Home Main Category General Firearms

Glass for the 450 marlin lever

Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas MemberPosts: 56 Member
I'm thinking( yeah Jerm it does happen and smoke does not come out either) of some glass options for the 450 I have. I am also considering halo sights.
It is a guild set up and would like low power. But I would consider more with the right removable bases. Like pros and cons. And wiht the halo sigte ones that can take a beating but good. I fear that a 40 dollar one would not last.
Thanks guys.
Oh by th eway I'm back after much confusion with password.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Scope: 1.5X5 Leupold!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    I'd get the XS Sights "Lever Scout Mount" (LINK), and either the Leupold EER Scout Scope (LINK) or the new Leatherwood Variable power scout Scope (LINK)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

I agree. I like that scope too. But really now, how far is one going to shoot that thing? Mount a peep sight. Then you can bang away and you'll hit what is within 150 yds or so. Shooting those 450s are a little like shooting a 458 when fired from a light rifle like the Marlin. You want to shoot a big bear? Okay, crawl up close. Hide behind something and then prepare yourself for getting off three rounds before you climb a tree. From time to time I shoot hot 45/70 loads in a Ruger No. 1. Knock you on your buttsville man. Shooting that little Marlin in 450 is similar. You don't need a scope. Save your money and buy another 336 in 30/30, which is the one you'll shoot.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    My 444 Marlin wears a Leupold 2-7x33 VX II scope, zeroed at 150 yards. Last year it took a nice doe at 220 lazered yards, with one of my handloads clocked at 2210fps. My 2, 30-30's just sit in the safe since I got the "Triple 4", 4 years ago. Go shoot your 450 and enjoy.----Riflemann
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    Riflemann wrote: »
    My 444 Marlin wears a Leupold 2-7x33 VX II scope, zeroed at 150 yards. Last year it took a nice doe at 220 lazered yards, with one of my handloads clocked at 2210fps. My 2, 30-30's just sit in the safe since I got the "Triple 4", 4 years ago. Go shoot your 450 and enjoy.----Riflemann

I sure can't argue with that. Whether to scope or not is a matter of choice and certainly one is not aware of the recoil of a rifle when one is shooting at meat. I have never fired a 444 but people like them.

I am still a fan of the good old 30/30 however. I also shoot an ancient Model 95 Savage in 303 Savage and like it too. I think they both fine deer rifles. (The black tails we have round here dress maybe 50 lbs.) Sure the 444 will do the job. Shoot what you like.
  • Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas Member Posts: 56 Member
    I use a peep on it right now adn have lively loads for it. In 405 hard cast bullets so yeah I take the bump but nothing that bad. I can hit at 100 yards with the peep but with a 8 inch pattern. I would like to get a better pattern, at 100 for deer and then be open for bear .
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    That 1.75-6x Leupold VX3 I showed you at camp worked really well in the areas we were hunting. I would think long and hard at either that one, or the 1.5-5x.

Get some Warne QD rings to go with it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    I'd go 1-4 or 2-7 Leupold.
    the Warne go with a picatinny(sp) rail?
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    A 1-4 with a post crosshair would be a good for that rifle and cartridge.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Check out the Millett DMR. 1-4x with a circle / dot reticle. I have one on my .44 Marlin and like it a lot.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Amen Al, that's a hell of a scope for something like a 450. I have a 94 AE I bought in the early 80s maybe 81. I put my old 1966 vintage 4 power Redfield on it. However, I was in my early 30s then and had excellent eye sight. Now, I'm thinking about putting a Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman on it. I know, that sure is big for a saddle gun. But my eyes ain't what they used to be. I could keep it cranked down on 3 power until I needed more. And as far as physical size, it's not much bigger than the 4x, except the bell is larger. I wish I had the money for the 1.5-5 Leo. That would be absolutely perfect.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    the Warne go with a picatinny(sp) rail?
    Yep. Any Weaver style rings will fit. Those are the same rings that were on Dave's 30/06.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I put a Red/Green dot on my 30-Aw and like it. I normaly shoot deer at 75yds so works pretty good.
    IMGP0055_zps51eaef28.jpg
    Kevin, what exactly is the Marlin 450? Is that the model or cal.
    Sarg1c, the 450 marlin is a 1894m rifle , the cartage is developed from hornaday off the 4570 platform. no rim, but an extra wide belt, and just a simdge shorter in length of case. designed to hot rod the 4570 out of the factory. bullet is .458 in size adn is factory loaded with 350 flat nose pointed softs adn 325 leverevolution. both pretty much stop deer bear, and most NA critters when in 100 yards. farther out you might be lobbing in and need to fire for effect. Got it in lever and revolver. the revolver is a BFR from Magnum Research in a 10 inch barrel. I hand load for that and use 300 hollow points or a 330 hard cast hollow. have dropped deer adn hogs with it. I have not needed to track anything. Everything dropped where hit, and no blow throughs, all only required a single shot, some(hog) got a bit more becuase it was not dead yet.
    Thanks, I just didn't know what it was. Sounds interesting....Thanks again.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    A friend and I have 450 Marlin Guide guns. His has a fixed 1.5 Leupold scout scope. It works well and is fast but I don't like it. I was thinking of a 1.5x5 in mine. My eyes are bad and I can't focus on three objects at once. There's no reason a 450 Marlin can't shoot 250 yards if sighted in at 175-200 yards. 1.5x give you the brush and 5x is more than you need for 250.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That 1.75-6x Leupold VX3 I showed you at camp worked really well in the areas we were hunting. I would think long and hard at either that one, or the 1.5-5x.

Get some Warne QD rings to go with it.

:that:
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
    no trijicon. they are usa made and made in michigan?