Home Main Category Personal Defense

Help with finding a suitable holster for Concealed Carry please

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,715 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Wellll..... That sweet, sweet bubble butt you got helps also.
    That goes without saying.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Add my vote for Crossbreed supertuck! Use that with a second chance belt to carry my Smith and Wesson 1911 5". Ghost, have you tried moving the position of the gun on your belt around? I have found that position is everything when it comes to comfort, especially when in the car. Try moving the holster more to the front or back for a different position and it may help.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    I'm with everyone else...... 5.11 belt/Crossbreed holster. I have a S&W 1911.....and it's pretty much a regular 1911 with a few internal changes from the original.

For extra magazines....I recommend Wilson Combat 8 round......if you're going IWB with the pistol, might as well go IWB with the magazine carrier. Single or double depends on your confidence and threat level.....heck, get both!

Ammo......FMJ (ball) ammo has worked for years......but if you're worried about over-penetration.....then a good hollow point THAT FEEDS RELIABLY AND IS ACCURATE TO POINT OF AIM. You can go with high-cost stuff or Winchester white-box personal protection that you can get from Walmart......MY S&W 1911 eats everything....your's may vary. Try out different brands and see what it likes.

Small of Back is best left for cop shows.

Ha, I'll permanently forget about small of back, thanks.

As far as FMJ ammo, I've never heard of it, going to check it out now... thanks a lot for the heads up. Is that ammo the most devastating?

I'll check out Wilson Combat, but what do you think of this for additional IWB magazines? http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ShootersPack/tabid/124/List/0/ProductID/16/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Crossbreed and Comp-Tac are the way to go, can't really go wrong with either though I traded my Crossbreed for a Comp-Tac but I carry appendix IWB at 11 o'clock and I'm super picky about fit and comfort

Thanks, I'll absolutely be going with Comp-Tac or Crossbreed, they both look amazing, it's a hard decision. Any insight on what might be better for comfort and the long run?
    Add my vote for Crossbreed supertuck! Use that with a second chance belt to carry my Smith and Wesson 1911 5". Ghost, have you tried moving the position of the gun on your belt around? I have found that position is everything when it comes to comfort, especially when in the car. Try moving the holster more to the front or back for a different position and it may help.

If I go Crossbreed I'll definitely get the Super Tuck, I saw that last night, looks awesome!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,682 Senior Member
    Any of the major brands of JHPs (Jacketed Hollow Points) will get the job done for you...I carry use 230 grain Hornady T.A.P.S., Winchester, Remington and Federal all make Self-Defense ammo...Just make sure they function reliably in your 1911.

My spare mags are Chip McCormick mags.

Only downside to a small of the back rig is if you should happen to take a fall and land on your back (or get knocked on your butt) you stand a really good chance of sustaining a serious back injury
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • delliotdelliot New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    Looks like a great holster at a great price...with an unbeatable guarantee. Thanks for the tip, Knitepoet!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
    delliot wrote: »
    Looks like a great holster at a great price...with an unbeatable guarantee. Thanks for the tip, Knitepoet!
    You're welcome :beer:
    I have no first hand experience with that company, but I know how comfortable the crossbreed type holsters are.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    As far as FMJ ammo, I've never heard of it, going to check it out now... thanks a lot for the heads up. Is that ammo the most devastating?[

FMJ = Full Metal Jacket.....the round-nose ball ammo you've been practicing with.....not the most devastating...but has been working well enough since the 1911 was created.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Thank you to everyone who has helped! I am excited about getting my CC license this coming week, shouldn't have dragged my feet after completing the classes earlier this year.

--> Right now after all the great information that's been shared in this thread, the only question that remains is whether or not I can even use Crossbreed, because my 1911 Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Government (5'') model DOES NOT have a rail. I just cleaned it last night and wanted to make sure I mentioned that... because I only saw "with rail" options on Crossbreed's website, so will I be forced to go to Smith & Wesson or Comp-Tac in order to have something specifically fabricated to perfectly fit my model?
    You can get a Crossbreed to fit your 1911 whether it's got a rail or not....
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    This page here, and click the first one on the drop down menu under "Gun-" that will say "All 1911 series without rail (Colt, Springfield, Kimber, ect)" That's what you need.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Capture.png
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Before considering a "small of back" holster, tuck a brick into your waistband over your spine, and let somebody smack it with a 2-foot 2 by 4. That's about how it's going to feel if you take a hard fall with a 1911 positioned over your backbone!
    Jerry
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    You might want to check with "galco" and "fist". They both have very good websites.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "Now that I look online, I wouldn't mind the small-of-back versions... (like the Falco, found HERE) any insight? :)"

I do not recommend or endorse SOB carry, fall down once and you will agree.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    There's a reason it's called SOB.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    No small of back, haha! Great point about that carry style.

Also, I am leaning toward OWB now, Crossbreed has a package (belt, holster, magazine holder) for 15% off, that way I don't have to re-purchase all my jeans, dress pants, khakis, etc.

Thanks for the picture Sir George! :)
    Alright, think I'm READY! Please offer any insight...

1. OWB Holster: Crossbreed Super Slide HERE
    2. OWB Dual Magazine Carry: Crossbreed Dual Cowhide HERE
    3. Magazines for carrying: The (2) 8 round magazines that came with the firearm when I purchased it (Smith & Wesson) HERE
    3. Gun Belt: 1.75'' 5.11 Basketweave belt HERE
    4. Ammunition: Magtech Guardian Gold 230 grain 1007 ft/second 20 rd box HERE

Questions:
    - For Crossbreed, are all of their cowhide products black, and horsehide natural light brown (I want to make sure they match)?
    -- Does Crossbreed really take 4-6 weeks?
    - Is there a website, resource, or specific person(s) I can purchase from for less than the above prices on some/all of the products, and/or a sale coming up?
    - If I wear a 38 in jeans... should I also buy a 38 in the belt, or do I go larger?
    - Is the "dual" magazine carrier overkill?
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    -- Does Crossbreed really take 4-6 weeks?

Did you look at the Gladiator from Comp-Tac? It's a modular design (kydex is screwed on instead of riveted) so they ship relatively fast.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    If I wear a 38 in jeans... should I also buy a 38 in the belt, or do I go larger?

Depends completely on the belt maker....but NORMALLY you want a 42" belt if you have a 38" waist.
    - Is the "dual" magazine carrier overkill?

If you want to carry a single spare mag - definitely overkill, If you want to carry a pair of spares - not so much...

The number of spare mags I carry depends entirely on where I'm going, but I ALWAYS carry at least one spare....Not so much because of the perceived threat level, but because the magazine is the most single common cause of failure in any semi-auto firearm...
    Always try on a belt first. Just like shoes, I know what size my foot is, but I don't know what kind of messed up ruler they use when sizing my merchandise!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    I use a Bianchi fanny pack with secret holster. I carry a Smith CS45, an alloy frame short .45, or a Walther ppk or ppk/s. The fanny pack leaves room for a badge, cuffs, extra loaded magazines. I think they make one for a full size 1911. The few persons who recognize it for what it is, are other peace officers. The general public thinks it is just a fanny pack. Made of ballistic nylon. I also use a FIST kydex inside pant holster for the CS45 & magazine holder in winter when I always wear two coats, or a vest and a coat.
    Did you look at the Gladiator from Comp-Tac? It's a modular design (kydex is screwed on instead of riveted) so they ship relatively fast.

Thanks, I was impressed with Comp-Tac, I am 101% positive it will be one or the other (Crossbreed/Compt-Tac). I'll go have another look at the Gladiator, but I really am leaning toward OWB carry now, especially since I wear loose clothing, and winter is here so it will look normal to wear a layer or two :)

What is the difference between Kydex (screwed) and Riveted?
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Depends completely on the belt maker....but NORMALLY you want a 42" belt if you have a 38" waist.

If you want to carry a single spare mag - definitely overkill, If you want to carry a pair of spares - not so much...

The number of spare mags I carry depends entirely on where I'm going, but I ALWAYS carry at least one spare....Not so much because of the perceived threat level, but because the magazine is the most single common cause of failure in any semi-auto firearm...

Thanks for the help on the belt. I think I'll go ahead with the double magazine carrier, and wear it when necessary, rather have it if needed in the next year or 30 years, in that one life threatening situation.
    Always try on a belt first. Just like shoes, I know what size my foot is, but I don't know what kind of messed up ruler they use when sizing my merchandise!

I wish I could... maybe somewhere locally has 5.11's or Crossbreed belts, but once I find out where they are available and drive there and try them on, I don't want to waste the store-owners time and not buy form him, when Crossbreed for example offered a 15% off package deal on belt/carrier/holster (OWB only)
    Not nessesarily.
    Galco Avenger holster, VERY comfortable and carries really close to the body. My belt of choice is Galco's EXCELLENT Nylon belt. I like nylon because throughout the day, wet or dry it keeps exactly the same shape. Leather gets wet (sweat) and stretches and sags.

I just carried that gun for a week straight with not much more than heavy t-shirts and untucked shirts for cover.

That's EXACTLY what I'll be doing! Thanks for the picture, it really helps put things in visual perspective... I'll be going OWB for sure. That way I can continue comfortably wearing mt current clothing.
    KSDeputy wrote: »
    I use a Bianchi fanny pack with secret holster. I carry a Smith CS45, an alloy frame short .45, or a Walther ppk or ppk/s. The fanny pack leaves room for a badge, cuffs, extra loaded magazines. I think they make one for a full size 1911. The few persons who recognize it for what it is, are other peace officers. The general public thinks it is just a fanny pack. Made of ballistic nylon. I also use a FIST kydex inside pant holster for the CS45 & magazine holder in winter when I always wear two coats, or a vest and a coat.

This is an excellent idea, no doubt, but I won't wear a fanny pack. I'm a competitive bodybuilder, and I don't want to further the silly meathead stereotype floating around out there, haha!
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    Thanks, I was impressed with Comp-Tac, I am 101% positive it will be one or the other (Crossbreed/Compt-Tac). I'll go have another look at the Gladiator, but I really am leaning toward OWB carry now, especially since I wear loose clothing, and winter is here so it will look normal to wear a layer or two :)

What is the difference between Kydex (screwed) and Riveted?
    The Gladiator is OWB. Comp-Tac sight says orders ship in 4 days probably because their holsters are modular (easier and quicker to assemble). Plus you can order just the shell if you ever change what you carry and screw it on the leather back yourself.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    I want to thank EVERYONE for their phenomenal help in this thread! I am making my order tonight, still torn between Comp-Tac and Crossbreed, because I don't want to wait a month or more (Crossbreed), so I will be going with the Gladiator from Comp-Tac I think.

I can't figure out which magazine carriers are OWB on Comp-Tac's website, and what the difference between single and double stack are, I assume it means the staggered ammunition being loaded into the magazine? Mine only holds 8 rounds, so it's obviously "single" right? *(Would I be better off getting the Gladiator, but purchasing the magazine carriers and belt from different websites like Crossbreed and 5.11?)

1. OWB, Comp-Tac Gladiator HERE
    2. Belt, 1.5'' 5.11 Tactical Basket-weave (1.75'' belts are out of stock) HERE
    3. OWB magazine carrier, Crossbreed Dual HERE (Has to be able to fit the 1.50'' belt)

PS: Does anyone have any suggestions for gun-cleaning kits or supplies/techniques (I know this is off subject), I've been using cheap kits for the last couple years and the cotton patches are about gone.
    My favorite now is a Michael Kole www.michaelkole.com

Found him at a gunshow....what I liked was the versatility to go from OWB to IWB (belt straps fastened by Chicago screws)....smooth, nutin' fancy, and the double mag pouch is very slim. Nice thing is......his leather tanning matches the belt nicely.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Gun cleaning: Boresnake.......CLP aerosol.....green "army" toothbrush
    Gun cleaning: Boresnake.......CLP aerosol.....green "army" toothbrush

For routine cleaning and dusting....This.....
    And Wambli.....those shorts make your butt look fat......jus' sayin'.......:tooth:
    There is no reason why you can't have more than one holster. You will rarely find folks who have only one holster......
    I'm in love with a Glock
    That's why most of us have the "holster box".......that box of old holsters that we've bought...tried.....but can't throw out cause we've spent $$ on that leather or kit....hoping that someday....we can unload our mistakes on someone else.
    That's why most of us have the "holster box".......

Exactly....