First time carrying, I have some questions.

bfunkbfunk MemberPosts: 113 Member
So I carried my pistol with me this weekend hiking and camping in the woods, a first for me I guess. I carried my XDm in the stock in the box holster it came with. I've used this holster in several IDPA events up to now and thought i was kinda comfortable, but after two days with it on my hip, I have realized it totally sucks, especially for hiking. It needs to be replaces for something comfortable, OWB, preferably leather or nylon, not stiff plastic. Any suggestions? This is not a holster for concealment, just for comfortable and secure carry.

Another thing. The wifey is OK with me packing a loaded gun on the trail and in camp, but she's not too keen with it being loaded in the car or the tent, and really, neither am I. Am I going to run into problems with the repeated chambering of the the top round in the mag? I don't drop the slide on it hard, instead I release the slide while I am holding it and ease it forward. I've heard that the repeated slamming of the same round into the chamber can knock the bullet back into the case causing problems. Is this something I need to avoid or am I being over cautious? At least once a week all the +P JHP's that I carry will be unloaded from the mags so I can shoot other ammo at the range.

Brian
Bigslug wrote: »
There is no shame in opting for The Hammer of Bob.

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    bfunk wrote: »
    It needs to be replaces for something comfortable, OWB, preferably leather or nylon, not stiff plastic. Any suggestions? This is not a holster for concealment, just for comfortable and secure carry.
    Negative on the NYLON ... stick with leather if you don't like kydex.
    The wifey is OK with me packing a loaded gun on the trail and in camp, but she's not too keen with it being loaded in the car or the tent, and really, neither am I.
    An UNLOAD gun is just a poor club ...
    Am I going to run into problems with the repeated chambering of the the top round in the mag? I don't drop the slide on it hard, instead I release the slide while I am holding it and ease it forward.
    Yes it can shorten the COL and INCREASE pressure ... not good. Watch it closely and rotate the rounds through the mag. Also SD/HD ammo maybe more expensive but every so often run the mag you carry out at the range and freshen it up with new rounds. It allows you to keep up with what the +P does and freshens up your defense. Now don't ease the slide forward as you described ... it is probably OK but the weapon is designed to place that round into battery with that force. If you baby it in there is a variance that may effect performance.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bfunkbfunk Member Posts: 113 Member
    I agree that an unloaded gun is of no use, but I don't have a permit for concealed carry, so in the car its unloaded and put away. I'll just be sure not to load and unload the same round very often, and rotate through them. Besides its a good excuse to go and shoot some fun SD rounds once in a while that are generally too expensive to shoot off more of.

I'll look into some sort of OWB leather holster or leather/kydex combo. I don't mind the parts surrounding the gun being kydex, just not the part that attaches to my pants, there was some rubbing of sorts.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    I have realized it totally sucks, especially for hiking. It needs to be replaces for something comfortable, OWB, preferably leather or nylon, not stiff plastic. Any suggestions? This is not a holster for concealment, just for comfortable and secure carry.
    Brian

You will find that nylon holsters are even worse that the holster that came with your XD...no support, they just flop around on your belt...
    However, I suspect that your problem is multi-faceted ...You need a decent gun belt no matter what type of holster you have. There are plenty of kydex holsters that are very comfortable COMPTAC makes a great holster......but if you're looking for leather, look at Galco, DeSantis, Ross Leather Company......and be prepared to pay for a decent holster...they don't come cheap...

So I carried my pistol with me this weekend hiking and camping in the woods, a first for me I guess. I carried my XDm in the stock in the box holster it came with. I've used this holster in several IDPA events up to now and thought i was kinda comfortable, but after two days with it on my hip, I have realized it totally sucks, especially for hiking. It needs to be replaces for something comfortable, OWB, preferably leather or nylon, not stiff plastic. Any suggestions? This is not a holster for concealment, just for comfortable and secure carry.

Another thing. The wifey is OK with me packing a loaded gun on the trail and in camp, but she's not too keen with it being loaded in the car or the tent, and really, neither am I.

Why...what's your wife's issue with keeping a loaded gun in the car or the tent? What YOUR problem with it. Be Honest.
    Am I going to run into problems with the repeated chambering of the the top round in the mag? I don't drop the slide on it hard, instead I release the slide while I am holding it and ease it forward. I've heard that the repeated slamming of the same round into the chamber can knock the bullet back into the case causing problems. Is this something I need to avoid or am I being over cautious? At least once a week all the +P JHP's that I carry will be unloaded from the mags so I can shoot other ammo at the range.

Brian

You see problems from repeatedly chambering the same round. Cure for that is to load the damn thing and leave it alone...OR...if you just HAVE to do this rotate the ammo in the magazine...

"Riding the slide" is not a good idea...you're begging for a malfunction....Insert your magazine, pull back on the slide and let the thing go...

I understand the caution you're exhibiting, it's very common with folks carrying for the first time. You'll get more comfortable with it, but quit tiptoeing around the issue, you are either going to go armed or you're not...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Easing the slide will eventually result in the slide not going into battery. Let it drop. Shoot the ammo enough to avoid any multiple round loading problems.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    The same thing that keeps the gun from going off all by itself in your holster will keep it safe in the car or the tent- - - - -YOUR FINGER IS OFF THE COTTON-PICKIN' TRIGGER! Guns are inanimate objects. They don't react to different circumstances by getting all emotional and shooting somebody for no reason.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Words of Wisdom.
    Hoplophobia the unreasoning fear of weapons.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I have never stated a fear of a weapon. I was asking about holsters.

In my state, it is legal to carry however you want on public lands, however on cities and towns, as well as in vehicles, you cannot have a concealed weapon without a permit. I have no fear of my gun.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Glad to see you are starting to carry for sure. No one will get you over your concern of carrying a loaded gun, but yourself. I started out carrying with an empty chamber. That lasted 1 whole day as I realized that the gun will be exactly where it is. With a more secured holster, you'll get over this concern more quickly. Once your wife realizes that loaded or unloaded as long as the gun sits/stored securely, she will be less concerned. I don't carry OWB so I can't recommend a holster.

In case you didn't know, you can't simply have the gun unloaded, but also must have ammo separated in separate containers and everything placed in the trunk of your car. Needless to say, it's best to get your license to carry ASAP.

I wanted to reiterate and support Jayhawker's "Don't ride the slide" comment. The round may not be seated properly if you rode the slide. If you must continually cycle your rounds, throw out the one you have cycled 3 times, but inspect the round each of previous time. I don't see visible impact of this on my JHP 9mm, but after 3 chamberings of the same 45ACP FMJ round in my 1911, I can see SIGNIFICANT bullet recessing into the case.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    If I understand you correctly, your concern about having a loaded gun in the car or tent has to do with legalities, not fear of a loaded weapon; if that is correct, your best solution is as Mythaeus said, to get your concealed carry permit.
    I have used holsters from Hunter and Brigade gunleather, which I liked a lot. The Brigade was custom made,and fit very well for longer periods of time. I have also used nylon from Uncle Mikes, which is super comfortable if you have a good belt, and absolutely awful if you don't. As Jayhawker advised, you need a good belt no matter what holster you use.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    All "nylon" is not created equal. Don't waste your time with the cheap soft flabby holsters like Bagmaster or the cushy Uncle Mike's-type. Leather is great, but is a bit heavier than a lot of the nylon gear - have you checked into Bianchi's Accumold holsters?

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=1 - the Accumold "sporting" holsters are along the bottom of this page, or check here: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=13 for the Duty series. The difference between the "sporting" and the LE holsters are twofold - the duty holsters are heavier in construction, and are geared to fit a 2 1/4" wide duty belt where the Sporting/Concealment holsters are fitted with belt slots/loops for 1 3/4" wide trouser/garrison belts. Even then, the construction of the non-LE holsters is rugged enough to stand up to most use in the field, as the "duty" gear must hold up day-in, day-out, in all weather conditions, and sliding in and out of the typical police cruiser, etc.

Having sold and handled a lot of the Accumold, I would recommend looking seriously at this for a field rig. The Accumold nylon is a harder shell-type material, although not like Kydex. Bianchi also lines these with a semi-protective lining that resembles heavy, dense felt, but is quite a bit more durable. You can have your pick of full LE-style holsters, sporting types, concealment belt-slides, and even a pancake holster in the lineup - if water repellent is on your priority list, the holsters (and belts) themselves are pretty impervious to moisture, or if you really wanted to get maximum waterproofing a good silicone sealant (look where they sell camping tents, or in the Wally-World shoe departments for boot treatments).

Above all, for comfort, GET A GOOD, STIFF BELT. Doesn't have to be a gun-belt specifically, but must have enough "body" to it to keep from a lot of flexing and sagging with the weight of the gun.
    Thanks for the holster info, I'll look into those suggestions. I have a good belt, its a stiff all leather carhart belt as wide as will fit through my usual pants/shorts. The belt wasn't my problem, it was how the holster I have wraps around my pants and belt at the same time, it tends to rock back and forth while I walk, which led to some discomfort after a long walk. My holster doesn't secure to my belt, it just wraps over it and pinches it to the waist of my pants. Its easy to get on and off, its just very solid feeling.

Brian
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,722 Senior Member
    I like the Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster for carrying in the woods. Its very solid and has a good retention system. I have carried A G-20 with 15 rounds of 10mm in it all day long, in the hot summer, without any serious discomfort. It's all hard composite plastic, but it is well designed and the paddle forms to your hip and distributes the weight so that your belt is not the only thing supporting the weight.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    I have never stated a fear of a weapon. I was asking about holsters.

In my state, it is legal to carry however you want on public lands, however on cities and towns, as well as in vehicles, you cannot have a concealed weapon without a permit. I have no fear of my gun.

Now hold on a minute... your words...

"she's not too keen with it being loaded in the car or the tent, and really, neither am I. "

The tent is your domicile, however temporary...why would that be a place to keep an unloaded firearm? If it's under the immediate control of a responsible adult, even if you have kids along with you...what constitutes a hazard?

For the purposes of this discussion, the car thing is moot...as you have explained...it's illegal in your state....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    If you want Nylon, the Blackhawk Serpa is a good choice.

If you want leather, I strongly recommend Mernickle Holsters. Reasonable prices, and worth every penny.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug