Prediction from the 50s and 60s that didn't come true

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 25,786 Senior Member
Back in the 50s and 60s there were lots of new ideas put forth that would be the wave of the future. One was the flying car and the personal helicopter. You'd pull out of the driveway or get in you helicopter in the front yard and take off for the office/factory/whatever. This was brought to mind as I was looking through a Popular Mechanics magazine, and a short news piece on Fox News this week. Being my mind is as warped as an overheated piece of sheet metal, I got to thinking about this.

Consider for a moment the morning and evening rush hour gridlock in every major U.S. city today. Now picture this: MILLIONS of personal helicopters and flying cars taking to the air at the same time. YEEHAW!!!!!! The carnage would be epic!!!! Thousands of midair collisions daily, and more deaths on the ground from the torrential rain of flaming debris! The population of the U.S. would be barely half of what it is now. "Duck and cover" would have taken on an entirely new meaning in this brave new world, and we'd all have kinks in our necks from looking up for falling flaming flying fritters.

As a side benefit, the U.S. would have the foremost helicopter and fixed wing aircraft pilots in the WORLD! Anybody that could survive the carnage in the air would be invincible.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing of the forums.:tooth:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Ya mean we're not likely to become an episode of "The Jetsons" in the forseeable future? Bummer!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member

We have had and have the best air crews.
    Just a picture of some of the invincible, esp that guy second from the left.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,786 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    We have had and have the best air crews.
    Just a picture of some of the invincible, esp that guy second from the left.

You betcha. Those guys are well honed pointy ends of the spear.:iwo:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,057 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Back in the 50s and 60s there were lots of new ideas put forth that would be the wave of the future. One was the flying car and the personal helicopter.
    Want a flying car? Meet the Terrafugia....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Want a flying car? Meet the Terrafugia....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w
    Could you imagine someone owning one of the first one of those, and running from the cops? I can hear the radio traffic now, "Unit 4 to dispatch, the suspect vehicle transformed into an airplane and flew away." Then the reply a few minutes later, "Dispatch to unit 4, report to the emergency room at General Hospital to meet with the shift commander" :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Consider for a moment the morning and evening rush hour gridlock in every major U.S. city today. Now picture this: MILLIONS of personal helicopters and flying cars taking to the air at the same time. YEEHAW!!!!!! The carnage would be epic!!!! Thousands of midair collisions daily, and more deaths on the ground from the torrential rain of flaming debris! The population of the U.S. would be barely half of what it is now.

Sounds good! Bring on the flying cars!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Thats a handsome dude. Even has hair. Who the hell is that?

Den, DEN, DENNNNNN.!!!!

( matches your sig line)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Can't say much about the 1950's Tennmike, but during my middle school days of the mid-60's heres some things that I remember a teacher telling the class we might have in the future:

We will be living on the moon, push a button in your house, the whole house gets clean. Every disease is cured by 2000, Flying platforms,( I am still waiting for mine) hahah:rotflmao: In 1966 I remember a teacher of mine saying this "Everything that has been invented is invented" I also remember one teacher (a math teacher) stating that the "Slide Ruler" would never disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( If she only could see things now). I do remember reading about when Igor Sikorky developed a practical helicopter, and the news reports said something like "yes folks, its the helicopter, soon every family will own one." The helicopter will replace our cars, as the primary mode of transportation... I have seen one flying car during my aviation caarer. About the size of a volkswagon fold out wings and tail section. It was called the Aerocar, owned an operated by Ed and Sandra Sweeny, out of Florida, back in 1987-1988 or. I don't know if they still have it.
    "It is what it is":usa: