Range Report! STI Trojan 1911

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,386 Senior Member
Well folks, I had some time to kill on Friday so I decided to drag my STI Trojan 9mm 1911 out to the range. I put about 100 rounds through it and it shoots sweeter than ever. I think it is starting to settle in, as it isn't shooting as low as it was. I want to put about another 300 rounds through it before I go to replacing parts (front sight). Plus I am yet to try heavier ammo with it.

The gun:
IMG_1102.jpg

Field stripped. The guide rod is kind of annoying, but it shoots well so I'm not going to mess with it:
IMG_1192.jpg

I shot from 25 yards down to 10, with most being at 15. All of this was offhand, slow fire. The more I shoot this pistol the more I like it! I don't think it will ever replace the K/L frame revolver in my heart, but it definitely will always have a place in my safe! Here is the final 5 shot group I did at 15 yards. Not as good as I'd like, but a good start. Ammo was the bulk pack 115gr Remington stuff
IMG_1193.jpg

All in all I'm really impressed with the gun. It locks up tight as a bank vault and the ONLY failure to function I've had in about 250 rounds is one failure to lock the slide back, which I attribute to the magazine (Tripp Custom, honestly they don't work that great, at least not the 9mm design). For the price range this gun is in I would highly suggest it!
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 994 Senior Member
    Could you give us a ballpark price on how many $$ they go for?? Looks like it could be a nice compliment to my Springfield .45

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,386 Senior Member
    Per STI's site, MSRP is $1100. Seems like I've seen a website or two that had them for $850-$950. Not cheap by any means but a few people on "those strange 1911 only forums" compare the workmanship to the likes of Ed Brown and Wilson Combat.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Thanks. This is hard to describe but how is the recoil in a 9mm 1911?? I describe a .45 acp as more of a push than anything. Is the 9mm a sharp recoil or is it even noticable??

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,386 Senior Member
    It definitely will take you off target, however you can feel a hint of the slide reciprocating. I hope that makes sense...
    Yep it does. I hope you know that you and your pics have started me down the path of spending bucks on something else that I don't need.....

Denny
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,122 Senior Member
    You've hit the jackpot IMO. I have an STI TruBore Grand Master, and I've stipulated in my will that that pistol is to be interred with me in my coffin! My wife didn't even blink when I did that, as she expected nothing less! It's gonna be crowded in there, between my Weatherby, my shotguns and my STI, but hey, I'm sure I won't mind a bit! Great pistols, and great products across the board.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,607 Senior Member
    Very sweet 1911! I have always had a secret want for one in 9mm and you're making me think harder about it! Congrats
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I have an STI TruBore Grand Master, and I've stipulated in my will that that pistol is to be interred with me in my coffin!
    Guess I'll just settle with being buried with a Glock. They work anywhere so I figure they'll work in Heaven as well.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Nice STI, by the way. I'm still on the hunt for a 1911 in 9mm and even considered a STI. Just can't get past their billboard lettering on the slide.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Very sweet 1911! I have always had a secret want for one in 9mm and you're making me think harder about it! Congrats

I am getting a 9mm 1911 next month, and STI is in the lead. Can't wait to shoot that this weekend, SS3!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Guess I'll just settle with being buried with a Glock. They work anywhere so I figure they'll work in Heaven as well.
    Smart move 'cause some vulture from this forum would make a "midnight visit" to the cemetery if you were buried with any of you finest (espically any of Mr Tripp's work!)
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :usa: Very nice shooting shotgunner!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I love those 1911's just so cool, so American :usa: I like it, very nice :beer: