Defense while on crutches

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,115 Senior Member
As some of you may remember, I had Achilles tendon surgery a few years ago. During the recovery I was on crutches for about 3 months.

Now, PDTv has a spot on a disabled shooter in a wheelchair:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/07/20/disabled-shooter/

But what if you're on crutches? If you need them to stay upright, drawing a handgun may put you on the ground.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I'm just guessing, a gun pouch attached to one of the crutches.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    crutchv2.jpg

Sorry, I got nuthin'.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    This is where than whole amphibious............err ambidextrous thing comes in.

Carry on the side that isn't hurt, lean into the crutch, do a one handed draw (clearing the cover garment with your weapon hand hand), and proceed as the situation dictates.

This is why you need at least one wrong handed concealment holster, and you need to practice with said system.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

Carry on the side that isn't hurt, lean into the crutch, do a one handed draw (clearing the cover garment with your weapon hand hand), and proceed as the situation dictates.

This is why you need at least one wrong handed concealment holster, and you need to practice with said system.
    :that: :win:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    What about defense while in the shower, on the crapper or having sex...................never know when an attacker may try and take advantage of you while you are preoccupied :guns::tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What about defense while in the shower, on the crapper or having sex...................never know when an attacker may try and take advantage of you while you are preoccupied :guns::tooth:

I use a gun on a rope when I shower.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I use a gun on a rope when I shower.

Stick the gun behind the toilet paper roll while on the crapper....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If you pocket carry, like a pants cargo pocket with a good fitting pocket holster.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    And the draw stroke? How do you do it with the crutches in the way without falling over?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I was on crutches a while after my heart surgery, then knee replacement surgery. It was tricky. I used a little KelTec P3AT 380 in a pocket holster and I could get it out reasonably quick.

Thing is about being on crutches is that if you're standing still, you can normally only use 1 crutch for stability and that frees up the other hand.

After the knee surgery went sour, I was stuck with a walker for quite a while, which is actually more stable and easier to navigate than crutches. Now I'm a lot better and use a cane. In all cases, the Keltec in the pocket is my primary defense. Not perfect but better than nuttin'

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    The cane brings up another point: if you're using a cane, you'll need to carry on the side that is injured. Because the arm opposite the injury will be carrying the cane. (Don't watch "House" on how to use a cane. He does it wrong.)
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    With a crutch you lean into it with your armpit and draw / fire.. with a cane is another matter, either draw and fire with the opposite hand or drop the cane to draw and fire.
    I recommend lots of practice.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bream, you're right, cane is carried on the opposite of the weak side. But watching House to learn medical facts is like watching MSNBC to learn political truth.

Drawing a weapon if impaired is just one of the challenges we all find in self defense. Nobody can assume a perfect situation and practice just for that, as Doc recommends practicing for contingencies. We might be carrying groceries. It might be raining. We might be distracted by a companion. Or yes, we might be disabled one way or another.

Luckily, for me, although I'm a natural lefty I practiced right-hand shooting tons, a few years back when I busted up my left shoulder. Now I'm pretty okay either way (is that AC/DC?). And I usually carry my Keltec in my left hip pocket and have the cane in my right hand. So it works out "naturally" for me.

That doesn't make it easy however, and practice is the only way to close the gap. Of course there's no way to be certain you'll win the race, but if you think about it, most baddies don't expect the person to pull a gun in the first place and shoot them immediately in the second place. Who can predict an outcome? Nobody. We just have to be as prepared as much as common sense and decent planning can provide, and let the rest go.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    PFD wrote: »
    crutchv2.jpg

Sorry, I got nuthin'.

:beer: just to funny
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    ................ drawing a handgun may put you on the ground.

Taking cover......?
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Eli wrote: »

I should have learned that after my shoulder surgery. I didn't have a left side holster and was basically unarmed. Did I go out and buy a weak side holster? Of course not. Some of us are destined to repeat our mistakes.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I should have learned that after my shoulder surgery. I didn't have a left side holster and was basically unarmed. Did I go out and buy a weak side holster? Of course not. Some of us are destined to repeat our mistakes.

When I was around ten years old, I spent a little over a year (not all at the same time) with my right arm in a cast.

While I've reverted back to being right handed, I can still get by with my left. Most people are a little better shooter with their off hand, I think it has something to do with the concentration that they put into unfamiliar activities, but I'm actually a little faster on the draw with my left hand......always found that to be a bit strange.