Home Main Category Personal Defense

Help with finding a suitable holster for Concealed Carry please

13»

Replies

• I'm goneI'm gone New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I use a Galco king tuk, looks alot like the c/b holster, $60 at the gun range so no wait, I have a G26.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I thought that was anti-aids medication? (A comeback I will regret I'm sure)

Theriously Ensooooo? We all thought you were bigger than that.....but seeing you've been going for a smaller package over the years.....
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • 2nd Amendment2nd Amendment New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know my holster should be here today! I went with Comp-Tac, and also got a double magazine holder as well.

Also, I spent the last week straight doing hours upon hours of research and settled on Hydra-Shock 230gr and Pow'R Ball ammo for my CC ammunition. I'll stagger them so I can get the first shot off safely without over-penetrating walls or the perpetrator, and if the Pow'R Ball doesn't work, then it'll have a Federal Hydra-Shock right behind it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    I'll stagger them so I can get the first shot off safely without over-penetrating walls or the perpetrator, and if the Pow'R Ball doesn't work, then it'll have a Federal Hydra-Shock right behind it.

Buddy, you're thinking waaayyy to hard....it really ain't all that hard,,,,:) Some would tell you that mixing rounds in the same magazine is begging for a malfunction....pick one, you'll be fine. HOWEVER, without fail, make sure the ammo you pick funtions reliably in your handgun....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Buddy, you're thinking waaayyy to hard....it really ain't all that hard,,,,:) Some would tell you that mixing rounds in the same magazine is begging for a malfunction....pick one, you'll be fine. HOWEVER, without fail, make sure the ammo you pick funtions reliably in your handgun....

I'll definitely take your advice and stick to one type of round per magazine. I have owned my 1911 for around five years now, and I have never had one jam happen after going through range time and concealed carry tests and recreational shooting, I didn't even know that could happen, and I've even used the cheap Blazer's and American Eagles for target practice.

MY HOLSTER CAME IN TODAY! Now sure why, but Comp-Tac sent Sprees with the holster and magazine carrier, haha.

Thank you for your help EVERYONE!
    UPDATE
    Today was the first day of my life, as a Concealed Carrier! :)

Thoughts:
    - The S&W 1911 .45 5'' firearm is heavy. That was expected, not a surprise, but it made going to the rest room in public almost impossible
    - I think I may need an actual "gun belt" as advised earlier in this thread, however... I went to a few local stores today, and I'm curious if perhaps the nylon tactical belt types from 5.11 (opposed to their leather) would be sufficient, so I can save some money and be more comfortable? (I emailed 5.11 last week, and found out their belts are not 100% top grain leather/hide, but rather only the outer portion is genuine leather, and the middle layer is some synthetic mystery material... so I think I'll go with Crossbreed for quality if buying one becomes a necessity)

Pros:
    - It's basically the biggest firearm this side of a Desert Eagle, so, stopping power isn't an issue aside from a Juggernaut or Howitzer
    - It felt GREAT exercising my right as a felony-free AMERICAN

Cons:
    - It's basically the biggest firearm this side of a Desert Eagle
    - I couldn't take it into Chuck-E-Cheese's, HAHA!

All in all, I am very happy, and am now investigating going with a S&W MP .45 or Springfield XDm to replace the chrome cannon I now own, for CC purposes (thoughts)?
    A nylon gunbelt should have a stiffener between the layers... a leather gunbelt is normally a double thickness of leather.

If neither of those trip your trigger...look at these...dynamite gun belt...
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Liger-Gun-Belt-c16.htm

This may sound kinda silly but were you going #1 or # 2? In either case it helps if you go into a stall....and there IS actually a procedure for going #2 in a public can while packing...
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    This may sound kinda silly but were you going #1 or # 2? In either case it helps if you go into a stall....and there IS actually a procedure for going #2 in a public can while packing...

This. I always use a stall regardless of the number I gotta do. Most of the time there's one of them huge TP lockers with a flat surface on top to put my CC on. When all else fails the vertical pipe the flush lever is on will suffice, just got to balance things right, but remember to re-holster before you flush. :yikes:
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    A nylon gunbelt should have a stiffener between the layers... a leather gunbelt is normally a double thickness of leather.

