Which ammo is best

joevch56joevch56 New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
I have recently purchased a Px4 Storm 45 acp. I use 233grn FMJ for target shooting. What would you recommend for self defense. Some say 185grn jacketed hollow point are best. I am just looking for more imput.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.

I use what ever shoots well in a hp.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    :agree: Just make sure it functions well with your pistol.

Ditto on the welcome. Keep asking questions and the gun gurus here will answer with knowledgeable, insightful and inspirational posts. And I will answer as well.:roll::tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • jj33002jj33002 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    The thing I see people doing that has never made any sense to me is that they will only target shoot using the FMJ, no problem with this as it is a cheap load and you can get a lot of practice. The problem lies whenever they then buy the more expensive hollow points strictly for defense but never shoot them. I know that in most cases you will be fine and the hollow points will shoot when you need them too, but how can you be completely sure unless you actually go through several boxes of them at the range. Just my 2 cents, but I would say that if you are planning on using the hollow points for self-defense, which in my opinion, is the way to go. Then spend a little extra and actually do some practice with them also.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    The prioritization laid out by the FBI:

#1. Shot placement - if your bullet doesn't hit something vital, your problems remain unsolved
    #2. Penetration - if your bullet doesn't reach something vital, your problems remain unsolved.
    #3. Expansion - provided that your aim is delivery is good and that expansion doesn't come at the expense of inadequate penetration, a bigger hole is better.

What is NOT a factor with handguns is hydrostatic shock or "energy dump", unless you're dealing with the unelastic areas of the carcass (skull and liver) - the velocities are simply too low. You'll typically damage the tissues that come into physical contact with the bullet, and not much else.

A light-for-caliber bullet, such as the 185 grain .45 you bring up, may help recoil-sensitive folks with shot placement, but there's a very good chance of it suffering in the area of penetration - given equal diameters and roughly equivalent speeds, a heavier slug will need more resistance to stop. Top-end hollowpoints of the .45ACP's traditional 230 grain weight will reliably meet the FBI's desired 12-inches-plus, and will do it more consistently over a longer distance (due to retained velocity).

The camp I DO NOT belong to is that of folks who are so paranoid about overpentration that they cripple their ammunition. The reality is that the modern duty round that DOES completely transect a torso has so little juice left that it is often stopped by the clothing or skin on the far side of the body. Another fact of life is that the majority of rounds fired in shootings MISS, forcing bystanders to deal with the effect of a round that has penetrated NOTHING before it comes their way. Taken together - save yourself before you worry about saving the world.

I also do not worship at the altar of one brand of ammunition. Industry specs say what pressures are safe for a given cartridge, the FBI says what a bullet should do, and physics says that lead and copper alloys are the best materials to make them out of. So long as it's heavy for caliber, such as a 147 grain 9mm, 158 grain (or heavier) .38, 180 grain .40, or 230 grain .45, any of the big manufacturers top-end hollowpoints (which are manufactured for better reliability than their plinker grade stuff) will serve you well.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,180 Senior Member
    I don't care for "light" bullets in a .45....I use 230 grain ball ammo for practice, 230 grain Hornady TAPs for carry...however...I buy new SD ammo every 6 months or so and shoot up the old stuff...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"