rich, the dry feed that is fed to those hogs, and cattle, and chickens is also loaded with growth hormones. Hard to raise a chick to a broiler sized chicken in 4-5 weeks without it.

Regarding fertilizer, I was out of high school before I ever saw commercial fertilizer used extensively where I lived. Chicken litter, and cow and hog 'stuff' was the main fertilizer used, and there was plenty to be had. The chicken stuff from the hen house was saved for the garden; that stuff was potent plant food. Only thing I remember being bought commercially for crops was lime to sweeten the soil. Acidic soil grows weeds.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Woodsrunner, The show I saw was the one about the one in Georgia near the fish farm. I saw all the BS when the pictures first came out about digital tricks in the photo. They said it was 12 feet long. The show dug it up and measured it with the head in the correct place and it was 8.5 feet long. When it was displayed for the picture it was hug up by the rear legs which would have made it "around" 12 feet. The lusk had grown into almost a complete circle so it was probably 7-8 years old.

What I found interesting was the DNA prooved it started out as livestock or one generation out. I never reailized that they could revert to wild that quickly. I could care less about Hogzilla but the info on the ferrel pigs and how fast they reproduce and could take over an area and how distructive they could be with no preditors to control the numbers.

I must have been given some of the growth hormone(probably in Gradma's fried okra). I'd say I am full figured but not sloppy fat and in pretty good condition from mountain biking but compaired to the skinny biker crowd fat fits. Funny how they always call me when something heavy has to be moved or carried. Full figured guys are loved by the girls cause we are warm in the winter and shade in the summer , LOL. Ther was nothing on TV last night so the clicker stopped on Hogzilla. :yawn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Woodsrunner, The show I saw was the one about the one in Georgia near the fish farm. I saw all the BS when the pictures first came out about digital tricks in the photo. They said it was 12 feet long. The show dug it up and measured it with the head in the correct place and it was 8.5 feet long. When it was displayed for the picture it was hug up by the rear legs which would have made it "around" 12 feet. The lusk had grown into almost a complete circle so it was probably 7-8 years old.

What I found interesting was the DNA prooved it started out as livestock or one generation out. I never reailized that they could revert to wild that quickly. I could care less about Hogzilla but the info on the ferrel pigs and how fast they reproduce and could take over an area and how distructive they could be with no preditors to control the numbers.

I must have been given some of the growth hormone(probably in Gradma's fried okra). I'd say I am full figured but not sloppy fat and in pretty good condition from mountain biking but compaired to the skinny biker crowd fat fits. Funny how they always call me when something heavy has to be moved or carried. Full figured guys are loved by the girls cause we are warm in the winter and shade in the summer , LOL. Ther was nothing on TV last night so the clicker stopped on Hogzilla. :yawn: Later,

Teach, I think I read the same article that Fat Billy did. However it said that in actuallity that hog was nowhere near the size they claimed. The pic was photo chopped to hell. It was more like 6 or 7 feet long. I've seen some Poland China Domestic hogs that were that big. But 11 feet or even 8 feet? I think that's BS.

Most of the giants killed around here would be hard pressed to push 400 pounds if the truth be known. For a wild hog that's very very heavy. A domestic hog eating a planned diet to gain weight is a different story than something out in the wild having to make it off the land. Even raiding crops won't usually make one get that big.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!