If neither of those trip your trigger...look at these...dynamite gun belt...
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Liger-Gun-Belt-c16.htm

HA! #2, thanks for asking

I am on that belt website now thanks!
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Crossbreed makes belts too. After my Don Hume belt wore out, I went with a Crossbreed. His belts are as good as his holsters.
    Hi gentlemen, and happy new year!

I just wanted to very quickly share what's been going on over the last month.

After using my Comp-Tac holster for a week, I noticed very obvious and unfortunate marring on the finish of my otherwise pristine 1911 (and yes, I made proper torsion adjustment to the holster), and after spending hours trying to get them to buff out somehow, to my dismay the markings are permanent on several locations around the firearm.

I contacted MIke Graves at Comp-Tac and explained the situation, and although they issued me an RMA to send it back, it was a very upsetting turn of events because in light of their product devaluing and scratching my almost $1,000 S&W 1911, I was treated indifferently and told "management will not approve a refund on your shipping." Wow, so after placing my faith in Comp-Tac, spending well over $100, and then having one of my most valuable assets harmed... they couldn't refund my another SIX BUCKS on top of my order price? Unreal.

So, I will be switching to a leather holster from here on out for the remainder of my carrying days - and wonder if anyone might have some good direction on where to seek those types of OWB holsters that will be kind to my finish please? Thanks a lot.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Any type of holster will wear your finish. Leather or kydex. Carrying it will cause wear marks.

I just call them "character marks" on my 1911.

MultiplePhotos185.jpg
    MultiplePhotos180.jpg
    MultiplePhotos183.jpg
    MultiplePhotos186BW.png
    I'm just here for snark.
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Just think of it as your gun building character.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
    I understand the premise of what's being said, however, I can't reconcile "character marks" or scratches after 2 DAYS of casual carrying at work... TWO DAYS!? I've owned it for over 5 years at this point, and it's been kept at painstaking efforts in museum quality, and then to pull it out of the holster after a couple days to see marks all over was just a massive shock to me. If I would have known that, I would have gotten a black-finish little $500 much cheaper firearm.

:(

Any leather suggestions?
    You want "museum quality" in a carry piece? REALLY? lg_rofl.gif
    Any leather suggestions?

Nope! Holster wear is an undisputed fact of life...leather or kydex....

As painful as this is for you....you need to get over it or wrap your pistol in an old diaper and resign it to being a safe queen..carry guns get wear marks....just wait until you drop the thing the first time....

Anyone ever tell you that you have some unrealistic expectations?
    Kydex is plastic. You're putting it in plastic and carrying it and it's moving. It does that in leather, just takes a longer time. Honestly, if you want to keep it museum quality, don't carry it and shoot it very little. That's the only real way to eliminate holster wear.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Kydex is plastic. You're putting it in plastic and carrying it and it's moving. It does that in leather, just takes a longer time. Honestly, if you want to keep it museum quality, don't carry it and shoot it very little. That's the only real way to eliminate holster wear.

I'm not sure if the feedback is tongue-in-cheek, or if you guys actually think I want a firearm that stays pristine for centuries on end? What I said was I was appalled that after 5 years of shooting, disassembling, reassembling, cleaning, and enjoying my 1911, after two DAYS of carrying 9-4pm, overt and irremovable marring occurred, basically negating the care and caution I had exercised for years to maintain it to the best of anyone's ability. Seems logical to me. I'm not asking for it to be placed atop a platinum pillar surrounded by lasers and bars and sharks swimming in a tank with lasers on their heads.

Just like I have a new vehicle, I understand that sure every time you turn the key and go from point-a to point-b you're going to experience some atmospheric paint stress and microscopic corrosion to the enamel and clear-coated paint surfaces... but if that same new car ended up rubbed and dull and scratched 28 days before the 30 day plates expired, I'd be concerned. Also, I think it's a bit of misinformation that a leather holster will cause marring to the extent and with the same speed and severity as a rock hard solid plastic tightly compressed sheath.

Like I said before, I'm not looking for a magical unicorn holster that gives my firearm a special back rub and application of wax every time I holster it, but if I would have known in 2 days more damage would be cause than in 5 years, I would have kept it for the range and recreation, and bought a cheap $500 firearm to get abused and worn. That's all.
    What had you kept it in before? Like I said, you were putting it plastic and it's moving. Holster wear happens, again as I said it happens quicker in kydex than in leather. But you'll have holster wear. So, you have to decide if it's something you can live with or not. Look at a police revolver: carried in leather, they usually have holster wear. Older military firearms have the same issues. If you'd have investigated (or asked) most would tell you that kydex induces wear, but it's self-limiting: once it gets to a point, it goes no further.
    I'm just here for snark.
    I'm not sure if the feedback is tongue-in-cheek

No...our replies were not tongue-in-cheek....my brand-spankin new G36 started picking up holster wear the first day I started carrying it around in a holster....the only cure for it is to buy a working gun you're not all that concerned about
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    So, I will be switching to a leather holster from here on out for the remainder of my carrying days - and wonder if anyone might have some good direction on where to seek those types of OWB holsters that will be kind to my finish please? Thanks a lot.

Two things with a leather holster will help minimize (not eliminate) holster wear. First is proper fit - for daily carry spring for something that has been molded to shape, this holds the gun more stable than a looser fit.

Second is suede lining. It will add thickness to the holster, and weight - whether or not this is a bad thing for you only you can decide.

Daily carry can be hard on any piece of equipment. Pocketknives, key rings, wallets, you get the picture. Expect some wear - er, character - to show up on a daily carry tool, there's nothing to be done for that. Yet another reason I prefer to get used guns over brand new - if it's a working gun I disregard cosmetics and save a bundle by getting something with some built-in character.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Leather is a little better for not wearing.

I also don't take my carry pistol in and out of the holster. I take the holster off my belt with the pistol still in it and put it in the lock box. Next day I put the holster back on my belt with the pistol still in it. Only take it out to shoot it, clean it, or practice my draw.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    ... but if that same new car ended up rubbed and dull and scratched 28 days before the 30 day plates expired, I'd be concerned.
    Not so far out of the realm of possibilities for all '74 Pinto owners. :rotflmao:

Seriously tho, If you thought Kydex was bad, wait until the summer and your own sweating.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • BlitschBlitsch Member Posts: 31 Member
    Welcome aboard this is a great place to get advice on anything gun related. I've been here about a year and the wealth of knowldege the people have is just fantastic. Hope to see you around!

Okay I don't know where we are on the count for the Crossbreed but that's the first one I bought and I love it. Everyone says you'll end up with a box of holsters trying to find the right one for you but I took everyone's advice and put the money up for the crossbreed and it's amazing. I sit at a desk all day and I have no discomfort from carrying a springfield 40 xd IWB.

Now I'm going to piggy back on this question and ask if anyone has heard of or used everyday holsters? http://everydayholsters.com/ A buddy of mine is looking for a holster and I raved about the crossbreed but he found this online. It's half the price of the crossbreed and looks like it's a take of it? I don't want him to spend the money and get a nock off and whish he'd gone for the crossbreed. Just wanted to get the communities opinion on it.

thanks for the help
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Holster wear is just one of those things one has to learn to live with. Maybe some were a bit harsh but you sent back a holster that was functioning perfectly for no reason what so ever.

I got some awesome custom grips for my SP101 and had them checkereded. man I love them but I got tolooking at them and I can see that I am ruining the checker job by carrying that revolver... about a fourth of it is already flattened. They still look awesome but it hurts my head to think of the time spent doing that checker job by hand just wearing away.

SP101grip.jpg
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Blitsch I aint got no cross breed myself I have a Kholster..

The simplicity of the design makes me believe that any maker of similar is going to be about as good as another.

Someone here makes his own copy... and I would love to get my hands on one.