Home Main Category General Firearms

"Green Boxes"

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
Please take time if you will and read my new article entitled "Green Boxes" here is the link, Thanks Mike :)http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/greenboxes

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good article, and I agree completely. I've used conventional-type bullets, Hornady, Sierra, and Speer, and in some instances Nosler, with great success. I don't have a favorite brand. I If a particular style or weight of bullet suits my purposes, I'll load up a few and head for the range. If I can work up a good-grouping load, I head for the woods. Deer and varmints are the only thing available around my area. Bear, hogs, Elk, Antelope, etc. are "one of these days" hunts. I think you've fired a few of my handloads- - - - -they get the job done!
    Jerry
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
    Excellent article and very well written. Funniest typo: "supper duper bullets ". I bet they are filling.

I agree with the premise of the article; what has worked in the past continues to work today even when the deer wear body armor and require a 300 WSM to put them down.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :worthy:Good article Beartracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well written!!!!!!! I liked the part where you talked about what works and worked from the past may not be better than the new fangled stuff, to paraphase... I know a lot of times I have went back to what worked for me before, and just quit using "new and improved", or" latest and greatest" When I lived in Colorado I knew a lot of hunters up there that did their own handloading, and they used the green box Sierras game king and would not use anything else!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Good article, and I agree completely. I've used conventional-type bullets, Hornady, Sierra, and Speer, and in some instances Nosler, with great success. I don't have a favorite brand. I If a particular style or weight of bullet suits my purposes, I'll load up a few and head for the range. If I can work up a good-grouping load, I head for the woods. Deer and varmints are the only thing available around my area. Bear, hogs, Elk, Antelope, etc. are "one of these days" hunts. I think you've fired a few of my handloads- - - - -they get the job done!
    Jerry

Got to agree Teach To Quote: "If a particular style or weight of bullet suits my purposes, I'll load up a few and hear for the range" Thats what I used to do when I did reload!!! And while we are on this subject, not to hijack this thread, but the point is what works for me works for me
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Good article Mike.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Excellent article and very well written. Funniest typo: "supper duper bullets ". I bet they are filling.

I agree with the premise of the article; what has worked in the past continues to work today even when the deer wear body armor and require a 300 WSM to put them down.

Pegasus thanks for catching that, will have it corrected.
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Yes, teach, the 257 Scooter with those Sierra bullets did shoot good indeed.
    Got to agree Teach To Quote: "If a particular style or weight of bullet suits my purposes, I'll load up a few and hear for the range" Thats what I used to do when I did reload!!! And while we are on this subject, not to hijack this thread, but the point is what works for me works for me

Yes, I agree
    farm boy wrote: »
    Good article Mike.

Thanks farm boy
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    I agree with you beartracker, except that I've never used Sierra bullets. My "Go to" bullets have always been Nosler Partitions and I feel the same way about them as you do about your Sierra's. It's to bad that some states come up with new laws based on emotion/opinion not facts (Green Bullets).
    By the way, good article! :beer:
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    Thanks, I like the partitions to as the toughest cup core bullet.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Mike, I guess the green boxes screwed me up. I didn't feel I could really improve on their results. I loaded my .270 Win. and my 6mm Remington almost exclusively with Sierra bullets. I also used 168 Grain Sierra Match Kings in my .308 Winchester and won many trophies with that load. I also had a load for it with a 150 Gr. Sierra flat based bullet, nowadays I think they call it the Pro Hunter. and it took quite a few deer and would group under 1 MOA. I first tried Sierras on the advice of the man and his wife that sold me 3 guns back in the late 70s and early 80s at their local sporting goods store and helped me get started reloading. They worked so well that everyone that shot with me in our gun club told me I had some magical loads there so I just didn't do a lot of experimenting with many other bullets. I did use Speer 52 grain HPs in my .223 and Speer 70 Semi Spitzer in it for hunting, but for nearly everything else, I mostly used Sierra. So the Green Boxes definitley had an effect on my shooting and hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I'll also have to say good article and well written. After reading it I actually had to go to my powder and bullet cabinet to see how many green boxes I had. I found that I have a sizable variety of bullets for almost every caliber that I load for except my .35 whelen. The only bullet I've ever shot through it is the 225gr game king and I was happy with them so I never tried anything else.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    That is the best thread you've written to date. Wasn't painful to read at all. Something that has plagued your previous ones to the point I wanted to vomit. This one was good. To the point with little overkill of words or dramatization. Well done, Sir. Keep it simple. :up:
    Thanks snake, Fisheadgib - You are an interesting man BP, and thanks for the well done.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    You are an interesting man BP, and thanks for the well done.

:tooth:
    Hey, you can always count on me to tell it to you straight. I don't surgar coat and will tell you exactly what I think. Tactfulness is a useless and counter productive measure in comunication. I will give you my opinion. Rough edges and all. If I like it or don't like it, I'll tell you and I'll tell you why as well. That is why I am good at testing gear. I don't BS.

You did good on this one. :beer:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    :tooth:
    Hey, you can always count on me to tell it to you straight. I don't surgar coat and will tell you exactly what I think. Tactfulness is a useless and counter productive measure in comunication. I will give you my opinion. Rough edges and all. If I like it or don't like it, I'll tell you and I'll tell you why as well. That is why I am good at testing gear. I don't BS.

You did good on this one. :beer:

I will admit that I have never had to guess where you were coming from and what you were thinking and I like to know where a man is coming from. It makes it easier for me to trust him. I agree, that is why my yes is yes and my no is no. Thanks again, glad you liked the article. :beer: