Custom Knife question.

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 10,726 Senior Member
I have a patient that just bought a small market with a meat counter and she is having some tendonitis issues in her hands and arms, have any of you used a custom knife maker to design a knife unique to your hand, and if so, do you need to see your knife maker in person to design your knife? The knife(s) would be used primarily for meat cutting.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Hope this works out for her :angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Ask Wambli. He is addicted to custom knives. To me, custom knives have always been........:yawn:
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Heathen swine... :cuss:

Hey, never said they weren't beautiful. Just that I don't care enough about them to have any myself.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Heathen swine... :cuss:

I know a lot of meat cutters and people that work in the meat packing industry. Most use cheap blades like Forschner, Dexter, and Russell . I don't think your friend would want to spend the money on a custom knife and most custom makers don't use the cheap steel like the commercial knives. I would tell him to see and DR about a brace for his hands. Most of the longtime butchers that I know have hand issues too.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
    Would it help if I told you I actually have TWO custom knives? Of course, they were gifts and I'd have never paid for them.....but I HAVE them!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    ericb wrote: »
    I know a lot of meat cutters and people that work in the meat packing industry. Most use cheap blades like Forschner, Dexter, and Russell . I don't think your friend would want to spend the money on a custom knife and most custom makers don't use the cheap steel like the commercial knives. I would tell him to see and DR about a brace for his hands. Most of the longtime butchers that I know have hand issues too.

We have a beef and a turkey packing plant nearby so access to vendors with the one size fits all knives is easy, she has somewhat smaller hands and I was curious if there were knife makers that catered to chefs and such folks, I figured they would be a bit more particular about a daily use tool. I deal with Carpal Tunnel all of the time, I want to cut off the tendonitis before it gets there, so to speak. I was thinking a knife designed to fit her hand would be a step in the right direction.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    I don't know if the guy I use does that kind of knives but I can tell you the guy is a genious in figuring out what I want from long distance and over the phone. Give him a shout. His name is Bruce Gillespie and he is a great guy to work with.
    www.gillespieknives.com

Thanks for the link Wambli, I will pass it on.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Well I bought a couple of big Dexters knives for filleting fish (Kingfish) and the darn things are stupid sharp. Now I do not know how they would hold up to constant use but for the stuff I needed them for they worked great and you are right they are relatively cheap.

I don't understand how folks can work with dull knives or knives that won't hold an edge. I took a few cooking lessons and you had to bring your own knives and in the course of one class we had to move from one station to another and work with other cooks and their equipment, I almost walked out because it was so annoying working with other folks knives. Of course a bunch of idiots actually complained that my knives were TOO sharp. Needless to say the instructor corrected them swiftly.

Funny this thread came up because I've been actually thinking of designing and having made a custom set of kitchen knives and was thinking of calling Bruce to see if he wants to take on the project... Hummm.

Chef and Kitchen knives are a lot different than high production butchering knives.

I have a couple of Forschner breaking knives which I used for cutting up big fish. The good thing about the commercial blades is the sharpen so easy...Jut hit them a few times with a steel and keep cutting. The Fischer packing plant in Louisville actually had a guy on every shift that did nothing but sharpen and regrind knives. All Dexter and Forschner.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson