Old war horse dressed up to play

5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior MemberPosts: 3,923 Senior Member
Been having issues with pasting with the mouse, and the "insert image icon" isn't cooperating....hope these come out ok!

This is a 1903 Springfield I found in a pawnshop for 3 bills......came with a Timney trigger. The sporter stock was cracked garbage, so I replaced it with a Boyd's walnut stock, and spent the better part of a month sanding/oiling/drying/sanding/oiling/drying.....you get the picture. Figured the ole girl should kinda go au natural in the old fashioned route but with a new dress.....no polyurethane or wax. Sights are Redfield peeps....action is Remington made in 1942...barrel is marked RA 11-43 with the ordnance mark.....there's also an XA57 on the barrel, and caliber is not stamped.....anyone have any idea what the XA57 means?

Took her to the range with MHS and grouped within 4"@ 100 yards. A month before hunting season started, I had her glass bedded and replaced the Boyd's recoil pad with one from Kick-eze.....and went to the range again on Veterans day for final sight-in. The first shot I pulled high 'cause the guy 3' to my left in the indoor range startled me with a 7mm remmag, and I was against the right wall, so I got a slap from his muzzle blast.....yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses :tooth: However, the next two shots made me a happy camper!

Doh! Forgot.....ammo is .30'06 Hornady Superformance 165 gr SST.

PB300029.jpg

PB300030.jpg

PB300033.jpg

PB300040.jpg

PB300045.jpg

PB300032.jpg

PB300043.jpg
God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,472 Senior Member
    Nice, Steve. I'd say you found a real treasure.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    :up:I love it!!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Cool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Awesome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    Very nice job. Good way to class up the old girl!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    Looking good! That's "meat in the pot" accuracy out well past 200 yards. Scopes are nice, but a good receiver sight can turn in some very acceptable groups!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Really, Really Nice. That looks like my Boyd walnut stock. I didn't stain it and left it light. I finished it in Formby's low gloss tung oil. I put on about 7 coats sanding it down in between. Then when it was thoroughly dry, I followed it with Rotten Stone. Then put on a couple of coats of Tree Wax, which really set it off.

Like I said, nice gun.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Thanks fellas! She really appreciates your compliments like any gal does.....:tooth:

I didn't stain the stock either, just BC Tru-oil......came out a nice light brown color and the grain really popped out...it says "I'm good old fashioned wood".
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    I dig it.

Nice work, bringing the old girl back to service.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :cool2::cool2::cool2::love: I like that rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice score 5280!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    barrel is marked RA 11-43 with the ordnance mark.....there's also an XA57 on the barrel, and caliber is not stamped.....anyone have any idea what the XA57 means?

I have an RA 9-43 03A3 barrel here with XA 55 in the same place , so your XA 57 is most likely a heat-treat or steel lot code.

USGI barrels were never caliber marked.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    Looks pretty good
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    All of you guys finding these old sporterized war horse 1903's and Mausers really suck.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    All of you guys finding these old sporterized war horse 1903's and Mausers really suck.

Last ones I saw were really badly done. Including holes drilled off-center , crooked , broken taps and worse. I've even seen bases brazed and welded on!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member

Thank You! That is all. :tooth:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    A 1903 and a M1 Garand are on my want list.

That is a nice sporterized one right there. I like the Lyman from sight.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Near as I could find, "XA57" is a lot number of steel production for 1903 rifles.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers