Kiwi version of Monty Pythons 'Dead Parrot' sketch.....

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,702 Senior Member
Went back to the same property we were at yesterday......Heres the video.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/orchidman_album/pond%20shooting/?action=view&current=FILE0003.mp4

These parrots (Galah's) were introduced from Australia by people who bought them as cage pets then let them go when they started breeding. There are a few flocks of them around the region I live in. Up until today I had never been able to get close enough or in a position where I could get a shot at them.

We saw a small flock yesterday but although I took a couple of shots through some trees I didnt score. Today, while in our home made Layout blinds the same flock flew directly over BH and I. We managed to drop one each. They look deceptively slow when flying and I badly underestimated their flight behaviour. At the first shot they lit up the afterburners and commenced aerobatic manouvers.........

They are classed as a pest and can be shot on sight. They are particularly destructive to freshly planted crops, and when established, will form flocks numbering in the hundreds. The largest flock I have seen was when I was in Australia shooting their National Skeet Champs. In the fields next to the gun club they had just planted a crop of pea's. The whole paddock was a sea of white, until the first comp started then the whole paddock got up and flew in circles. One of the locals estimated the flock to number about 2500-3000 birds. Hence our 'shoot on sight' policy.

Dont intend to eat the Galah but a local Maori lady who makes traditional feather cloaks has been after some pure white feathers and is calling in tomorrow to pick up the bird and pluck it.

Please excuse the laughter in the video, as soon as I started the camera rolling I immediately thought of the 'Dead Parrot ' sketch.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Well I hope they don't get as plentiful as they are in Australia. That is a beautiful bird though. Good shooting.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    You need to stuff that parrot and then try and sell it:jester:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    And to think they are a CITES apendix II species. Here in the states one will run you right at 2K for a pet

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    And to think they are a CITES apendix II species. Here in the states one will run you right at 2K for a pet

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yup. Last time I saw a "crested cackatoo" for sale I almost choked at the sticker price. It's almost hilarious irony to see that they are considered invasive in other places and fetch that kind of premium here in the states.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Soooooooooo.......how many do ya want?
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

When I get my breeder/importer license, I'll take about 30 of them. They must be alive, however, as the talking novelty is lost with a dead one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

First if all, are they good to eat???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    When I get my breeder/importer license, I'll take about 30 of them. They must be alive, however, as the talking novelty is lost with a dead one.

Yeah, and they start to stink after a couple of days.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    First if all, are they good to eat???

Taste like chicken..........and if you cook them rare they talk back........
    Well, that settles it. Iffin it tastes like chicken I reckon I'll just go to Church's Fried Chicken. Feed the parot to the cats.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    That's a beautiful bird, Alec. It's amazing to think that they are so highly prized in some areas, and pests in others.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CpleusCpleus New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    nothing else needs
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Birds! Dirty , filthy , disgusting , lice-ridded birds!

Do ya got bleeding hearts with no life protesting like we get over shooting pigeons?
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Birds! Dirty , filthy , disgusting , lice-ridded birds!

Do ya got bleeding hearts with no life protesting like we get over shooting pigeons?

Funny you should mention that.......

Our Duck hunting season started 3 weeks ago. The local paper ( as it does every year about this time) had an article and pics about the local bird rescue lady showing some of the wounded ducks she was caring for. It also contained a plea for help in dealing with said birds.

Before the days of caller ID etc it was not uncommon for her to receive a number of phone calls of help from duck hunters offering to 'look' after said wounded birds............:rotflmao:..
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    Does anyone send her recipies?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Does anyone send her recipies?
    Jerry

:roll2: Must remember that.

I know the lady as I have had to deal with her as part of my ranging duties. Told her a few years back that I love ducks.... especially in a good gravy or stir fried.

We dont get on so good now.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    Pretty white and yellow feathers for tying fishing flies. Big enough for some good eating; just add some mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits and butter. What's not to like? :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.