GOP blocks hunter access bill

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,771 Senior Member
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    I don't think there's one bit of serious evidence banning lead shot accomplished anything. The US is the only place that did it.
    I found that while bismuth cost more per round than steel I actually used less because it didn't take 3 hits to get a fast moving northern mallard to roll over.. If ya got a gun that can use it Hevishot is about as good as the old lead magnum loads.

Knowing what I know about radioactive decay of bismuth, it will NOT cross the threshold of my front door. It decays by either Beta or Electron Capture and is changed to either Polonium or Lead in the process. There's some gamma radiation involved here. Keep them shotshells away from the 'boys'. I put it in the same category as that so called 'depleted uranium' we use for armor piercing rounds.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Suit yer self, but the stuff knocks the stuffin out of hard chargin mallards, and folds pheasants in a big pile when hunting places that require nontox for upland.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Knowing what I know about radioactive decay of bismuth, it will NOT cross the threshold of my front door. It decays by either Beta or Electron Capture and is changed to either Polonium or Lead in the process. There's some gamma radiation involved here. Keep them shotshells away from the 'boys'. I put it in the same category as that so called 'depleted uranium' we use for armor piercing rounds.

The quick reading I just did on bismuth puts it as less toxic than lead. Low solubilty in blood, flushed away in urine. It's radioactive half life is the longest known. Is it really that bad?

We all know the dangers of lead. The wiki read did seem to not dwell on the radioactivity, but that may have been my eyes crossing because of all the science. :tooth:
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    With the increase of waterfowl numbers in the last few years, exponential for some species, snow geese for example, does research point to the use of non- toxic shot as a contributing factor for the increase? Or would you say the work done by DU with buying more land and improving nesting habitat?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,771 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    The quick reading I just did on bismuth puts it as less toxic than lead. Low solubilty in blood, flushed away in urine. It's radioactive half life is the longest known. Is it really that bad?

We all know the dangers of lead. The wiki read did seem to not dwell on the radioactivity, but that may have been my eyes crossing because of all the science. :tooth:

Buffy, I go to my textbook "The Periodic Table of the Elements" I used in nuke power classes to look that kind of stuff up. There are several isotopes of bismuth; some stable and some are not so stable. Being that there are several isotopes you don't know what's in the box; sort of like that box of chocolates that Forrest Gump was talkin' about.

Anyhoo, if lead shot was so bad it could have been given a heavy copper plating to contain the lead. But that would not have fit the agenda of whomever wanted it banned.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    With the increase of waterfowl numbers in the last few years, exponential for some species, snow geese for example, does research point to the use of non- toxic shot as a contributing factor for the increase? Or would you say the work done by DU with buying more land and improving nesting habitat?

I doubt that lead had anything to do with snow goose numbers. Yes, DU and other conservation groups had more to do with it than anything I think. The conservative limits coupled with improved habitat brought them back, and now they are way over populated. That's why we have special goose season for white geese and some years it has gone on until into April. And to add to this, most hunters want to shoot dark geese such as White Fronted (Specklebellies) and Canadas, which have stricter limits and shorter seasons. The good thing about goose hunting is it's easier to ID the birds. Kinda hard to shoot a Canada for a snow or blue.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    Snow geese seem to be a little smarter, or at least they're faster learners than their darker cousins. They don't decoy well, and I've read that it's pretty difficult to get into shotgun range of the big flocks. Maybe there needs to be a centerfire rifle season for them? I think a 300-yard head shot with a .22-250 might be more appropriate than shotgunning for them, since the population is so out of control. The prarie doggers would welcome a target they could actually eat, I'll bet!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,119 Senior Member
    I don't think alpha hunts.

He may not hunt, but he thinks, and he researches[/], and he asks penetrating questions. Yes, he's not above stirring the pot from time to time to stimulate the thought process and/or the awareness factor, but that's OK IMO, within reason.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    No doubt. I just figure if someone doesn't engage in an activity they might not know what all is needed.

For instance, I could gripe about where money for snook stamps goes, and folks who don't fish in FL would look at me like a mule looking at a new gate.
    Overkill is underrated.
2»