Home Main Category Personal Defense

Help with finding a suitable holster for Concealed Carry please

2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New MemberPosts: 26 New Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post :)

I completed the CC class offered by my local gun store a few months ago, and have a fire under my butt to complete the process, just got my passport photo and am heading to the Sheriff's office next week to apply for the license!

My problem is... my only handgun is a 1911 .45 ACP with a full length barrel, which I KNOW is not suited at all for concealed carry - however, I'm not purchasing another firearm for the foreseeable future, so I really need to make the best with what I've got.

Can you gents please suggest a few links/resources/brands to help me find a holster that will work for the time being, I would be extremely thankful! I think I can make it work temporarily because I'm 6' 250 pounds, and wear comfortable clothing most of the time.
«13

Replies

  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    It's fine for CC, just limits your choices. When I toted one, it was Mexican carry, but a IWB holster is also good. Just wear it where it shows least. You shouldn't have a problem with your size concealing a 1911.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Not suited at all? I've been carrying a 5" 1911 for a few years now. Dress around the firearm, and you'll be fine.

    I recommend a good stiff belt (I favor the Uncle Mike's Reinforced Instructor Belt)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1398715640/uncle-mikes-reinforced-instructor-belt-1-1-2-black-steel-buckle-polymer-reinforced-nylon

    Holster: I use a Crossbreed Supertuck-style holster. It conceals well.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

    Mag carrier: whatever works for you.

    I wear my pants 1-2" larger, and my shirts untucked and a size larger. Try and avoid solid colors: patterns of some sort work well. Act as camouflage.

    If you need to dress purty, the Crossbreed-style holster is a "tuckable" holster: you can tuck in your shirt. Just use a stiff dress belt. Same shirt and pants sizing applies.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    I've got to second the Crossbreed IWB holster. It's very comfortable to wear and conceals well.

    Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Third :up: on a Crossbreed holster. Real comfortable, concealable and quick on the draw. They make a real nice belt as well. I'm only 5' 9" and 180 but carry my Government model most every day. All day.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Crossbreed gets my vote. No problems concealing a large frame pistol with any good holster, you just have to dress around the gun.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Welcome....I moved your post....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    My problem is... my only handgun is a 1911 .45 ACP with a full length barrel, which I KNOW is not suited at all for concealed carry - however,

    Why would you say that? I carry a full size 1911 regularly....they conceal quite well....and considering your size it shouldn't be a problem at all

    Comp-Tac Minotaur, Infidel and Spartan are great concealment rigs...

    Ditto on a good gunbelt...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I vote the Chrisbreed holster if they are still in business, I love mine :tooth:

    I would look into a holster and a good gun belt as was said above. I have had a 5.11 leather belt for a few years and have loved it. Try out your full sized 1911 and if that don't work, go for a shorter one. The holster will work on a 5" just the same as it will a 3".

    Welcome Aboard!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Am I the only person that thinks that carrying a 1911 feels like having a cinder block in your waste band?
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Without seeing you in person, I'd say you are doing it wrong. That or you are a Nancy :jester:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I have OCD and like my britches being even on my waste. A brick doesn't help any.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Perhaps my meds don't either lol.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    I have OCD and like my britches being even on my waste. A brick doesn't help any.
    You wearing a good belt? I don't have an issue with my britches canting. But I wear a good belt.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    By good belt, one specifically made for carrying a gun. Makes all the difference in the world.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Am I the only person that thinks that carrying a 1911 feels like having a cinder block in your waste band?

    Another case for a good holster and gun belt combination...might need to try a couple of combinations....growing a butt might help as well....

    By the way....What's a waste band? a disposable bracelet?....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    You wearing a good belt? I don't have an issue with my britches canting. But I wear a good belt.
    Can't say I have one specific for CC, but maybe that makes all the difference. I actually sold a descent, but heavy pistol for just this reason.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Another case for a good holster and gun belt combination...might need to try a couple of combinations....growing a butt might help as well....

    By the way....What's a waste band? a disposable bracele?t....
    Scott, I sir, have quite the nice rear end. You would agree lol. And like I said, damn auto correct.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Where do you wear your holster? Front of the hip? On the hip? Behind the hip?...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Can't say I have one specific for CC, but maybe that makes all the difference. I actually sold a descent, but heavy pistol for just this reason.
    Does it have an internal stiffener, or is it at least 2 layers of stiff leather sewn together? If not, you're getting no support from your belt. A good belt for CC has a layer of plastic or some kinda stiffener to keep it from bending in the middle.

    If it's like this one, it's not gonna support your holster.
    R0012599.jpg

    I've carried a 4" N-frame revolver IWB with no belt sag because... I use a decent belt.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    My IWB holster is kept tight by my belt on my right hip. I find that it digs into my side when I sit down, especially in my car.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    My IWB holster is kept tight by my belt on my right hip. I find that it digs into my side when I sit down, especially in my car.

    Undershirt, tucked in. Never wear a gun without one. Plus, salty sweat is corrosive, your gun will thank you.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Let the saying of nay begin.....a thick, stiff belt is not that important when using a Crossbreed holster...

    The design spreads the weight over a bigger area, and the friction of the leather against your hip helps hold it up.

    You are right, it isn't THAT important. A crossbreed's clips also are on the pants themselves, not just supported by the belt. But I could see it helping, especially on a heaven gun like a 1911.

    But then again, my everyday belt is a gun belt, mostly because I carry a gun everyday...

