Reliable long range ammo for .223 Savage

dmartin1489dmartin1489 New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
So over the past year I've been extending the range at which I can consistently hit my target and I'm working around 600-700 yrs. Until now I've been using 55 - 60 grain rounds and I'm realizing that I need to bump up the weight so the round can make it down range accurately and consistently. I've been looking around for reliable match rounds and after reading reviews I feel more lost than when I started my search. Anyone have any input? Looking for something around 75-grain.

Dave

Replies

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    Probably is going to depend on twist rate, 1:12 probably won't stabilize a 75 grain bullet.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Welcome to G&A.
    Ditto on MS's post.
    Find out for sure what the twist rate is for your rifle.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I would seriously consider reloading. You can brew up some seriously accurate loads that way.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Are you looking for an accurate load to 600-700 yards, or trying to extend the range beyond that? It's not clear to me what you're trying to achieve. Also, how big is your target? Are you referring to something the size of a beer can, or something much larger?

Linefinder uses a .223 on prairie dogs, and is able to consistently make 600+ yard kills on the little buggers. I think he uses 55 or 60 grain Hornady Vmaxes, but am not sure of his powder charge. I know that he has experimented with a lot of different loads and bullet weights, and has determined that this works best for him. You may want to PM him and ask. I'm sure he will be glad to tell you what he has done.

I can also tell you that when it comes to distances beyond 600-700 yards, he usually switches to his 6mm. I watched him knock the top of one's head off at 794 laser ranged yards with that rifle.

But, to your point, past 600 or so yards is getting very iffy with a .223. Even past 300 yards you have better have good glass and know how to use it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I'll play along...

Is a 600 or 700 or 800 yard shot possible? yes. Practical with a .22 caliber 77 gr projectile... meh.

Figure a Sierra Blitz King with a .36 g1 BC, if you could get it to 3200 FPS muzzle velocity, drop at 500 yards is about four feet ( 44.44inches ), at 600 yds over six feet (73.8 inches) and at 700 yards the drop is 114 inches, 9 feet 6 inches. At 800 yards and a drop of 167 inches, or 13 feet 11 inches. I would call that a significant elevation.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    .....But, to your point, past 600 or so yards is getting very iffy with a .223. Even past 300 yards you have better have good glass and know how to use it.

Is this really true for the .223 Savage? I know 5.56x 45 is not a true .223 remington, but we shoot a 62gr out to 300M very reliably with Iron sites. The Marines used to (i dunno if they still do) qualify with the same round at distances up to 500 yards very reliably with iron sites.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Black Hills turns out consistent ammo.
    Hitting at distance depends to a larger degree the size of the target (Paper, steel or tissue), conditions, accuracy capability of the gun and shooter.
    What kind of shooting have you been doing?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Is this really true for the .223 Savage? I know 5.56x 45 is not a true .223 remington, but we shoot a 62gr out to 300M very reliably with Iron sites. The Marines used to (i dunno if they still do) qualify with the same round at distances up to 500 yards very reliably with iron sites.

Maybe we're comparing apples to oranges here. I'm referring to shooting at prairie dogs, which doesn't leave a lot of room for error. If you're shooting at man sized targets, that's a whole different issue.

The 'good glass and know how to use it' comment was in reference to having good, high quality, high power glass, such as my Leupold VX-II 6-18x, that also has adjustable target turrets. For ranges beyond 300 yards, at which point bullet drop and wind speed become a major factor, knowing the exact range and being able to adjust your scope for that range makes a huge difference. I suspect that even your soldiers who shoot irons adjust their sights for the target distance rather than use some sort of kentucky windage or holdover.

Speaking just for me, I would have a hard time seeing a target at 500 yards with the naked eye, much less shooting it.
    Jerry

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    okay, I see the point of the comment....and at 300M a man size target does not appear to much bigger than a dog with Iron sites, so yeah a prarie dog would be dang hard to see...

I honestly didn't know if .223 savage was that much different. Even though the army has me shoot out to 300M with ~.223 remington, most all of my shooting in my entire life has been less than 250M. So I ask these questions when I see stuff...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,830 Senior Member
    Is this really true for the .223 Savage?.

Ummm, Errrrr, I think the OP has a Savage rifle chambered in .223 Remington.....unless somebody has cooked up a .223 Savage that I don't know about.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Ummm, Errrrr, I think the OP has a Savage rifle chambered in .223 Remington.....unless somebody has cooked up a .223 Savage that I don't know about.....

That's my understanding. I have a .204 Ruger chambered in a Savage Model 10 VLP.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,424 Senior Member
    Hey, Jerry. I'm actually shooting 40 grain VMaxes over a healthy dose of Ramshot XTerminator. They launch at a bit over 3700 fps, which is nearly 500 fps faster than I was getting with the 55's I started out using.

I'm sure there's better bullets for LR target shooting, but the 40 grain VMaxes have turned out to be my favorite for pdogs. And you're right....the 6mm launching 75 grainers at 3750 fps works a whole lot better past 500 yards.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,549 Senior Member
    Until such time as we know the twist rate of the OP's rifle this entire discussion is moot?

Is the OP a drive-by poster? He has not returned after his initial post.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    Mike, what exactly is a "healthy shot" of Ramshot Xterminator if you don't mind me asking??
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Hey, Jerry. I'm actually shooting 40 grain VMaxes over a healthy dose of Ramshot . They launch at a bit over 3700 fps, which is nearly 500 fps faster than I was getting with the 55's I started out using.

I'm sure there's better bullets for LR target shooting, but the 40 grain VMaxes have turned out to be my favorite for pdogs. And you're right....the 6mm launching 75 grainers at 3750 fps works a whole lot better past 500 yards.

Mike
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,830 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Until such time as we know the twist rate of the OP's rifle this entire discussion is moot?

Is the OP a drive-by poster? He has not returned after his initial post.

Near as I can tell, across the board, the twist rate in Savage factory barrels chambered for .223 Rem. is 1:9....unless of course he has re-barreled the rifle with something different.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,424 Senior Member
    Mike, what exactly is a "healthy shot" of Ramshot Xterminator if you don't mind me asking??

26.8 to 27.0 grains.

I did work up to this one.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter