Wimped Out On Hog Hunting Today

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
My wife went to Sweeney Texas this morning with a friend whose mother just had surgery. I was going to wait til she got home and take her hog hunting. But when she got home at 5:30 PM she was too tired to go. I could have gone by myself, but I wimped out. It was nice outside too, because we had a nice little late Spring cool front come through last night. I have a meeting to go to tomorrow night so I guess I'll wait til Tuesday evening to go.

This time I'm going to take my Remington 700 SPS 30-06 with 200 grain Game Kings over 56 grains of IMR 4831. They only Chrony at about 2600 FPS, but at 25-50 yards what the heck? That will hit em like a bowling ball.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    At that range take the 586
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    "They only chrony at about 2600fps." That's a pretty hot load for a 200gr bullet out of a 30-06. I assume you're being sarcastic.

"Some people think hogs are elephants. You can kill a hog with a 17 caliber. Just shoot him in the ear. It's all about shot placement."
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

+ ONE:that:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Kill the pig! Kill the pig!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

Weatherby, that is definitely in the cards. But I'm going to put another couple hogs in the freezer first before I commence experimentation. But I can't wait to try the 586, and in fact I think I'll strap on my holster and take it as a back up anyway. And if I nail one and the others hang around for a few seconds as they are apt to do, I'll try nailing one with it. I might even try the 1911 45 if the 586 works. This is getting fun.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Kill the pig! Kill the pig!

Yes Craig, I will try. And Mike, I really am interested to see how the 586 will work. As long as my friend has hogs her dad wants killed I will try everything in my arsenal. I have people telling me that if I shoot some and don't need the meat they'll take them off my hands. Just drop it off at their house as shot. I can deal with that.

One thing about it, it's all good. I'm doing Ricky a favor helping him eliminate the hog problem (Of course saying that is like saying I'm going to lower the tide by bailing out the bay) and I'm filling my freezer and giving some friends some good meat too!!! Plus I'm having a ball doing it getting to blood all my guns. I may even try my 22 LR Model 10-22 Ruger.

BTW, I'm going to try it early tomorrow morning again.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You can kill a hog with a 17 caliber. Just shoot him in the ear.

Were is the fun in that?

Some people enjoy hunting hogs, not just dispatching them like a over sized rat.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Were is the fun in that?

Some people enjoy hunting hogs, not just dispatching them like a over sized rat.

I was quoting the OP from a previous thread.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • solo0569solo0569 New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Never take a gun to a knife fight ..lol I do take my Sig 40 for back up:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Were is the fun in that?

Justin, fishhead was only quoting me. I was just saying that it could be done. I don't have a 17 and if I did I wouldn't use it on hogs. I would and probably will use my .223 at some point along with my 22-250 just to blood them. I enjoy hunting them as much as anybody, but for now, I'm helping friends thin them out and filling my deep freeze. Then I'm going to get creative.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I agree with Slantster.......KILL THE PIG!!!!
    Hondo wrote: »
    I agree with Slantster.......KILL THE PIG!!!!

I'm working on it. I killed another one this morning. See my new thread under hunting.