Home Main Category Hunting

dog hunt!

BenBen New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
Not sure about it so sorry in advance if posting in wrong section. Actually, I'm bit curious about
hunt with dogs. The teeth contain a number of bacteria and when dog attack on stag, bacteria
get transferred to the stag's flesh. Isn't wrong to eat such meat??

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,622 Senior Member
    The dog hunts I have heard of use the dogs to track, then drive the deer toward a stationary hunter. Dog should never get within teeth/ antler/ hoof range.

I have never participated in one of those hunts (Illegal in TX), but have had people in Arkansas tell me that. So I could be completely wrong.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    In FL, dog hunting for deer is legal. Bullsi's right in his description. Further, it's considered poor form to shoot a deer that the dogs are within view of the dogs, as some of the dogs used to drive deer are actually gun-shy and shooting deer in front of them could diminish their prey drive.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    Ben...a dogs mouth is a heck of a lot cleaner than the average humans....That being said, I have had some hard mouthed bird dogs that would get their teeth into a bird they retrieved...didn't give eating them another thought

I take it that you are not from the US as there is no
    stag" hunting here...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    A dog that gets close enough to bite, usually ends up not being a hunting dog for long. Deer can fend for themselves surprisingly well.

As for the bacteria? Want me to tell you about all of it that is already there to begin with?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    One other thing: as long as one properly cooks game meat, any bacteria that might be introduced by biting will be killed.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    A dog that gets close enough to bite, usually ends up not being a hunting dog for long. Deer can fend for themselves surprisingly well.

As for the bacteria? Want me to tell you about all of it that is already there to begin with?

I was going to say that a deer -dog confrontation may end up bad for the dog as long as it's one on one or even two on one. Coyotes and wolves attack in packs and have the deer out numbered. But when the deer has a fighting chance it is a formidable opponent.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,953 Senior Member
    Most of the hunting dogs around here don't try and eat the deer, if so, one guy with a stick could
    keep them from it.

Welcome aboard.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    That's true NN and I failed to mention that in my post above. A good hunting dog isn't going to attack a live deer. If he is well trained and knows his duty, he will only locate and follow the deer. A pack of hunting dogs will and should surround the deer an keep him at bay but not attack it. Hog dogs are a different breed. They're usually pitt bulls and their role in the hunt is different.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.