    Ghost, gun belts are cheap, buy one then report back. Like I said, I prefer the 5.11 myself, but there are several out there that will make a big difference.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    W-O-W!!! :)

    I have been on forums for over 10 years of all sorts, I'm a car-fanatic and a competitive bodybuilder so I'm always researching everything obsessively... and I HAVE NEVER experience such fast, friendly, educated help, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

    I am going to read through everything one by one right now, but most of all what sticks out after browsing, is the fact the full 5'' 1911 .45 ACP is acceptable for CC, I am relieved and very happy. More to come, thanks again guys.

    PS:
    I'll definitely need something inside the waist please
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Okay, I'm on an information HIGH!

    Things I've learned thus far from you ridiculously cool gents

    1. Wearing an undershirt helps to prevent corrosion (never would have considered that)
    2. Looking into a belt specifically made for CC would be a good idea: "511 belt" (what about when I'm not wearing jeans, just curious)
    -- I'll need one with a buckle, looking now
    -- I'm obviously assuming Leather ($44) and not Nylon ($20) for the 5.11
    3. Crossbreed is the STUFF! (I'm googling them right now)
    -- But what about this Desantis Smith & Wesson 5'' 1911 holster (should I go for thumb break or quick draw)? HERE
    4. IWB means "Inner waist band" I believe
    5. 1911 .45 with a 5'' barrel is completely fine for Concealed Carry! (Score, those $800 weren't wasted!)
    -- What does "1911 Government" mean on the holster pages online, and will my Smith & Wesson 5'' .45 ACP 1911 fit perfectly?
    --- I don't see my S&W 1911 listed HERE on Crossbreed's website
    6. THIS FORUM... IS AWESOME

    Lastly, can someone suggest any extra magazines to carry on the other side of my waist please // and what type of rounds should I purchase (I know I can't use those paper shooters I've been using the last couple years)? I see some excellent offerings on Crossbreed's website - should I go IWB OR OWB for magazine additions (HERE)?

    Now that I look online, I wouldn't mind the small-of-back versions... (like the Falco, found HERE) any insight? :)
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    cpj wrote: »
    A 1911is a 1911 is a 1911...as long as its not a dou le stacked magazine abomination.(yours aint)
    Government refers to full size.
    Pick the crossbreed that is for a 1911...you are good to go.
    Iwb: Inside The Waistband.

    Most excellent! Crossbreed all the way it looks like, they sell the magazines and the CC holsters, I'll just get myself a Christmas gift! :)

    I wish I could just every everything at their site and be done with it, but the 5.11 belts are over $20 cheaper for some reason?
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Okay, I'm on an information HIGH!

    Things I've learned thus far from you ridiculously cool gents

    1. Wearing an undershirt helps to prevent corrosion (never would have considered that)
    2. Looking into a belt specifically made for CC would be a good idea: "511 belt" (what about when I'm not wearing jeans, just curious)
    -- I'll need one with a buckle, looking now
    -- I'm obviously assuming Leather ($44) and not Nylon ($20) for the 5.11
    3. Crossbreed is the STUFF! (I'm googling them right now)
    -- But what about this Desantis Smith & Wesson 5'' 1911 holster (should I go for thumb break or quick draw)? HERE
    4. IWB means "Inner waist band" I believe
    5. 1911 .45 with a 5'' barrel is completely fine for Concealed Carry! (Score, those $800 weren't wasted!)
    -- What does "1911 Government" mean on the holster pages online, and will my Smith & Wesson 5'' .45 ACP 1911 fit perfectly?
    --- I don't see my S&W 1911 listed HERE on Crossbreed's website
    6. THIS FORUM... IS AWESOME

    Lastly, can someone suggest any extra magazines to carry on the other side of my waist please // and what type of rounds should I purchase (I know I can't use those paper shooters I've been using the last couple years)? I see some excellent offerings on Crossbreed's website - should I go IWB OR OWB for magazine additions (HERE)?

    Now that I look online, I wouldn't mind the small-of-back versions... (like the Falco, found HERE) any insight? :)

    Please excuse the double post (ABOVE) but it got bumped from the last page because it fell at the bottom, but wanted to ensure everyone saw it :)
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I'm with everyone else...... 5.11 belt/Crossbreed holster. I have a S&W 1911.....and it's pretty much a regular 1911 with a few internal changes from the original.

    For extra magazines....I recommend Wilson Combat 8 round......if you're going IWB with the pistol, might as well go IWB with the magazine carrier. Single or double depends on your confidence and threat level.....heck, get both!

    Ammo......FMJ (ball) ammo has worked for years......but if you're worried about over-penetration.....then a good hollow point THAT FEEDS RELIABLY AND IS ACCURATE TO POINT OF AIM. You can go with high-cost stuff or Winchester white-box personal protection that you can get from Walmart......MY S&W 1911 eats everything....your's may vary. Try out different brands and see what it likes.

    Small of Back is best left for cop shows.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Mikey idahoMikey idaho New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Crossbreed and Comp-Tac are the way to go, can't really go wrong with either though I traded my Crossbreed for a Comp-Tac but I carry appendix IWB at 11 o'clock and I'm super picky about fit and comfort

    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I've carried a 4" N-frame revolver IWB with no belt sag because... I use a decent belt.

    Wellll..... That sweet, sweet bubble butt you got helps also.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Wellll..... That sweet, sweet bubble butt you got helps also.
    That goes without saying.
    I'm just here for snark.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement