Home Main Category General Firearms

.22 LR CB's & Subsonic ammo - How do you choose ?

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
Aside from the lower noise factor, how do you decide when to switch from regular power .22 LR to CB's or Subsonic ammo ?
Uses ?
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    I would estimate that 95+% of my 22LR ammo use is subsonics. In actual fact, apart from buying 2 packets of velocitors in the last 12 months, I havent bought any high velocity 22 in the last 5-6 years.

Subsonics do everything I want to do, from possums and rabbits and other pests to just general plinking. I have even used them on goats to good effect. (All my .22's are sighted in with subs)

Oh........did I mention all of my .22 rifles have suppressors/silencers fitted.......so I cant see the point in using high velocity rounds which kinda nullifies the whole purpose of using suppressors...
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Subsonics do everything I want to do, from possums and rabbits and other pests to just general plinking. I have even used them on goats to good effect. (All my .22's are sighted in with subs)

Oh........did I mention all of my .22 rifles have suppressors/silencers fitted.......so I cant see the point in using high velocity rounds which kinda nullifies the whole purpose of using suppressors...

:yousuck:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I used to use CB shorts in my SA for squirrels in a .....errr residential area, but found their accuracy to be lacking in nature. They were super quiet and effective when shots went where planned, but the best bet was subs in LR chambering with 36 to 40 grain bullets. Other than that, at the range my Savage seems to like the High Velocity CCI Mini Mags which will literally put every bullet through the same hole at 50 yards. Just depends on the rifle, setting and distance being shot. I tried subs and CB's at the range and found that they just dont seem to give the accuracy that the high velocities do at 50 to 100 yards which I know goes against standard logic, but thats what works for me, so Im sticking to it.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I knew the difference between CB caps and Subsonic rounds, I was trying to get more practical information as I plan to start using .22 LR again, at least with My Ruger MK ll for now...
    I tried a few rounds of subsonic and was pleased with the lower report.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    One other thing with subs.............When doing pest destruction at night with a barrel mounted spotlight, its common to see the bullet in flight. ( It only happens when using a barrel mounted spot, as the light seems to reflect back from the base of the bullet which shows as a bright pinpoint of light streaking to the target.......havent ever seen one in flight with a head mounted spot)

A few years back I headshot a rabbit at about 120yds, was holding about 4-5" above its head.......Both myself and the guy with me watched the bullet in flight through our scopes, (I beat him to the trigger lol) We were both amazed at how much of an arc the bullet took before dropping Brer Rabbit. Have used the visual on occasions to 'walk fire' onto a target!!!

While we are talking about subsonics...I always use Winchester subs for everything. When I bought the Ruger 10/22 a few weeks back, the LGS gave me 100 CCI subs, and told me they work perfectly in Rugers.

When I was sighting it in I used Winchester subs, then switched over to the CCI's and about every 15-20 rounds, one would 'beat' the suppressor and make a loud crack. ( The loudest sound in the 10/22 with Winchester's is the sound of the bolt cycling). Whenever a CCI gave a 'crack', the bullet would be 2" high and 2" left.
    Methinks that CCI's quality control isnt as good as Winchesters, although I may be wrong.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Sounds like poor QC
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I have used CB shorts for pests and it is quieter in a pistol than in a revolver---really quiet in a bolt action rifle and enough pwr with proper shot placement on bigger vermin. Of course as stated above, the pistol is used as a manual single shot.
    I have hunted squirrels with them in the big woods
    if you miss, the squirrel doesn't recognize it as a threat and you get another chance or two.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Never thought about it before,,, I just pick what ever .22's I am in the mood for at the time of purchase.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Using short CB caps will require the chamber be cleaned occasionally, because of the buildup from the shorter case will block a LR from loading.

A CB cap also won't work the action on most semis. The Long CBs have the same powder amount, but will function thru bolt guns that won't take a short.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.