Which 7mm-08?

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
Greetings boys and girls. I have a question for all of you 7mm-08 shooters. Which one to buy? I just sold my CMMG AR10 and I need to replace this gun. I have kinda lost interest right now in the AR world and more interested in the bolt action hunting rifles. My question is, if you had say $1500 to spend on a good quality rifle, which one would you buy? This gun must be under 8lbs, accurate, and look nice. I presently own a Kimber 84M in .243, Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308, Weatherby Mark V in 257 wby mag. I have nothing in the 284 caliber. I do like the 7mm-08 cartridge. It will do everything that I need to do. So, would it be another Kimber Classic Select, Browning X-bolt, Winchester, etc?????

Thanks in advance

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Yikes....I don't currently own one, but I would be looking hard at one of those 3 choices myself! Is that 1500$ rifle, or 1500$ rifle/base/rings/scope? Although...I'd also venture into getting another Vanguard S1, putting it on a B&C Medalist stock, bedding it, DNZ 1pc scope mount.....that right there is about 700$ from recent personal experience. That leaves a lot of scope money left over! OR....I'd also strongly consider a Win 70 Featherweight, again with DNZ mount. That still ends up leaving about 5-600 for a scope. Just MHO, but if I was putting together the whole package like that, and I had 500-800 left for a scope I'd be getting another Zeiss Conquest.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,504 Senior Member
    Do you want wood and blue or stainless??? Hunting only I assume since it is in the hunting section.....

If I weren't left-handed, My think my first choice would be a Ruger Hawkeye Compact......

17107.jpg

37137.jpg

I've always had a thing for a Model 70 Featherweight though.......

winchester-model-70-featherweight-compact.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    A picture is worth a thousand words................

TAKH2010065.jpg

2ndcullwoodhill2011017.jpg

2ndcullwoodhill2011023.jpg

takhorangejammyspigdeer007.jpg

takhorangejammyspigdeer018.jpg

Tikka T3 lite in 7mm08 topped with a VX3L 3.5-10X50.

Weighs 6lb 3oz without scope and rings. Factory Remington 140gr ammo gave me 3/4" groups at 100yds..............Reloads gave me slightly smaller groups at twice the distance.

It may not compare kindly with a wood/blued Mod 70 or Kimber classic in the looks dept but she sure can shoot.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I wouldn't ignore the A-Bolt, my 7mmRM 26" barrel w/ a 2.5X8 VX-III is an ounce, maybe two over 8#...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?item=035012216&cid=035&tid=012

...or Tikka T3 Lite (.300WSM/ VX-3 4.5X14 @ 7.1#), you don't have to spend a lot to get a very accurate rifle these days...

...a Winchester FWT, Kimber Montana, Sako A7 will all get you around 7-7.5# scoped w/ say, a 3.5X10 VX-3...

...I like fine wood as much as anyone, but when a synthetic stock gets scratched up you don't worry about it...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    Great cartridge.
    From what you mentioned, Kimber.
    I like the Tikka's as well.
    Remmy' too of course
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,265 Senior Member
    I like Tikkas, for sure, but my Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 is an excellent shooting rifle for a very good price. I killed everything in Africa on my 2010 safari with it, up to and including critters in the 600lb class. At 100 yards, 5-shot groups were in the .66" range last time I played with it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,265 Senior Member
    Considering how the 7x57 mauser did in Africa and it being the ballistic twin of the 7mm-08, I am not surprised that you had the success that you did in Africa with your 7mm-08. Thanks for sharing that info.

No problem. I think that in the modern day, the 7mm-08 are 7x57 underrated cartridges. They have plenty of killing power if kept to reasonable ranges. I took mine out to nearly 400 yards on a 500+lb. Gembok. Granted, that was certainly pushing it and I put more than one shot into him for good measure, but it did the job.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    WORLD T wrote: »
    Greetings boys and girls. I have a question for all of you 7mm-08 shooters. Which one to buy? I just sold my CMMG AR10 and I need to replace this gun. I have kinda lost interest right now in the AR world and more interested in the bolt action hunting rifles. My question is, if you had say $1500 to spend on a good quality rifle, which one would you buy? This gun must be under 8lbs, accurate, and look nice. I presently own a Kimber 84M in .243, Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308, Weatherby Mark V in 257 wby mag. I have nothing in the 284 caliber. I do like the 7mm-08 cartridge. It will do everything that I need to do. So, would it be another Kimber Classic Select, Browning X-bolt, Winchester, etc?????

Thanks in advance

OK, so ya want a .270 Wanna be?

LOL!!! Just joking, I couldn't resist. To me, a 7-08 v. 280 Rem. is the same argument as the .308 v. 30-06. In that case I'm old fashion. I would go for the 06. However, I'm the guy that doesn't own a .25-06 but has a custom .250 Savage and a .257 Bob AI. The 25-06 will out perform either one, not by a whole lot and then mostly with the heavier bullets, but it will do it. So all this proves is that some of us make decisions with our heart instead of our heads. But that's human nature..

However, having said all that, I don't think you can beat a good Savage Model 10 or Remington 700 in 7-08. Even a beautiful Remington Model 7 in 7-08 would be nice. It would double as a great mountain rifle too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,078 Senior Member
    Just curious, but I've not seen anyone advocate a Remington Model 7. Any reason? I would think that this is a classic pairing of cartridge and rifle.
    Overkill is underrated.
    You are so right Mike.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Just curious, but I've not seen anyone advocate a Remington Model 7. Any reason? I would think that this is a classic pairing of cartridge and rifle.

:that: Yeah! Read my post above.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    I have a kimber montana 30-06, A Sako 30-06 and a Browning A-Bolt in 300WSM (all synthetic stocked) and there is no way even with the light Leupold scopes I have on them that they will weigh less than 8 pounds at best, more like 8.5 in most cases is about as good as it gets depending on scope/mounts/rings.

You can get the Winchester Feather Weight to weigh just under 8 pounds with the right rings/mounts/ and scope setup.

Tikka T3 6.3#
    Browning A-Bolt 6.3#
    Kimber Montana 5.4#
    Winchester FWT 6.7#

Leupold VX-3 3.5X10x40 12.6oz.
    Leupold VX-3 4.5X14X40 14.7oz.

...if your rings & mounts weigh almost a pound, switch to Talleys, Leupolds or Warnes...

...Remingtons are getting to be a crap shoot, quality wise, & I won't have a hunting rifle where the bolt doesn't lock down, personal preference. The new lightweight Savage ain't a bargain, & let's face it, Savages are like the ugly chick in high school who got dates because she was cheap & put out. Savages aren't that inexpensive anymore...
    One choice I failed to list. If I was going to spend over $1,000 I would get me another Yugo action and rebarrel it to 7-08 and put it in a Boyd's stock and mount either a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 or a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on it. Work required for this, other than the rebarreling would be bending the bolt, drilling and tapping the receiver for mounts, installing a Timney Trigger and Beuler safety on it and a new firing pin spring to quicken the lock time. This makes a really sweet handling rifle.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=wildgene;115127

...I like fine wood as much as anyone, but when a synthetic stock gets scratched up you don't worry about it...[/QUOTE]

Which is why I went for the synthetic stock on the Tikka. Its a working rifle and used for both hunting and pest destruction as part of my Wildlife Ranger duties.
    Plus the weight means I can carry it all day and not feel like my arms grew longer.....

( It will weigh a bit more when I get the titanium suppressor fitted but will still be lighter than a wood/blued rifle)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    The new lightweight Savage ain't a bargain, & let's face it, Savages are like the ugly chick in high school who got dates because she was cheap & put out. Savages aren't that inexpensive anymore...

HA! Reminds me of my favorite line from That 70's Show

Big Rhonda "I may not be popular, but given the chance I'll put out something fierce"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.