Home Main Category General Firearms

What's with the white line spacer hate?

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    No problem-Just sharing what a customer shared with me a couple of months ago-Thought it would bring a smile to you:wink:
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Ernie, I wasn't getting on the .270 band wagon. Or the Taurus band wagon. Don't want to start a war this morning over Barrel Breakin. Just making a point about the heard mentality that can spawn here and polarize this whole forum on ANY subject.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Only snake could turn a thread about white line spacers into a 270 thread.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Er , because John Moses Browning never used a white line spacer! :fiddle:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I can live with them, but don't like them. In fact, I don't like the styling on Weatherby rifles at all, diamonds inlaid in the stocks, bowling ball finish, exaggerated pistol grips, skip line checkering. A white line pad wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I just don't like them. My bud had one on his Marlin and he colored it black with a Sharpie, and it looked 100% better.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I am mostly indifferent about the spacers, unless it looks especially gaudy - but then I'm pretty much an off-the-shelf kind of guy.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I know of no one here (that is of sound mind) that becomes polarized by any "heard mentality". Folks here like what they like.

I don't know about that, when it comes to chickens and spandex around here, the "herd rules":tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yep, I wear spandex when cycling but I will leave the pink one to, well you know :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Yep, I wear spandex when cycling but I will leave the pink one to, well you know :)

It would match that stock you have;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    It would match that stock you have;)

Very true! :)
    Next week it is coming off though.
    Got a new center-grip stock in and it is going on the 6.5Leopard
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    I want to see Taurus make a 270 that had a white spacer...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Is the Moral: Pick On The Pink & Pucker For A Loss? (-;
    cpj wrote: »
    Hmmm. Remember when I said I would send a hundred?
    Make that a NONEdred. :tooth:

Actually im sending it all.:up: Now you can have rifle money.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 478 Member
    I like em. I have two that came that way from the factory years ago. Hardly the product of kitchen table gunsmithing.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I want to see Taurus make a 270 that had a white spacer...

And the forearm must be engraved...."hate me today" and the other side...."hate me tomorrow"....
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I like them. A lot. On Remington 700 BDL models they look great. BTW, I also like a decent semi or high gloss finish on my wood stocks as well. Am "oil finish" is much less expensive to do, and I don't like corners cut especially when prices are comparable with well finished models. I suspect that people who dislike white line probably think polymer pistols are also somehow attractive.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    I like them. A lot..

Here's a quarter- - - -call someone who cares!
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Ernie, Just making a point about the heard mentality that can spawn here and polarize this whole forum on ANY subject.

What is that?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that likes the look? Maybe not on every gun, but it seems like hate for the spacer is pretty universal here.

I'm not sure if any of my rifles even have any white spacers. I suppose it's not that important.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    I don't mind them. Better on fancy rifles with shiny, high monte carlo, wood stocks, and hi luster blued metal...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Just got the latest "Guns and ammo". Good article on the 50th anniversary Rem.700, and guess what, It has the White spacers installed...
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Like the majority, I think they look fine, on some guns. If I purchased a gun that came with them, I would/I did leave them alone. I once made a set of them, for my Ruger Bearcat, out of an old bleach bottle, that TKOCB had thrown out. They look pretty good, to me, and they make the stocks a little wider, and easier to grip. They have been on the Bearcat since I bought it, in the early 60's, for $49.50, NITB.....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    I'm pretty indifferent about them. I have an older Remington 700 BDL with them, and a new-ish Remington 700 Classic without. I prefer the looks of the Classic, but the BDL looks fine to me as well.

Were I building a custom rifle it would not have them, but I don't dislike them enough to pass on a rifle that has them.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Who started the white line spacer anyway?

Weatherby?

Some of his creations from the 50s-60s were really tacky!
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Who started the white line spacer anyway?

Weatherby?

Well if that's the case I have two of them.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I'm pretty indifferent about them. I have an older Remington 700 BDL with them, and a new-ish Remington 700 Classic without. I prefer the looks of the Classic, but the BDL looks fine to me as well.

Were I building a custom rifle it would not have them, but I don't dislike them enough to pass on a rifle that has them.

Yeah, and besides a good permanent Magic Marker will do wonders! :rotflmao:

In other words, I'm not passing on a rifle that I want that has them either.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Took 'em outta my Rem 870's.

P7170002.jpg
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I don't care one way or the other, whatever turns your crank. I put some on my .270 once that I cut out of a bleach bottle, LOL. But took them off the next time I refinished the stock.

Great minds must think alike, LOL. I cut out white spacers out of a bleach bottle for my Ruger Bearcat. They added just enough extra thickness to make them more comfortable, and they look good, on that gun...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    I'm pretty indifferent about them. If a stock is being made to my specs it won't have them, but I'm certainly not going to try and remove them from my 700 BDL. Besides, the faded yellow adds character ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Ernie, I wasn't getting on the .270 band wagon. Or the Taurus band wagon. Don't want to start a war this morning over Barrel Breakin. Just making a point about the heard mentality that can spawn here and polarize this whole forum on ANY subject.

I for one never jumped on any hate of Taurus bandwagon, I have simply stated what my experiences have been with Taurus revolvers, and what I dislike about them.
    I have shot their Beretta clones, and they shot well enough, however, for what they were, I thought they were too clunky.
    Then there's that pesty little 39 Million dollar law suit, sure, all the negative Taurus comments are merely hate mongering.
    No basis in fact.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Looking at my AR15A2 clone.

**hmmmm**
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs