Let's see pics of those gardens!!

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberPosts: 2,430 Senior Member
You know your proud and want to show them off...:drool2:

As stated, I would love to see some of your gardens. If you could post pics. and let us know what all is growing in them, I would appreciate it.

I am trying to get some new idea's for next year. I am going to change my layout to something a little more "flowing" with the backyard. I am also going to diversify a little. My wife really only cares about the 'maters, so I have not been planting stuff like beans, cucumbers...etc... I will branch out next year.

Favorite recipes for things coming out of the garden would be pretty cool also.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,072 Senior Member
    Right now our garden is producing very little except cherry tomatoes...30 days of 100+ degrees has stalled nearly everything. The other 50 tomato plants (Rutgers, Early Girls, Romas) just don't produce when temps stay over 95 or so. We keep watering in the hope when temperatures fall we will see some kind of growth return. Strawberries are stalled as well.
    Beans have just plain burned up (will probably plant some August beans) Squash looks to be done as well.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Ill have to get the pics off of Mrs bml's camera. In the last week, we have started pulling up a lot of stuff that is slowing down. We will replant a once I get the soil prepped again.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    bml wrote: »
    Ill have to get the pics off of Mrs bml's camera. In the last week, we have started pulling up a lot of stuff that is slowing down. We will replant a once I get the soil prepped again.

Where are you located bml? Will you have time for another planting?
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Right now our garden is producing very little except cherry tomatoes...30 days of 100+ degrees has stalled nearly everything. The other 50 tomato plants (Rutgers, Early Girls, Romas) just don't produce when temps stay over 95 or so. We keep watering in the hope when temperatures fall we will see some kind of growth return. Strawberries are stalled as well.
    Beans have just plain burned up (will probably plant some August beans) Squash looks to be done as well.

Sorry to hear about the heat. Did the garden produce well before it hit?
    Michakav wrote: »
    Where are you located bml? Will you have time for another planting?

I'm in NE Georgia. I already have a second crop of beans in the ground that will be producing somewhere around mid August. Had I known that my first crop of beans would have been a record harvest, I prolly wouldn't have planted them again this year. I'm up to around 190 gallons of beans for the year so far. I'm running out of folks to give them to lol. We have twenty six tomato plants, and twenty four peppers of different varieties. My peppers this year have been the hottest of their respective varieties that I have ever had.

Like Jayhawker, my tomatoes are having trouble setting fruit due to the high temps. The plants are very healthy, but new fruit set is low. It should pick back up when we get a few days of consistent night time temps in the mid 70's.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    My garden is struggling with the heat as well. I kept it small this year with just 9 squash plants and a few tomato and jalapeno plants, two okra plants and a habanero plant. My garden's not even looking good enough to take a picture of right now.

Edit - Forgot, I have a couple cantaloupe and cucumber plants going as well. They aren't doing well. One cantaloupe growing right now.
    f5562ee0.jpg

b190a093.jpg

That's a Cowhorn pepper, the biggest I've ever seen.

Here are some pics from mid June.

100_0394.jpg

100_0395.jpg

100_0396.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0398.jpg

100_0399.jpg

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    Do you have deer problems in your garden bml? My wife wants to plant a large garden next year when we are in North Dakota and I suspect that will be a problem.
    Damn, I wish I had that much room for a garden! Very nice place....:drool2:
    Thanks! I'm gonna upload the pics from last week when I get time for a comparison. As far as deer are concerned, we have an abundance of them, and other wild life around, but we only seem to have an issue with rabbits. A little Sevin dust on the plants during the first few weeks will keep the rabbits at bay.

100_0440.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0413.jpg

The only problem I have had is with cauliflower. They grew like weeds, nice and full, but never even started to grow a head. I am pretty sure that I did not put them in early enough.