Home Main Category Clubhouse

I had a really cool experience yesterday.

BillyDBillyD MemberPosts: 191 Member
Yesterday I got to go into the Kennecott copper mine to move a piece of conveyor. The scale of that place is more than I am able to put into words. It is the worlds largest pit mine at more than 3/4 of a mile deep and two and a half miles across. It is the largest excavation project in the history of the world. The dump trucks have tires that are 12 feet tall and can carry 255 tons of whatever you want to load them with. They have a trailer that they hook up to one of those monsters (with the bed removed) that can carry two D11 Cat bulldozers at the same time.(A Cat D11 is 230,581 lb and the blade is 22 feet wide.) The crusher is so big they use the crawler when they have to move it. The same machine they use to move the space shuttle. Everything in the pit is on such a scale as to make the rest of the world look like a toy model.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I bet from the top of the mine, the trucks looked like ants crawling out of a deep hole! Which brings up a question. Where do they put the mine tailings? That's a lot of real estate to store somewhere.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Saw that place on an episode of Monster Machines.......... Bet it was really impressive to see in person...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    I used to live just over the mountain from Kennecott...in Tooele...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I bet from the top of the mine, the trucks looked like ants crawling out of a deep hole! Which brings up a question. Where do they put the mine tailings? That's a lot of real estate to store somewhere.
    Yes they did look like ants. The tailings seem to go to the north and east as they dig south and west but that was just observation they could haul them somewhere else for all I know.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I used to live just over the mountain from Kennecott...in Tooele...
    I am sorry, no one deserves that.... but then again now you live in Kansas.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Saw that place on an episode of Monster Machines.......... Bet it was really impressive to see in person...
    Yes it was