Once again since we lost the old threads.... How to do the paperwork on a SBR?

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,556 Senior Member
May have a good gain sharing check coming. Most will go for bills, but might squirrel enough away to finally get at least an AR lower. I want it registered for future SBR uppers (with can, I think it is the way to go for HD). How did you (SBR) owners do your paperwork? I remember a trust is the way to go???

What I'm wishing for....

ar15_8bbl_right.jpg
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    u have IM
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Can we get a public post about it? I got the form from BATFE and it looks straight forward enough, but I want some experience from folks who have put pen to paper on this. I'm up to speed about local Chief LEO sign-offs, but what exactly to write on the form I would like some advice on.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    you can go anyway you want. it will depend on how you local LEO will treat it. Ours will sign off, but will enclose a letter stating his personal views on such unappropriate things.

really, if you have ANY questions, call the ATFE. they were really helpful on my 2 SBRs and were more then helpful on helping me fix the errors on my Form 1.

just fill out the form. if you have any SPECIFIC questions ask here or the AFTE. asking non specific questions is vague and wont get you anywhere.

also, dont forget the fingerprint card and the other race form.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bansheebanshee Member Posts: 33 Member
    "How do I legally build a SBR/SBS?" It is not as hard as a lot of people think it is. The part that is the most aggravating is the CLEO signature and the finger printing.

So, here we go..

First and foremost, you must ensure that SBR/SBSs are lawful in your state of residence. After that, and assuming SBR/SBSs are lawful in your state, you must:

- Complete and sign 2 copies of ATF Form 5320.1 (Form 1 - Application to Make and Register a Firearm)
    - Attach 1 passport-style photos to each Form 1 (2 photos total)
    - Obtain the original signature (certification) of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in your area on each Form 1. The CLEO may be the Chief of Police of your town, the Sheriff of your county or a District Attorney, among others. Depending on where you live and who you know this may be easy to obtain, or it may be virtually impossible.
    - Complete and sign 1 copy of ATF Form 5330.20 "Certificate of Compliance"
    - Include 2 sets of your fingerprints on ATF FD-258 fingerprint cards.
    - Send all forms (with attached photos) and fingerprint cards, along with a $200 check (or money order) for payment of the Making Tax, to the address on the form. I recommend Registered Mail for this.
    - Wait
    - Wait
    - Wait some more (Actually it's not forever ... it just feels that way when it's your first time)
    - In approximately 30-180 days, ATF will return 1 original approved Form to you.

After ATF returns the approved form you may lawfully assemble or "make" your SBR/SBS. Please note that you cannot lawfully make the SBR/SBS until after ATF has approved your application, neither should you possess the parts to complete the SBR/SBS until you have received the approved form. AS soon as you get the form back, make several GOOD copies of it, and put the original one up in a safe place like a fire safe, lock box or even better, a safe deposit box. The ATF WILL NOT replace it if you lose it, they will send you a crappy photo copy. REMEMBER, This form keeps your butt out of jail.

Once you get the forms back you will need a short barrel. You can buy one or cut one down yourself. I have done both.
    You will also need to mark the frame, receiver, or barrel with the following info by engraving or stamping. (This information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. and plainly visible, not hidden under the fore-end)
    - your name
    - City, state

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422 ... 79.102.htm

"But where do I get these forms?" you ask.

very simple grasshopper. you can down load all of them but the fingerprint cards. The Police dept can furnish the finger print cards or you can order them from the ATF here http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

The form 1 and "Certificate of Compliance" can be down loaded from these sites.

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/web/forms.htm

http://www.atf.gov/forms/5300instructions.htm#5320

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf

If you don't want to download the forms, you can go to this ATF site and order as many of the forms you want. Same site as the Finger print cards. http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

ALWAYS keep a copy of the approved form with the gun. You can travel anywhere within your state without notifying anyone, (the same has a normal firearm) If you want to take it to another state, you MUST FIRST, notify the ATF with a form 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This is tax free, and you can download from the same website as the others or use this direct link.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Is it worth all of this just to have a shotgun or rifle with a short barrel? To me it is, but you will have to make that decision

- So now grass hopper,go forth and shoot your new toy!!

I don't know if all of the links are still good or not. I will recheck them and make any corrections
    Thanks Banshee. Good info.....

Can you get a stamp for a lower you already own??? Can you buy it first, then get a stamp later???
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Can you get a stamp for a lower you already own???

yes.

jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Can you buy it first, then get a stamp later???

yes.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Didn't you set up a trust Wambli? Can that be done without a lawyer?? Lawyers are more $$$ than tax stamps!!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Sorry I jumped into this one late. You already got all the correct info and all I can add is, yes it's worth going through the hassle and agree that the ATF folks are very helpful and easy to work with. I moved while I was in the middle of my application process (not the smartest thing I've ever done) and they still worked with me to get everything straightemend out and out the door in good time.

you can do the trust w/o a lawyer, but as its said in a court room. only an idiot would defend himself...or something to that affect.

creating a trust required legal paperwork. do you know what will happen to the toys once you kick off? are you sure you know what will happen? do you know the laws regarding a trust? creating a trust may allow your possession of SBRs to be public information.

if you go the trust route, spend some of your $$$ and use a lawyer to make sure you and your family is covered.

also, there are lawyers that specialize or have done firearm trusts. they know the ins/outs and what to lookout for for you.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    So I have to ask. If I got the required tax stamp for a supressor, could I make one for whichever firearm I choose legally? Can I make one with a tax stamp period???? Or does it have to be bought?
    So I have to ask. If I got the required tax stamp for a supressor, could I make one for whichever firearm I choose legally? Can I make one with a tax stamp period???? Or does it have to be bought?

A tax stamp for a can is for the can only. You can put the can on ANY gun you wish. im not sure about "manufacturing" a can. It may require some other paperwork or a license to manufacture.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Hmmmm.... I'll be danged. I actually heard somewhere "hearsay," that each can had to be registered to an individual firearm per stamp. But trust me, I believe you, not the hearsay. Just wasnt sure if I can manufacture my own.
    Hmmmm.... I'll be danged. I actually heard somewhere "hearsay," that each can had to be registered to an individual firearm per stamp. But trust me, I believe you, not the hearsay. Just wasnt sure if I can manufacture my own.

im not an BATFE agent, doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist or cheerleader, but i play one on the www.

when in doubt, get it direct from the horses mouth. Call the BATFE and ask them. they are really helpful, really. they are only a phone call away and its their job to answer those questions.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Morans, Morons, Mormons..........

So, who is big sexy ??????
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I have an SBR here in PR they are not regulated, to get the stamp over there, do yo register the lower or the upper? if I where to move to let's say FL, could I install the SBR upper on a registered Pistol lower I have laying around, put something else that is not an SBR on the regular upper and be "in law" that way?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".