Home Main Category Personal Defense

Question for Australians!

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
I've been in the BVI for a week and met a nice group of folks from down under, eventually the conversation
turned to guns in America & Australia ( actually I was very surprised they were allowed to have hand guns)
Anyway, when we got on the subject of home defense I was told that in Australia if you encounter an intruder
(BG) in your home before you can shoot the BG you must fire a warning shot into the ceiling to give him a chance
to leave. My first reaction (Guess) who's gonna know which shot was fired first?
Anybody from down under that can shed some light on this.BTW, glad to here you guy's got your gun rights
back, last I herd all hand guns were confiscated, guess I haven't been keeping up.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Why mess up a perfectly good ceiling? That "first" shot would have to be a blank, maybe right after the live round in the chamber went to center mass!
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    You fire a warning shot into the ceiling. Then you have to yell out at the top of your voice " THAT WAS A WARNING SHOT, DONT COME ANY CLOSER!!!". You then shoot the intruder, run and get a shovel and broom and sweep all the plaster board off his prone body..................otherwise the investigators will be able to tell the order in which the shots were fired.

Dont know about OZ but in NZ you can own handguns but the requirements are extremely rigid. You must belong to a pistol club, attend at least 6 times a year, have to comply strictly with the security requirements etc etc. You can only take the handguns from the house by the most direct route to the club and back home again. Stopping for petrol or at a Mac 'D's drive through etc breaches the 'most direct route'. You are not allowed to carry for SD or hunt with them.

If you have a collectors licence you can also own handguns but are not permitted to shoot them under any circumstances.

The only exemption applies to those with a criminal intent. They dont have to comply with any conditions and can shoot whenever and whoever they like....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    We've got the Tennessee version of a "pistol club"- - - - - -"Drink 'til midnight- - - - -pistol daylight!"
    :beer::beer::beer:
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Comprehensive Urology

By Arnold Drinkwater M.d. P.h.d.
    Cristopher Passwater M.d.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996