Election analysis, my late opinions

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    America is changing. America has always been changing. It is fairly easy to dig up articles from the 19th century written by people paranoid that the Catholic Eastern & Southern European scourge that was threatening to take over America.

This doesn't mean that the Republicans, or conservatism in general, is doomed. Conservatives can appeal to minorities. They have. Many forget that in 2000, George W. Bush won the Muslim vote, or that in the 90s and early 2000s the GOP was gaining ground with Hispanics.

The main problem is that recent Republican leaders have completely alienated most minorities. What the GOP needs is a change in leadership.

There's a lot of truth in this. For 500-odd years, the world was dominated by middle-aged white guys of European descent and generally Judeo-Christian upbringing. Not really the case anymore, yet the Republican Party still seems to be the bastion of the middle-aged white guy of European descent of generally Judeo-Christian upbringing. Being such is not a bad thing in itself (yours truly fitting the category), but it can't really continue to be the sole group the party appeals to if the party is going to continue to be successful.

I think also we're looking at the consequences of everybody getting a vote regardless of their contributions to the general state of the nation. While I wouldn't suggest that it be any other way, those that live solely through the hard work of others seem to have become a major voting block, and they will ALWAYS vote themselves a larger slice of someone else's pie. Don't know what the solution is there, other than maybe you need to have filed an income tax return in the last three years to get a ballot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
2»