Colorado Springs gets the "Bah Humbug" award!

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,429 Senior Member
Fox News is reporting that Salvation Army bell-ringers have been banned from the downtown area of Colorado Springs for violating their "no panhandling" ordinance. How's that for playing Scrooge? Sure, the ding-a-lings are annoying, but they're not exactly the same as some streetwalking bum trying to get his next drink or hit on the crack pipe! Way to go, jerks!
Jerry
Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    I'm conflicted. The Scrooge in me dislikes bell ringers, plus Colorado Springs is one of my favorite cities. However, it is for a good cause...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Kinda like the city I worked for banning the FD from collecting money one week a year for the local children's charity? Yup, us standing out there with the boots that one week of the year upset enough people to make an ordinance...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    I saw that this morning, and thought it was very unusual, to say the least. In my humble opinion, collecting for well recognized charities is a far cry from panhandling. I think it was a bad call on the part of the Colorado Springs city council.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Well, they just legalized pot, so they have to ban something worthwhile to counteract that! Have to keep things balanced!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Well, they just legalized pot, so they have to ban something worthwhile to counteract that! Have to keep things balanced!!

You're confusing Colorado Springs with the rest of the state. The Springs, as we know it in these parts, is for the most part very conservative. El Paso county, which is the county in which Colorado Springs is located, went heavily for Romney. I haven't seen the vote results for legalizing pot, but I'll bet that the Springs voted against it.

It's those loony libtards to the north that do all the damage.:yikes:
    Jerry

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Fox News is reporting that Salvation Army bell-ringers have been banned from the downtown area of Colorado Springs for violating their "no panhandling" ordinance. How's that for playing Scrooge? Sure, the ding-a-lings are annoying, but they're not exactly the same as some streetwalking bum trying to get his next drink or hit on the crack pipe! Way to go, jerks!
    Jerry

Don't you understand that nobody but the government has the right to dole out charity? What has the Salvation Army ever done for a politician?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    You're confusing Colorado Springs with the rest of the state. The Springs, as we know it in these parts, is for the most part very conservative. El Paso county, which is the county in which Colorado Springs is located, went heavily for Romney. I haven't seen the vote results for legalizing pot, but I'll bet that the Springs voted against it.

Understand, it's a regional thing, just like all states, the big cities have all (most) of the wacko's.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Sure, the ding-a-lings are annoying, but they're not exactly the same as some streetwalking bum trying to get his next drink or hit on the crack pipe!

I dunno. . .the streetwalking bums are usually at least comparatively QUIET.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

It passed in El Paso Co
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Went through SERE at Colorado Springs in 1969. Haven't been back since, and if you don't mind too much, I ain't going to:silly:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Well.....we have panhandlers here like a blue tick hound has....well.....ticks. Most of our panhandlers are winos and meth heads. The law, as written, seems to have incurred some unintended consequences. Not to worry, though. The ACLU has already filed suit here to have the law overturned.

That'd be fine by me. Maybe then, it'd get rewritten correctly and I won't have to deal with so many meth heads on a daily basis.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Just do what the Alabama legislature did several years ago about flag-burners- - - -they set a maximum $50.00 fine for assaulting anyone who is in the act of burning a flag- - - -no jail time at all! It stopped the flag-burners in their tracks! Just make it a misdemeanor, or maybe just an "infraction" like a parking ticket for putting the smackdown on a panhandler- - - -fine $10.00!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    I think linefinder hit it exactly right. The panhandlers up and down the front range are thick as hair on a dogs back. I'm guessing the Salvation army got caught in the crossfire. But sounds like if they move inside a building , the regs don't take affect. But dang them clowns accosting vehicles at stoplights with their cardboard signs with sob stories on them up and down the front range was gettin rediculous.
    It passed in El Paso Co

Color me surprised. What's this world coming to?????
    Jerry

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Color me surprised. What's this world coming to?????

Freedom of choice?
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.