Goofy hallucinations while ill with a fever?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
So these past few days I've come down with a nasty chest cold and fever, worse last night & today, headed to the doc tomorrow. Meantime I'm nursing best I can, tylenol and oj and rest.

But I know I'm running a low fever because while I lie back in the recliner and partially watch the Nascar Brickyard 400, I begin to imagine all sorts of special tactics the teams are using, like:
  1. Carefully changing the shape of their cars to improve aerodynmics during the race, the drver pushing a button to make the car longer or shorter.
  2. They are also subtly changing the paint schemes electronically during the race to fool the other drivers.
None of the commentators has mentioned this new tactic thus far.
  1. The sponsors also seem to have a new tactic, because during a commercial that features a particular driver, right afterward that driver is given one or two helpful lead changes.
Amazing what the slightly unbalanced mind can come up with, eh? Y'all, when sick, ever remember concocting similar goofy stuff?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    I would suggest that if your fever is high enough to cause hallucinations, Tylenol is not going to cut it and you should perhaps seek medical advice sooner rather than later.
    A good percentage of the pt's I care for ended up hospitalized under similar situations as yours. What you are diagnosing as a chest cold could well be pneumonia.
    Take care of yourself Sam.

Sako
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    I would suggest that if your fever is high enough to cause hallucinations, Tylenol is not going to cut it and you should perhaps seek medical advice sooner rather than later.
    A good percentage of the pt's I care for ended up hospitalized under similar situations as yours. What you are diagnosing as a chest cold could well be pneumonia.
    Take care of yourself Sam.

Sako
    :that:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I remember having been ill and the combination of illness, medication / made for some vivid hallucinations..
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've come up with some pretty vivid hallucinations at times, but they were usually associated with reactions to anaesthetics, either while going under, or coming back. Is it possible that your breathing difficulties are severe enough to induce hypoxia? I've seen a few guys get totally disoriented during the altitude chamber part of a flight physical, when they had us remove our masks and try to perform various tasks in the couple of minutes before the lack of oxygen got the better of us. If there's nobody else there to watch your back, maybe you need to call a friend in just to be on the safe side.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    After thinking about this, Sam, don't know your having a low fever; take your temp.; it maybe higher than you know.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    This is why I love this forum and the members here! I post what was meant to be a funny comment on things that go on in your mind from a mild fever, and you guys take it seriously and send me "care baskets" of good advice and concern.

It was all heartfelt and meant well, for sure. But it was just misplaced. As I said I've been fighting some rumbly chest congestion and light fever for a few days, trying to deal with it as we all do, tylenol, OJ, over the counter decongestants. This time it weakened but didn't go away, and so I made a Doc appt late Friday for Monday AM 8/1 so they can zap me with antibiotics and prescription decongestants. And in fact I began to feel lots better tonight, the fever's gone, congestion less. Still I'll go to the Doc tomorrow anyway -- can't take chances at our age.

But what I was describing is those sort of half-dream semi-hallucinations we get when we have a low fever and are dozing. And with the Brickyard race on, it gave me those silly fantasy things about the cars, actually more entertaining while dozing than watching the race itself while awake. By the time the race wound down, I was feeling better and the "dream time" had passed.

The "hallucinations" only lasted a few minutes but I was so amused with them that I wanted to share them. And believe me, that my good friends here took me rather more seriously than necessary was perfectly okay. Shows the concern we have for each other here, the genuine friendship.

Thanks, really. And I'll report back maybe Tues on the result of the doctor visit.

Btw, the "electronic car camouflage" reminded me a bit of the "scramble suits" the drug agents wore in the movie A Scanner Darkly.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    What you describe used to be referred to in yee olde medical terminolgy as "vapors"....

I am sure you did not get to be the ripe old age you are at now by being ig-ner-rant.... :zzzz: heavy on the rant....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    "imoit: WELL THEN, we should have a truck rant
    I'll start; Clean used the truck to go to the store to buy a package of dental floss.
    /
    /
    ain't like you never did not understand wry hummer in one of your literal moods!!!!!