Home Main Category Hunting

Daughters last JR buck

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,454 Senior Member
Its the daughters last year as a Jr before she has to deal with these antler restrictions, so she went as big as she could.

DSC_0030.jpg

She shot a 6 with the nicest formed rack I have seen here in a while. Spotted it about 60-70 yards out, heading in towards us from the north, she took her time and at around 30 he turned west quartering towards us a bit, I whistled at him and she turned him into food. 30-30 Marlin, 125 Sierra Pro-hunter, @ 2200 fps (imr 4895). Hit him in the shoulder, he bounced once and piled up. It took out the bottom of the heart and ended up under the skin on the right side.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,813 Senior Member
    Very nice, congrats to the young lady.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    Thanks, FYI, she did most of the knife work pre drag to. I got her started and did the elimination chute, but she was elbow deep in red stuff.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Congratulations to the young lady and the proud dad. I enjoy seeing young hunters enjoying a successful outing. The smile on her face says it all.:up:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Congrats to the young lady :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Congrats to you daughter. Seems the young folks are doing quite well this year.

Sako
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Man that's great. I love the kid hunting pics. Did I understand you correctly that at 30 yards you didn't get a complete pass though with a 30 30?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Congrats to your girl! Hope to take mine hunting soon.

Hey, I posted this in another thread, but figured you would see it here sooner.

~Snip~

Varmint, I read something a couple years back about horrible mismanagement of PA's deer herds. Dont remember the particulars... Was there some other mitigating factors? Did harsh winters wipe out a good portion of your herds?

The article I read was very critical of one individual, your head of the wildlife authority..
    Man that's great. I love the kid hunting pics. Did I understand you correctly that at 30 yards you didn't get a complete pass though with a 30 30?

Reduced load, perhaps.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Reduced load, perhaps.
    Yeah, with a 125 gr. bullet, it sounds like one of those "Managed Recoil" types of loads. Makes sense for a youth load.
    One of the beauties of handloading!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Excellent! Please tell your Daughter that she played a very important role in managing the deer herd!

I don't know the ends and outs of how Pennsylvania manages its Whitetail population, but from what I've seen in "road kills" in southwestern Penna. a large number of deer need to be harvested!

Hey Dan.....notice that the lever on the rifle is all the way foward? :applause:
    Reduced load, perhaps.

Ah, didn't think of that. Makes perfect sense.
    I reloaded a reduced recoil load for her when she started and the for the price of 2 boxes of RR loads I could get 30-30 dies and bullets including shipping. Haven't changed the load because that 125 gr bullet has dropped 5 deer with 5 shots, you can't argue with what it does. It goes in one side, if she stays out of the shoulder, it passes through leaving a mess behind, if she hits shoulder, it goes in one side and bounces around for a while this bullet ending up under the far side skin at the shoulder meat, without coming through the far side ribs. This one fell 15 yards from where she hit it, what do you want?

Since I have taught my kids that horsepower does not overcome skill, they can shoot and they dont take poor shots. The first day I saw a 6 pt limping through my woods shot in the butt. I don't care what "Remchester gun mag reccomended ulti mag-du-jour" that was hit with, that 30-30 in my kids hands is a heck of a lot better deer dropper than any cannon that was in that guys hands.

I couldn't put a extra tine on him so I had to hope there was a kid close by. I did check for a blood trail when I had to go make a throne call. Didn't look to long as I had to head for the house or it would have been on a party line.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I wondered about that "ended up under the skin on the right side" comment! Thought to myself, hell, sounds like a PRB out of a flintlock! Good thinking about down-loading to reduce the kick for a youngster!
    Excellent! Please tell your Daughter that she played a very important role in managing the deer herd!

I don't know the ends and outs of how Pennsylvania manages its Whitetail population, but from what I've seen in "road kills" in southwestern Penna. a large number of deer need to be harvested!
    They manage areas around the citys just like they do the wide open spaces, that means poorly over all.
    Hey Dan.....notice that the lever on the rifle is all the way foward? :applause:
    She isnt hunting, why would it be closed? :) It also isnt pointing toward her. I am proud of the fact that I didn't tell her to do either.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    congratulations to her...These are the sort of pictures and stories I really enjoy seeing and hearing
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,939 Senior Member
    I love seeing kids with bucks on the ground, tell her good job on doing the gutting on her own.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Way to go young lady
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Great work, girl. You, too, Pop.
    This makes two young girls that have killed bigger bucks than I have.

I.......I don't know what that means.
    This makes two young girls that have killed bigger bucks than I have.

I.......I don't know what that means.

See if he'll let you hire his daughter as a guide. She obviously knows what she's doing
    See if he'll let you hire his daughter as a guide. She obviously knows what she's doing

Dang right. Her and cpj's youngin..

Congrats again, VM.
    Dang right. Her and cpj's youngin..

Congrats again, VM.
    Ditto
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Good for her!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Congratulations to her for her success, and to you for raising her right.

I get a kick out of seeing reports and pics like this, gives me hope for the future of our sport.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    Very nice...congratulations to the young lady!!!!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    Congratulations to the young lady and the proud dad. I enjoy seeing young hunters enjoying a successful outing. The smile on her face says it all.:up:

Amen Shooter, that's what it's all about. Now if I can just get my grandson to quit closing his eyes when he pulls the trigger!!! LOL!!! Oh well, back to the range we go...
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Congratulations to her for her success, and to you for raising her right.

I get a kick out of seeing reports and pics like this, gives me hope for the future of our sport.

I think it's our only hope.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Good Hustle!

Nothing like the smile of a kid with a deer!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Congrats to her on a nice buck!
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Congrats to her! It's a real treat to see yet another young hunter taking to the woods. It gives us some hope for the future.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.