Arthritis making it hard to run the XD slide

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

Regarding using the holster edge or some other thing to brace against (as was suggested), sure, if you're taking your time and so on. But Ken was originally asking about a shooting situation, where he'd need to clear the action in a hurry.

Actually, the recommended action is a drill taught by many self-defense instructors as a method of quickly and efficiently running the slide if you've got an injured hand or arm. It's a good skill to have for the defensive-minded, with many newer sights being configured to allow this action.

I've got 10-8 rear sight on my 1911 for just such an action, and yes, I do practice it.

BatonRougeMay2010165.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    I remember an article wrote by Mike Venturino in HANDGUNS magazine in which he recomended a Ruger Single Six as a defense tool for an arthritic patient with little hand strength left, using a .22 LR cylinder for training, and a .22 Magnum for defense.

Also in Handguns, Duane Thomas wrote a full article about "orthopedic guns". I remember that he mentioned there the Beretta 86 (a .380 handgun with a tip-up barrel), as an option in case of being no longer capable of racking the slide of a bigger gun.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I remember an article wrote by Mike Venturino in HANDGUNS magazine in which he recomended a Ruger Single Six as a defense tool for an arthritic patient with little hand strength left, using a .22 LR cylinder for training, and a .22 Magnum for defense.

Also in Handguns, Duane Thomas wrote a full article about "orthopedic guns". I remember that he mentioned there the Beretta 86 (a .380 handgun with a tip-up barrel), as an option in case of being no longer capable of racking the slide of a bigger gun.

One of My Uncles could not manage a slide or cylinder of most handguns, I finally had him try a mint condition S&W top break revolver in .38 S&W, and he cold manage it well, it was the only handgun he could load and unload easily.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    Well, I got the grip tape and put it on in several places on the slide where I needed better grip - didn't think it was possible to make an XD even uglier but that sure did it! etc.

You're right, except that my Glocks are even uglier! However they did mess up a bit with my XD Tactical w. stainless slide, and mistakenly made the pistol look pretty good:

XDtac.jpg

It's about the best looking polymer pistol I've ever seen.

Funny that the skate shop kid knew your goal. Thanks for the feedback and further postings.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 781 Senior Member
    Hey guys - I range-tested the grip-taped XD this AM. Did all the usual drills including clearing malfunctions and everything I was having trouble doing before. The grip tape seems to have solved the problem so I'm happy again. :cool2:
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Glad to hear it Ken.

:up:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Great to hear, ken. We're all rooting for you.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx