Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Don't know if this is political or not, but why aren't police "civilians?"

124»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    ......Anderson contacted a local lawyer, posted bail for the driver, sent him a bus ticket, AND LEFT THE TRUCK IN THE TOWN IMPOUND LOT! Got any idea what an 18-wheeler load of fish smells like in a few days in the Florida sun once the ice melts? That little town never messed with Anderson's trucks again!
    Oh man, that is sweet but stinky revenge.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that if LEOs would stop people, not to ticket them, but actively take an interest in getting to know the people in their area of patrol, things would go much smoother........
    Hmmm...I don't know about that. Pulling someone over just to chat would seem like a BIG inconvenience to me. However, if you were a foot cop and struck up a conversation with a pedestrian, I don't think that would be a big deal, unless they were in a hurry. That was a method that the department encouraged a foot cop to do in the case of businesses in his area of patrol. You go in a store and chat up the employee or boss and build a relationship with them. That was common when I first joined the department.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Poorly worded, get to know people, make friends etc......
    At least greet those in a hurry....... etc.....
    Once you get to know folks, they are not the enemy if they are a friend.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    ......I have never asked for free food or coffee anyway........ And it was offered many times...The no free food thing was one of the changes after the Knapp commission...
    When I was in training, it was strongly emphasized that when you get out on the street, you take NOTHING for free. If they offer it to you for free...you refuse and ask how much. If they insist on giving it for free, you put money on the counter in the amount you think it costs, and walk out...TAKE NO FREEBIES was department policy. That was a violation of the rules and regs.....something the IAU LOVED to investigate and prosecute, because it was so easy to get caught.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    It was tricky, lots of bars would not take My money when I tried to pay........
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    I am of the opinion that if LEOs would stop people, not to ticket them, but actively take an interest in getting to know the people in their area of patrol, things would go much smoother........ The ivory tower syndrome only promotes the Us vs Them mentality, shooting ranges are one of the best places for LEOs and others to meet on a common ground.

When LEOs start to realize they serve the Public, many problems will evaporate.
    If Cops pulled folks over to talk with them and converse,the Chiefs phone would be ringing off the hook.I can only imagine some cop putting on the blue lights and siren and saying to the driver,"What do you think about those Yankees."
    Don't be silly, I clarified that was not what I was trying to say, Cops should get to know people, plain and simple, OK ?????

Sometimes I get the distinct impression I am talking to five year olds......
    It was tricky, lots of bars would not take My money when I tried to pay........
    Bars? In uniform? On duty? Are you insane? That's worse than freebies...that's just asking for a hard-core, swift kick in the butt by IAU.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Off duty, street clothes, hanging out etc.......

Example, I am off duty and I stop at a Bar & Grill called Mario's, not driving, I can ride the subway home, so I get a few neat whiskys, no one knows Me I figure, when I go to pay My tab, the bartender tells Me it has been taken care of, by the gentleman at the table, a well known figure in some parts......
    Off duty, street clothes, hanging out etc.......Example, I am off duty and I stop at a Bar & Grill called Mario's, not driving, I can ride the subway home, so I get a few neat whiskys, no one knows Me I figure, when I go to pay My tab, the bartender tells Me it has been taken care of, by the gentleman at the table, a well known figure in some parts......
    I'm glad you clarified that. Under those circumstances, I doubt anyone could fault you for that. I started thinking that it had to be one of three things....Either you have the biggest beans in history, you're crazy, or you just don't give a poop.
    :silly: :tooth:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Don't be silly, I clarified that was not what I was trying to say, Cops should get to know people, plain and simple, OK ?????

Sometimes I get the distinct impression I am talking to five year olds......

So in other words you did not mean what you wrote?That's good because it seemed a little off the top.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Back in the day, don't know if is still the case cops walked a "beat" so they got to know folks, now they are mostly on patrol cars, not by choice, doing the "drive by" version of "to protect and serve", also if a good chunk of your work description is to deal day after day with the worst humanity puts out there a defensive jaded attitude is going to surface.

I am not saying that any of this is right, acceptable or making excuses, they are things that should be taken in consideration and ones that ought to be dealt with in some positive way instead of building walls.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    They is rules for them kind and rules for us kind.

Nothing like a 'Double Standard' huh? Does this mean that that Citizen Arrest is out dated?
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Buford wrote: »
    They is rules for them kind and rules for us kind.
    This is NOT entirely true. All police officers are required by law and department policy to obey all laws and ordinances, whether on or off duty, and ESPECIALLY off duty. The only exception is in an emergency, police vehicles are allowed to exceed the speed limit. The only thing that muddles this requirement is the inaction of other police officers, which by the way, would be prosecutable for failure to take action, but it happens every day. Comradery being what it is, it probably would be impossible to clean this up.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    pbearperry wrote: »
    So in other words you did not mean what you wrote?That's good because it seemed a little off the top.

I admitted My first post was poorly worded, Now you are being a richard head and nit picking for no good reason.

And I also clarified that Law Enforcement personnel should get to know people they are sworn to serve and protect.

Now GO POUND SAND, Thank you for playing, have a nice day....
    ......Now GO POUND SAND, Thank you for playing, have a nice day....
    What happened to your promise to play nice?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I admitted My first post was poorly worded, Now you are being a richard head and nit picking for no good reason.

And I also clarified that Law Enforcement personnel should get to know people they are sworn to serve and protect.

Now GO POUND SAND, Thank you for playing, have a nice day....

The sand has been pounded and I took my meds. :>)
    What happened to your promise to play nice?

I had a relapse.....
    I had a relapse.....
    Uh-huh...I'll have to use that one if it happens to me.
    "imoit:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: