Kahr CM-9 anyone?

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,384 Senior Member
Wife has finally started showing an interest in shooting. Currently, her bedside gun is a .38 snubbie and it's pretty foolproof. She's shot it and did well. But the gun buying bug has struck again and I've been looking on the internet about small 9mm reviews. The CM-9 seems to stand out for price and features.

Anyone with any experience?

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,773 Senior Member
    None with the CM-9, but I have shot the PM-9 which is very similar and it's a nifty little pistol. I also have a CW-9 which is it's slightly bigger brother. It's nice too, but for some unknown reason I don't shoot it all that well, but I don't blame that in the pistol. At the street price they're going for I'd say it's a pretty good option. I shot a S&W shield recently too and it was nice as well and I shot it a lot better than my CW-9 but YMMV.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,695 Senior Member
    I have owned or still owned PM,P, and K series Kahrs. They are all good quality, accurate shooters. The CM's are the same thing, but with less smoothing up on the slide, and conventional rifling, rather than polygonal. I'm betting they are good, too.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    The recoil spring is very stiff, at first, and she might have problems racking it back. But it gets easier. I've got a PM 9, and suspect they're about the same except for the internals. Very accurate.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Don't be a cheapskate, its for your wife.......

KT9093A.jpg

Seriuosly, if there are no plans on carrying it, I would go with the bigger CW9.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    one of my favorite carry guns is the all steel MK9, and my wife just inherited the CW9. Kahr makes a great product.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Don't know about the 9s but I've got a CW .45 I've had for a while now. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy it again.
    I will add though since it's for your wife, Mrs. Razorbacker uses my S&W 19 as her nightstand gun. But I started her on a little H&R in .32 SWL. Think J frame. She never said anything but when she said she wanted a 9mm we went to a gun show for her to handle some. I took her straight to a Kahr 9. She picked it up and said no, it fits like that little one and I didn't like it. So we handled a lot more. The 2 she liked, a full sized Glock and one of those new SCCYs. There's supposed to be an article on those in the upcoming issue of G&A.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    No experience with Kahrs here, but I like my S&W M&P's. I have one full size 40 and I just picked up a M&P Shield40 and this is nice and compact, and shoots real nice without alot of muzzel flip from a short barrel. The also make the Shield in a 9 so give it a look.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I've had 3, one had issues I never could get worked out but the other 2 were great. You can't go wrong with a Kahr. I agree though, that if its not going to be carried I'd go with the slightly larger models like the P9 or T9. The smaller ones can have some bite to them even in 9 sillymeter
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,644 Senior Member
    Been carrying a PM9 for six years now. Wouldn't swap it for any other carry piece. I suspect the CM-9 is just as good.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    I own a CW-9 and really like the way it shoots, a buddy of mine has a CM-9 and I shot 30- 40 rounds through it and had no issues ,seems like a good weapon.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    I have a CM and A CW 9. They shoot better than most little guns. The M is the little one and disappears into a front pocket while in a suede pocket holster would be mistaken for a wallet even in tighter pants.
    The M does leave the pinky finger unsupported. Curl it up under the magazine floor to give structure to the grip.
    The W is slightly larger giving something to grasp with the pinky and holds an additional round. The magazine will also work in the smaller M.

Two thumbs up on either or both.:up::up:
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • caleocaleo New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Save yourself the trouble. Even if you like the Kahr pistol you may be left in the cold when it comes to their lack of customer service. Kahr pistols are often finicky and unreliable and your lucky if you get one that works flawless out of the box. Customer service at Kahr leaves a great deal to be desired. I unfortunately purchased a Kahr but after dealing with their customer service I have decided to sell mine and stick with more customer oriented manufacturers.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Been carrying a PM9 for six years now. Wouldn't swap it for any other carry piece. I suspect the CM-9 is just as good.

Mike
    Change PM9 to PM40 and you''re describing me. Wife carries a PM-9
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• caleocaleo New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    There are many manufacturers of the highest quality and dependability. One often overlooked aspect is customer service. Kahr has the lousiest customer service in my experience. Im getting rid of mine.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    caleo wrote: »
    There are many manufacturers of the highest quality and dependability. One often overlooked aspect is customer service. Kahr has the lousiest customer service in my experience. Im getting rid of mine.

Hoe many gus do you has?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Save yourself the trouble. Even if you like the Kahr pistol you may be left in the cold when it comes to their lack of customer service. Kahr pistols are often finicky and unreliable and your lucky if you get one that works flawless out of the box. Customer service at Kahr leaves a great deal to be desired. I unfortunately purchased a Kahr but after dealing with their customer service I have decided to sell mine and stick with more customer oriented manufacturers.

Most everyone I know of has good service from Kahr. A few have had less than stellar service but a call asking for Ian generally solves any issue.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Hoe many gus do you has?

:roll2:
  • U TU T Member Posts: 405 Member
    I have one. Like it.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,695 Senior Member

Too bad you had a traumatic experience with Kahr that has apparently left you devastated. I hope you recover, in time, and that Kahr remedies any problems they may have had with customer service. Most manufacturers do let a dud slip through occasionally, and sometimes a single employee can go 'off the reservation' and create a bad service experience.

My experiences with Kahr guns and service has been the opposite of yours, and that includes 4 different models over a period of several years.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I think our Kahr basher ran out of topics.
    And I think.....
    you are correct sir
    good riddance to bad rubbish
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Have her practice almost all females have a problem with the Kahr's heavy recoil spring and when loading, have seen it a lot with students that the husband or dad choose the gun for them
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I have a question about those...I heard from a friend that the frame to slide contact is not metal to metal. That the frame is polymer only...Is that true? If so, how does this effect durability? I always heard good things but that might rule one out for me...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,644 Senior Member
    It is metal to metal. There are stainless steel slide rails molded into the poly frame. No metal to poly contact.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I thought so....It didn't make sense...I couldn't see from the "takedown video" on Kahr's website though. Thanks.
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    I have a question about those...I heard from a friend that the frame to slide contact is not metal to metal. That the frame is polymer only...Is that true? If so, how does this effect durability? I always heard good things but that might rule one out for me...
    Just took my PM40
    apart and have it sitting in front of me. There are 2 small metal inserts in the rails at the rear, and 2 LONG metal rails in the front that lie close to the spring's level. There are also two corresponding "slots" in the front of the slide for them.
    Just above where the slide stop goes through, there are 2 plastic "ears" but even as much as I've shot mine, they aren't showing any signs of wear, so I expect that the steel rails in front/below them, and the 2 at the rear take all the wear.
    All the metal inserts are nice and shiny