Assault rifle left unattended. Seattle WA

wolf049wolf049 MemberPosts: 217 Member
Just as the thread title say's. That LEO has a lot of :fan: in his and hers' faces.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Assault-rifle-left-unattended-on-back-of-Seattle-Police-car-124666029.html
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Henry Lee

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    WOW! That cop needs to lose his job.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The LEO LT goes in to Starbucks ... guess there was no Dunkin' Donut or Krispy Kreme around?

Seriously how in the heck don't you see a black rifle on the trunk? Bet she would not have left her half caf no fat latte on it.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    calebib wrote: »

I don't know about losing their jobs but for sure some time off without pay or a drop in rank.
    Which is worse, leaving the weapon on the car or get into a car and not noticing a weapon on the truck?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    The LEO LT goes in to Starbucks ... guess there was no Dunkin' Donut or Krispy Kreme around?

Seriously how in the heck don't you see a black rifle on the trunk? Bet she would not have left her half caf no fat latte on it.

Actually, I have seen that happen a time or two.
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :nono::nono::nono::nono::fan: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPS Not good, leaving a rifle unattended...
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    Does Washington State have one of those asinine "Safe Storage" laws that makes it a crime to leave a gun where anyone under 18 would have access to it?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,346 Senior Member
    Back when I ran the auto shop at a state trade school, the local police chief asked us to swap a rear axle out on one of their patrol cars. He sent the disabled car to my shop, along with a "parts car" that had been out of service for several months with a blown-up engine. My students set both cars up on adjoining hydraulic lifts, and swapped rear ends. During the job, one kid opened the trunk of the junker and discovered a rusty Remington 870 riot gun, still loaded, in spring clips on the underside of the trunk lid. I had to use a screwdriver to pry the rounds out of the magazine, it was that cruddy! When I walked into the police chief's office with the trashed shotgun, he was shocked- - - - -they had been looking for it for almost a year!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    WOW!!! Really make you wonder :roll:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,739 Senior Member
    WOW.... just WOW :yikes:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,739 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    Which one? The cop they're saying laid his rifle on the trunk of another car, or the female Lt who drove off with it there?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Sometimes honest mistakes are more tragic than others.

Now if I were riding around Seattle with a black rifle on the trunk of my car, I wonder how many cops would swarm like flies to the scene guns drawn, confincating my weapon....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Which one? The cop they're saying laid his rifle on the trunk of another car, or the female Lt who drove off with it there?

Take your pick.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Does Washington State have one of those asinine "Safe Storage" laws that makes it a crime to leave a gun where anyone under 18 would have access to it?

That's a good question, I'm not 100% sure. That raises some serouis issues, doesn't it?!
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Seattle's finest. Truly.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    We used to have "Administrative Penalty's" for various departmental offenses in the P.D. I was with. Something like that, uncomplicated by theft of the weapon from the police car, would probably have been worth 5 days pay to the responsible officer. Loss of the weapon would probably result in suspension from the force.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    There is a belief among citizens that LE are also gun people because of their job, not so. In my area, more often than not, the LEO
    s carry guns because it is part of the job requirement, but outside of that, nothing else beyond quals matters. You need a baton, a patrolman told me three have been left in the same cruiser by different LEO's over the past few weeks. I can see how it could be easy for a LEO to leave it on the trunk. Very few do a thorough check of their gear before, during ,and after a shift. I can speak for only myself when I say, I want to know that it is right where I put it, right when I need it.

I'm glad this one ended without incident. Could have been way worse.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Everybody is missing the point. It was actually a BATFE operation to see if someone would grab the gun and walk off. They could then follow the gun...:uhm:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Everybody is missing the point. It was actually a BATFE operation to see if someone would grab the gun and walk off. They could then follow the gun...:uhm:

Hahahah...that's EXACTLY was my first thought...Operation Fast & Furious II.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    Hahahah...that's EXACTLY was my first thought...Operation Fast & Furious II.

Seattle Drift
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov