Home Main Category General Firearms

What's with the white line spacer hate?

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
Am I the only one here that likes the look? Maybe not on every gun, but it seems like hate for the spacer is pretty universal here.
«1

Replies

  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    White line spacers are for kitchen-table "gunsmiths" who can't fit two different-colored pieces of forend wood together without a bunch of unsightly gaps. Ditto for grip caps and recoil pads. They're gaudy, butt-ugly, and yell "amateur" to everyone who sees them. Other than that, no problem!
    Jerry
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    I do not how many it takes to be universal but I am on your side.

    Is it an age thing perhaps?

    I like the looks of the white line spacers.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    White line spacers are for kitchen-table "gunsmiths" who can't fit two different-colored pieces of forend wood together without a bunch of unsightly gaps. Ditto for grip caps and recoil pads. They're gaudy, butt-ugly, and yell "amateur" to everyone who sees them. Other than that, no problem!
    Jerry

    And they dont always stay white and if removed, the buttplate won't fit right...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    U-G-L-Y
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Depends on the gun, I don't mind them on some of the older Rem 700's.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I had a pellet gun when I was 12 or so. It had that danged white spacer and came off as soon as I noticed it. Uuuuuugly.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    And they dont always stay white and if removed, the buttplate won't fit right...

    This...they turn yellow with age...an old plastic kinda yellow....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    Like Teach says. . .The spacers are typically a rubbery material that compresses to fill gaps, so it's (A) a shortcut, and (B) not much of an aesthetic in most cases.

    I used one on a restoration once because that's what the old Mossberg .22 originally came with, but it's nothing I'd do or want on a custom.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The only thing "white" that looks good on a gun is well-aged ivory. Remember General Patton's comment to a reporter about his "pearl-handled" guns?
    Jerry
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,762 Senior Member
    I don't like forend tips or spacers on the forearms, but I've got nothing against a white spacer at the buttplate....on most firearms, anyway.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Back in the 40s & 50s a lot of high end guns had white spacers, Weatherby, Winslow Arms, etc. they also had white diamonds inlaid in the butt and forend. Most were ivory, and you could order ivory and plastic, from some of the gun supply shops. Bishop and Fajen sold "90 %" finished stocks wih spacers.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I don't like forend tips or spacers on the forearms, but I've got nothing against a white spacer at the buttplate....on most firearms, anyway.

    Mike

    I don't care one way or the other, whatever turns your crank. I put some on my .270 once that I cut out of a bleach bottle, LOL. But took them off the next time I refinished the stock.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Back in the 40s & 50s a lot of high end guns had white spacers, Weatherby, Winslow Arms, etc. they also had white diamonds inlaid in the butt and forend. Most were ivory, and you could order ivory and plastic, from some of the gun supply shops. Bishop and Fajen sold "90 %" finished stocks wih spacers.

    JAY

    :that: WL spacers used to be high-end dress-up.......then it turned into dressing up the economy rifles.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The only thing "white" that looks good on a gun is well-aged ivory. Remember General Patton's comment to a reporter about his "pearl-handled" guns?
    Jerry

    I sure do, Teach, can't repeat it here though!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I never really gave it much thought one way or another. I like guns,and if I come across one I want to buy if it has a white line spacer installed in it, if I really want the gun,I will not let that stop me from buying the gun. I have never had a true custom rifle. I did buy a 30-06 from a boss in 1999,but it was a custom made rifle for him,not me.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Like whitewall tires, I reckon. Depends on what they are installed on.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Removed them on any guns I own that came with them like my Remington 870s and Marlins. Never understood why gun companies added them. Why not just do a bunch of Von Dutch pinstriping on the stock.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The only thing "white" that looks good on a gun is well-aged ivory. Remember General Patton's comment to a reporter about his "pearl-handled" guns?
    Jerry

    something about a pimp in a cheap New Orleans....
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I like em
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Never really had an opinion one way or another.
    FWIW-None of my rifles have a white spacer on them:jester:
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well there are worse things that could be done to a perfectly good rifle y'all have all seen some of the abortions on rifles posted on here, some look like 'Rust-Oleum' specials.........:yikes::yikes::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    What's with the .270 hate? What's with the Taurus hate? What's with ....any of it? Opinions man Opinions. But then they can become "Mob Mentality."
    Think for yourself, do YOU like whiteline spacers and if yes, WHY. And the answer to that shouldn't be because "so and so doesn't like em" it should be "because I don't like em." Mob mentality has no place in here, think for yourself. I myself don't like white line spacers because they are gaudy looking to me. But whatever turns your crank.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Would it help you to know there is a gent in Canada that is winning Open F-Class matches with a .277 cal, using Matrix bullets?
    http://www.matrixballistics.com/.277-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html
    He comes down and competes here in the states some too.
    Relax and :chill:Your 270 will always be ineffective beyond 79 yards:rotflmao::jester:
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    What's with the .270 hate? What's with the Taurus hate? What's with ....any of it? Opinions man Opinions. But then they can become "Mob Mentality."
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    What's with the .270 hate? What's with the Taurus hate? What's with ....any of it? Opinions man Opinions. But then they can become "Mob Mentality."
    Think for yourself, do YOU like whiteline spacers and if yes, WHY. And the answer to that shouldn't be because "so and so doesn't like em" it should be "because I don't like em." Mob mentality has no place in here, think for yourself. I myself don't like white line spacers because they are gaudy looking to me. But whatever turns your crank.

    The Taurus "Hate" is well founded by former Taurus owners on here, viewed by many like myself as iffy pot-metal poorly made junk.

    The .270 is another story altogether, either touted as the best thing since sliced bread or a turd of a caliber that can be bested/outdone by many other choices.............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    If you do not like the white spacers, or have one crack, what with and how do you replace them?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    The Taurus "Hate" is well founded by former Taurus owners on here, viewed by many like myself as iffy pot-metal poorly made junk.

    The .270 is another story altogether, either touted as the best thing since sliced bread or a turd of a caliber that can be bested/outdone by many other choices.............

    Chief, I have NO problem with anything you say about Taurus or anything for that matter, because you are one on here that states your honest opinion. I'm just talking about those that jump on a band wagon. And the Taurus hate has come up on here. From what I've seen, I won't be buying any Taurus products. Not because anybody here told me, I'm just not that impressed with them. Maybe if they were about half the price they are now, but for my money I'll spend it on S&W, Springfield Armory, Colt, and places like that.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Dr. db's Dictionary.
    fashion, n, (fashun), anything you would be embarrassed that you owned or wore if you see it in a picture 5 years from now.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Ernie, I wasn't getting on the .270 band wagon. Or the Taurus band wagon. Don't want to start a war this morning over Barrel Breakin. Just making a point about the heard mentality that can spawn here and polarize this whole forum on ANY subject.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Chief, I have NO problem with anything you say about Taurus or anything for that matter, because you are one on here that states your honest opinion. I'm just talking about those that jump on a band wagon. And the Taurus hate has come up on here. From what I've seen, I won't be buying any Taurus products. Not because anybody here told me, I'm just not that impressed with them. Maybe if they were about half the price they are now, but for my money I'll spend it on S&W, Springfield Armory, Colt, and places like that.

    That's right, folks should make up their own minds. My philosophy is I like what I like and if someone doesn't that's fine, but they can go hug a root if they think I'll change my opinion because of their opinions. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Would it help you to know there is a gent in Canada that is winning Open F-Class matches with a .277 cal, using Matrix bullets?
    http://www.matrixballistics.com/.277-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html
    He comes down and competes here in the states some too.
    Relax and :chill:Your 270 will always be ineffective beyond 79 yards:rotflmao::jester:

    Actually, I know its limitations and I try to keep my shots under 50 yards.......:yesno::roll2:

    However, this is interesting! F-Class at that, I wonder if Peg knows... Hehehe!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement